Thread: [ERU] trying to get Rural BROADBAND

ERU
    Thanks

[ERU] trying to get Rural BROADBAND

Just in case anyone was wondering where that nice chap [ERU] was; he's had a bit of house trouble and was basically on his mates sofa and struggling with some pretty spectacular journies down the M6 to work each day.
    I basically was looking for a new house but was told by two landlords that they changed their minds at the last minute (****ers tbh...)

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I have been eventually been accepted to rent a lovely country cottage near to work - country views in all directions. It's pretty dam nice apart from the graveyard in front of it!

It was after all this that i said ARGH!!!!!!

For Address ************************************* on Exchange *************

Your exchange will have ADSL broadband by 1st December 2004.

Our initial test at your address indicates that you should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the speed of service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

After thinking about the looming 65k it seems i might have solved my broadband problem \o/

CENTRAL POINT SATELLITE BROADBAND
    256K = £18.50 p/m
    512K = £28.50 p/m
    1024K = £38.50 p/m
    2048K = £55.50 p/m
    -Activation on all the above = £15.00

Our supplier, AVC Broadband constantly monitors the traffic over the satellite transponder that we use. If the system becomes congested, they can quickly provide more satellite space, which is provided by its parent company, Astra. It has been in the satellite business for many years.
    To receive satellite internet my computer must be equipped with a DVB device (i.e. a Technisat SkyStar 2) which can receive digital TV or internet data. These are £54.99 *new* from the ISP but i'm sure i can find a cheaper alternative. Even so i could probably eBay it after a few months for a decent price. I am also thinking a cheap TV card will do the same, any ideas?

You can use your existing ISP dial up connection or they can arrange an 0845 connection, which is charged at normal local rate; so i guessing you also need a dialup connection to use this service. I'm also wondering where the actual satellite comes from but they dont seem expensive in the local freeads anyway.

The minimum contract period is also one month so if you want to stop using the service you just contact them and they'll terminate your account at the end of the current payment month.

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    When all is said and done though mate, Its probably only a month you'd be with b/band? I had to nearly a year of it (from moving from a DSL house to a non DSL house), so a month isn't REALLY that bad.

Satalite offers some good d/load speeds, however, you still need a modem for upload. Just seems like a fair bit of money (new hardware, activation, dial up etc) when you consider DSL could be a month away.

Thread Information