Thread: Connecting two properties by WiFi - TP Link WA5210G?

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Connecting two properties by WiFi - TP Link WA5210G?

I gave up on the idea I had a while ago of linking two properties by WiFi due to cost, complexity and uncertainty over performance.

But, I've just stumbled across the TP-Link TL-WA5210G which seems like it could do the trick.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/detai...del=TL-WA5210G

Going by TP Link's description, with a pair working in a bridge, I should be able to connect two buildings that are 100m apart with the line of sight just partially obstructed by other buildings ~1m.

At £50 for each WA5210G, the project should cost no more than £150 including cables and fittings. As the ADSL connection at the 2nd property costs £15/m this system should pay for itself in less than a year.

Thoughts?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Connecting two properties by WiFi - TP Link WA5210G?

It looks like an elegant solution, only reservation might be interference from other installations. It might be worth looking at the TL-WA7510N, same thing but 5GHz operating band.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/detai...del=TL-WA7510N

If you added the directional antenna, that would also reduce the potential for side lobe interference, but you could try it first with the built in antennae. TP don't specify a range, but 00m LoS should not be a problem. The link speed is potentially higher too, giving you greater throughput.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

Sounds like a bold plan. I am curious why adding a line to the other property is not an option..

I bought a good wifi router a few years back (when wireless N was becoming mainstream) to try a simiar idea from my flat to my detached garage about 10m from my router and the whole thing was a complete failure. Barely got 1 bar of strength.

Your kit looks ALOT better than the crap I bought.

Good luck
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks

Have you proved that the second property can pick up the wifi, at the point where the bridge would be installed, from the first property? If a mobile phone/laptop can't pick up the wifi signal then very unlikely that a wireless bridge will.
    My mum used to piggyback from my sisters house, 40 foot distance; 1 external wall and 1insulated wooden workshop wall and signal was barely detectable.
    She did recently have a wireless router in the house, this time only 20 feet from the workshop and that was a tiny bit better.
    But she's just gone to BT and the idiots have moved the router another wall and another 12 feet away. I will try for the third time to persuade them that their installation is incompetent - if someone tells me that they are going to change the frequency one more time then I may just get on a plane to northern India and do an an Eddie Shoestring on the call centre.
    BTW I thought that 5GHz had a weaker signal?

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    It looks like an elegant solution, only reservation might be interference from other installations. It might be worth looking at the TL-WA7510N, same thing but 5GHz operating band.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/detai...del=TL-WA7510N

If you added the directional antenna, that would also reduce the potential for side lobe interference, but you could try it first with the built in antennae. TP don't specify a range, but 00m LoS should not be a problem. The link speed is potentially higher too, giving you greater throughput.
    Good call, the 5GHz 150N version you linked is only around £10 dearer. However, 5GHz antennas are harder to come by and are a bit more expensive compared to the much more common 2.4GHz ones. Hmm, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayburnout View Post
    Sounds like a bold plan. I am curious why adding a line to the other property is not an option..

I bought a good wifi router a few years back (when wireless N was becoming mainstream) to try a simiar idea from my flat to my detached garage about 10m from my router and the whole thing was a complete failure. Barely got 1 bar of strength.

Your kit looks ALOT better than the crap I bought.

Good luck
    When you say adding a line, do you mean running a cable over? I'd love to but it's 100m between the two properties, more specifically, that's across two streets and five houses. That would also involve speaking to my neighbour - who still owes me a bag of sugar and a new bumper for my Aygo...

Quote Originally Posted by snedger View Post
    Have you proved that the second property can pick up the wifi, at the point where the bridge would be installed, from the first property? If a mobile phone/laptop can't pick up the wifi signal then very unlikely that a wireless bridge will.
    My mum used to piggyback from my sisters house, 40 foot distance; 1 external wall and 1insulated wooden workshop wall and signal was barely detectable.
    She did recently have a wireless router in the house, this time only 20 feet from the workshop and that was a tiny bit better.
    But she's just gone to BT and the idiots have moved the router another wall and another 12 feet away. I will try for the third time to persuade them that their installation is incompetent - if someone tells me that they are going to change the frequency one more time then I may just get on a plane to northern India and do an an Eddie Shoestring on the call centre.
    BTW I thought that 5GHz had a weaker signal?
    Both properties already have a wired and wireless LAN. The idea is to mount a pair of these devices outside, one on the roof of each building and connect it by cable to the existing LAN. The pair will only function as a wireless bridge between the two properties with the existing WiFi APs doing their regular jobs.

Thread Information