Thread: DLNA Streaming Audio Drop-Outs

Thanks

DLNA Streaming Audio Drop-Outs

My set-up is: Onkyo TX-NR609 DLNA receiver connected to a TP-Link, VirginMedia broadband Hub connected to a TP-Link.

My laptop Lenovo is running Windows 10, stored with FLAC & MP3 music files.

Serviio media server is running on the laptop. Laptop is running on WiFI not connected to Tp-Link.

On playback through Onkyo connected to HiFi system, there is frequent audio drop-outs lasting 0.5 to 1 sec, sometimes quite long drop-outs- 20-30 sec.

I would like to know if (1) laptop (3) Serciio server or (3) network is the problem. Once identified, how do I rectify the fault?
    Regards
    William

Thanks

Re: DLNA Streaming Audio Drop-Outs

As a first step I'd connect the laptop with an ethernet cable. It isn't entirely obvious what device the receiver is connect to (you mention 2 x TP-Link, but TP-Link what? Router? AP? Switch?) but try to connect the laptop into the same switch and see how that goes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by burble View Post
    As a first step I'd connect the laptop with an ethernet cable. It isn't entirely obvious what device the receiver is connect to (you mention 2 x TP-Link, but TP-Link what? Router? AP? Switch?) but try to connect the laptop into the same switch and see how that goes.
    Thank you for your response.
    I need to be more precise for you to help me.
    Both the TP-Links are AP Powerline adaptors with single ports for an Ethernet cable, hence I cannot connect my laptop to either of the APs. My Broadband hub is upstairs in the study, which has 4 Ethernet ports and my laptop sits downstairs in the sitting room (a normal 4-bed detached house). Should I connect my laptop to one of these Hub ports?
    After my first post, Onkyo cannot see the Serviio Server but sees USER-PC:Will's Laptop, which is my laptop. Before this was seen and Serviio too and I was using Serviio to access my tracks from my laptop. So I do not know what has gone wrong.
    If you may, could you please guide me from the START to set this up- may even need to set up file sharing correctly from my laptop. I could attach some screen shots bit I cannot see the option here.
    Regards
    William

Thanks

Can you draw a quick diagram of what's connected where? That'll really help.

Thanks

A very basic question; How do i attach the sketch here. I find no options for attachments.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

You need 5 posts to be able to post links. You can then link to Flickr or other hosting service.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Thank you for your patience. I connected the laptop to the Hub with Ethernet cable and there is no drop-out. I would like to connect the laptop to another TP-Link nearer to where I have it. I assume the result will be same as connecting to the Hub. Your thougts please.

Unfortunately I had to use Mezzmo and Twonky to do the test. When laptop is wired, Serviio says "no item" so I cannot stream with this. Why that is I need to learn. Any suggestios for this?
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wtaylorbasil View Post
    Thank you for your patience. I connected the laptop to the Hub with Ethernet cable and there is no drop-out. I would like to connect the laptop to another TP-Link nearer to where I have it. I assume the result will be same as connecting to the Hub. Your thougts please.
    I can't say. You haven't said what this other TP-Link is. Router? AP? Switch? If you're planning on having the server and receiver on different sides of a powerline link then it's possible the problems will remain. Your problems could be down to faulty powerline hardware, in which case replacing it or doing firmware updates may help. Alternatively it could be down to the electrical cabling - if both ends of the powerline link are on different circuits then all sorts of weirdness can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wtaylorbasil View Post
    Unfortunately I had to use Mezzmo and Twonky to do the test. When laptop is wired, Serviio says "no item" so I cannot stream with this. Why that is I need to learn. Any suggestios for this?
    Thanks
    I've never used Serviio so can't help but why not use Twonky if that works? I used to use Twonky and found it very good.

Thanks

When I connect my laptop directly to the Onkyo DLNA receiver, selecting Serviio shows "no item" on the screen. So what settings do I need to alter?

Thanks

As I said, I've never use Serviio so can't help with that question.

Thanks

Thank you for your efforts. I know the fault now. Onkyo took a long time to reply and they have accepted liability to refund or repair the 2009-2012 affected receivers.
    This may help others: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/customer-...am-118747.html
    William

Thread Information