Thread: BT Hub 5 connection issue via ethernet :(

Thanks

BT Hub 5 connection issue via ethernet :(

Hey guys I really hope you can help me out with this one as I couldn't find much help on Google.

I have a desktop and have been connecting to the internet with a Canyon USB adapter and had no connection issues.
    I just bought an Ethernet cable for consistency and upon plugging it in it takes some time to pick up then just follows to show the little yellow triangle with an exclamation down the middle in the bottom right of the screen and says 'Unidentified Network' and it won't connect to the internet.

I tried running windows diagnostic test and it identifies 'An Ethernet cable may be unplugged or broken' and 'local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration'
    I am pretty certain the cable is fine as it is picking up the router but not able to identify it and get online.
    I tried setting a static IP config on ipv4 but it didn't work (the values I got from the BT support site), I have disabled ipv6.

I'm really confused and not sure how to fix it, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bradley.
    The more one seeks, the more one finds and so you realise there is a lot more to be found.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Re: BT Hub 5 connection issue via ethernet :(

Just to confirm, you are plugging your PC into the yellow sockets on the back of the Home Hub?

If not, have you got another network cable to try?

Thanks

Yes, the yellow sockets are what I've tried. I do but it's far too short, I'll try move my PC to the router tomorrow and test the other cable.
    The more one seeks, the more one finds and so you realise there is a lot more to be found.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave87 View Post

Just to confirm, you are plugging your PC into the yellow sockets on the back of the Home Hub?

If not, have you got another network cable to try?
    You were right man, It was the cable, so weird because the link is there it just doesn't identify the hub, plug the other cable in and voila. Just going to have to send it back. they are both cat5 cables however this one I ordered feels rather cheap (soft covering)
    Thanks anyway

Thread Information