Thread: Replacing a BT Home Hub

Thanks

Replacing a BT Home Hub

I've been keeping an eye on this ever so sketchy item of uselessness and i'm now convinced that it need's to die and be replaced (not in that order preferably).

Despite advertising is does the latest N standards, the speeds bounce about all over the place, never anymore than an advertised 72MB. BT have been about as much use as a hole in the head and claim that I have no issues, and that they can't help with any faults on the internal network, despite also claiming that I have no option but to use their equipment on my internal network (then surely they're responsible).

After taking every ounce of self control to not rip the guy a new asshole, I thanked him for his utter lack of understanding of the issue and congratulated him on his sales technique for Sky Broadband.

Getting back to the serious mater at hand, can I get anyone else's ethernet router and plug it in? I utterly detest cheap equipment and this BT thing needs to go!!

Cheers

Thanks
    • TheDutyPaid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Gryphon Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB and 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 560ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • 1953 Bush AC-34 Radio now case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Samsung & 27" ASUS
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity, Fast :-)

Re: Replacing a BT Home Hub

Do you just have the hub without the openreach modem?

The home hub is not a bad piece of kit, but sadly the power supply is as ropey as they come. You may want to try a new power supply first, any 12v 1A will do just check tip polarity.

To answer your question, you can use any other ADSL router.

You need to ensure that your router is configured to work on ADSL lines in the UK.

You also require your BT Broadband username. This was given to you at the time you ordered broadband and is usually made up of your.name@btbroadband.com where 'your' equals your first name and 'name' equals your surname, for example joe.bloggs@btbroadband.com. BT Broadband does not require that you enter a password to connect, but some routers won't connect to the Internet without a password. If this is the case, enter the word BT

Thanks

Nada… I'm on infinity so I've got the white box on the wall too. I'm not even sure where the username and password setup sits with my equipment, hence the hesitancy with just replacing it.

If the sign ins are that generic, I'll pop out this weekend and pick up something!

Cheers

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

Are you using 2.4GHz device or 5GHz? On my phone that uses 2.4GHz frequency, I only get 40 Mb/s , where as on my laptop that connects via AC 5GHz, I get a solid 75 Mb/s down all the time. On my phone, it can go up to 65,but it varies during the day etc - I believe this is due to wireless interference.
    XBOX Live - Sheep Sardine | Origin - MrRockliffe | Steam - MrRockliffe |

Add me

Thanks
    • TheDutyPaid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Gryphon Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB and 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 560ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • 1953 Bush AC-34 Radio now case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Samsung & 27" ASUS
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity, Fast :-)

As you have both boxes you will need to replace the router part with a VDSL type, as you still need to use the modem. Something like the draytek vigor 2860 is the king of the hill.

This is the web address for your router, http://bthomehub.home/ check your error logs, a new router needs to be set up over PPPoE

I have found replacing the cable that links the modem to the HomeHub with a higher quality cable jumped my speeds up and two new high quality PSU's helped the whole setup. Also the modem sits on a tiny note book cooler which is USB powered from the router and stops drop outs from the modem getting hot, but as you have yours on a wall it should be ok.

Thread Information