Thread: Really poor wifi from desktop.

Thanks

Really poor wifi from desktop.

I am not lucky enough to have network sockets in every room, nor am I likely to this side of moving house again so I am on wireless for most devices, mainly just for internet connectivity from my BT HH5.

From my laptop and phone I can get good internet speeds (28Mbps) upstairs on my desk but for some reason the desktop, a Shuttle XS35GS v3 with build in 802.11b/g/n wireless only gets around 1 or 2 Mbps.

Tried changing channels and rebooting everything, but the issue continues to persist and has done for the last three years. On a cable it is fine but running it diagonally over the house up the stairs is not a long term fix!

Thoughts on what is up with it?

Daniel

Thanks
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

Re: Really poor wifi from desktop.

I've had similar issues in the past with desktops (not a Shuttle specifically) but powerline adapters have always been a simpler solution than actually getting to the bottom of the problem. My best guess was usually electromagnetic interference from poorly shielded components, sometimes rubbish drivers don't help...

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Poor wifi card/antenna.

Best bet is to get a replacement pci Wireless adaptor. (Providing you've got a free socket!)
    Plenty to choose from and they're fairly cheap these days.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Another vote for powerline adapters. The AV500 ones are cheap enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Poor wifi card/antenna.
    Best bet is to get a replacement pci Wireless adaptor. (Providing you've got a free socket!)
    Plenty to choose from and they're fairly cheap these days.
    Ok,

The network shows as full signal strength, but it sounds like short of having a quick look on some shuttle-specific sites and or contacting shuttle it might just be as well to move on.

Its a really tiny machine and the current/supplied wifi card* already sits in the only slot which an internal Mini-PCIE slot so it would likely be a USB dongle-type I would have to go for. I presume you can get reasonable ones of these?

*Apparently the current/supplied card is a Realtek 8188CE

One of my parents friend is a radio ham, and having heard his take on how much powerline adapters interfere with just about everything involving his hobby now that the ones BT supplied have died I would rather find at alternative. I must say, I have literally no idea how they can be legally sold given that by nature they spew 100's of times more noise into the main than allowable. Not that they dont work really well.

Daniel

Registered+
    Thanks
    • AlSomething's system
      • CPU:
      • i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD, 1TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX 765M
      • Case:
      • PC Specailist Laptop
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Hi

If your against powerline adaptors, then try a USB dongle but use it on an USB extension lead so if it is interference it's less likely to be a problem again. I can't recommend one but a good branded one with a good review or two should be fine.

As for the powerline adaptors, yes I've heard they can cause problems for animator radio hobbyists, but only if they are with a shortish distance of you. If there isn't a person or club near you I wouldn't worry.

If you want to investigate further what is the transfer rate when 1.5 metres away from the router? It might not be interference from the PC itself.

Take care

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlSomething View Post
    Hi
    ... then try a USB dongle but use it on an USB extension lead so if it is interference it's less likely to be a problem again. I can't recommend one but a good branded one with a good review or two should be fine.

If you want to investigate further what is the transfer rate when 1.5 metres away from the router? It might not be interference from the PC itself.
    Sounds like a plan. They are not after all that expensive, and I could also make use of it when on the narrowboat, as often inside a metal tube at the bottom of the ditch gets much worse wifi than you would 6ft up.

If I get change I will move the pc and a moniter downstairs next to the hub and try that, but other than the monitors and an analogy amp theres very little else in the room and it does need to be in this room!

Cheers.

Daniel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlSomething View Post
    As for the powerline adaptors, yes I've heard they can cause problems for animator radio hobbyists, but only if they are with a shortish distance of you. If there isn't a person or club near you I wouldn't worry.
    Google results appear to be mixed, and he did say that going round to next door and offering to set up a decent wifi system was often the best option. But as the same time, I guess its also hard to know if there is a person or club near by. One of the things he seems to do is take his kit and use it to project a service to outdoors events and the like. That said why anyone would come to Uttoxeter out of choice is lost on me. Handy for work and good roads out....

Cheers again.

Daniel

Thread Information