Thread: Sending USB data wirelessly

Registered+
    Thanks

Sending USB data wirelessly

Would it be possible to have a PC in room A, but a wireless keyboard & mouse controlling it from room B (over Wifi)? Maybe a webcam too.

I guess I'm asking if there is any way to wirelessly transmit usb data? So the PC will be at a desk in room A, but a HDMI feed will be sent to room B where it will be used as a HTPC, web browser and Skype.

There must be a way of doing this and avoiding having to buy a PC for each room?

Muchos gracias in advance

Thanks

Re: Sending USB data wirelessly

A standard wireless keyboard and mouse should do that part. Any respectable brand will have a good range. Do keep in mind that Bluetooth has a great range in open spaces, but degrades quite fast once you start going through walls.

Pair them up with a wireless camera and you're set: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/produc...er-wifi-webcam

There are devices that make USB wireless, but they seem very expensive and difficult to get. Sadly wireless USB never really took off: http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...s-usb-i-994212
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

3. Received thanks from:

bonn4lolly (27-08-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks Agent - I didn't know that wireless cameras existed.

I'm not sure that a wireless keyboard & mouse would be picked up, as Room B is upstairs and across a room. Any other options? I know you can send wired keyboard & mouse through ethernet, but I'm guessing this wouldn't help for a wireless setup.

The best I can come up with is a mouse & keyboard app on my android phone. Seems daft you can do this, but not actually with a real keyboard/mouse?!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonn4lolly View Post
    I know you can send wired keyboard & mouse through ethernet, but I'm guessing this wouldn't help for a wireless setup
    Actually, yes. You can do USB over ethernet: http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Ethernet.../dp/B0029HRYBK

That's just the first random link I came across, plenty more to choose from. I didn't mention it in my last post as I assumed if you could run a CAT cable, you could run a long USB one.

You can then put a USB hub on the end, put your wireless dongles (and wireless / wired webcam) in, and you're set.

edit - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-ADAPTO...-/140983127425
    For a fiver, it's worth a shot. No big loss if it doesn't work

6. Received thanks from:

bonn4lolly (27-08-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Sorry, I've not made myself clear - a long ethernet cable is not an option. I was speculating as to whether the USB to Ethernet device could be used over a wireless network - after a little research it is clear that it cannot.

So I think my best option is to go with a wireless camera and then an android device for mouse and keyboard purposes.

It's a shame that the wireless HDMI trnasmitters are so expensive, otherwise I could have one PC supplying 2 rooms entirely wirelessly...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonn4lolly View Post
    I was speculating as to whether the USB to Ethernet device could be used over a wireless network - after a little research it is clear that it cannot.
    Ah, got you.

It won't work because the USB -> Ethernet dongles are just mapping pins to wires. They are not actually translating the USB protocol into an ethernet one and back again. Once you add wireless in...nothing is ever going to get transmitted as it's not part of the ethernet signal as such. I suspect you've figured this out by now though

Thread Information