Thread: Switch cascade stopped working

Thanks

Switch cascade stopped working

I have a 3COM Baseline 2024 switch with 14 ports used. On one end I have a user with 2 pcs, so I connected a 8 port switch (in cascade with the 3Com) so the user can connect to the network on both computers. It was working fine, until last friday. The UPS was beeping in the morning so I suspect something happened diring the night involving the energy power. All computers had access to the network, except for the two with the extra swithch, so I thought the small switch had gone bad. I replaced i with a new one, but still no network access. If I connect just one pc, it works fine, but if I conncet the small switch not even the led on the 3Com will light. Any ideas?

Splash

Re: Switch cascade stopped working

and if you connect the 8 port switch to a different port? The 3com is a dumb switch, so it's possible that it's just a port failure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    and if you connect the 8 port switch to a different port? The 3com is a dumb switch, so it's possible that it's just a port failure.
    Thamks. Already did. Tried with 2 different 8 port switches on different 3Com ports. Same result. Strange, because if I don't use the second switch, and I connect a single computer to the network wall socket the computer works fine. It is when connecting the switch to the network socket that it won't work. It used to be ok, and all of a sudden it doesn't work. Do you know if I should (or can) reset the 3Com?

Splash

Honestly? I'd just replace the switch. It's a 24 port 100Mbps dumb switch that's a minimum of 6 years old (3com were acquired by HP in 2010) - you could replace it with a cheap TP-Link for £30 (less if you don't need 24 ports), and you've probably put that value of time into troubleshooting this. As it's a dumb switch there's not much you can do to troubleshoot beyond what you have done, and there's no config to reset.

Thread Information