Thread: Wake On Lan - Windows 10

Thanks

Wake On Lan - Windows 10

I have been having some trouble recently with WOL and Windows 10. The new machines from the last couple of years seem fine and will wake from off, sleep etc and also pattern match is also working well.

Depending on the machine I am getting different issues. Some will wake from off or sleep no problem but pattern match doesnt seem to be working. Others wouldnt WOL at all.

Note that all of the settings were set correctly as in BIOS is set for WOL and in the driver. I also tried different combo's just to be sure. The network lights are blinking as they should when the machines are off.

The current one I am looking at is a Dell Optiplex 960 and I am using the built in Intel 82567LM-3

This one initially would not wake up from off or sleep and pattern match wasnt working. I then found that it would wake up if I shut it down using shutdown /s /t 0
    I had read earlier that Fastboot was the issue but the option wasnt showing. I re-enabled hibernation and I was then able to access that option and removed it. It would appear that disabling hibernation doesnt fully undo Fastboot as I had read.

Anyway once that was off I could then shutdown the usual way and it will WOL. YAY.... however,

It still doesnt wake up if it is asleep. I also disabled hyrbid sleep in the power saving options as well but that didnt work.

I have tried an older BIOS version I have tried different drivers, although I need to try some combos again after turning fastboot off.

Okay, so has anyone else had similar problems and figured it out and clues may help. Personally I think it must be something to do with sleep states and how Windows 10 uses them. I have also had problems with new machines using the ASUS H110I-PLUS where pattern match didnt work.
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 11-10-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks

Re: Wake On Lan - Windows 10

Other things I have just tried to get waking from sleep working and pattern match working. Unsucessfully.

1) Setting TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper to Autmoatic in Services

2) Disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP. in the adncaed tab of the network adapter under IPv4 (also enabling just in case)
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 11-10-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks

To get WOL working from switched off after fastboot was disabled it seems for this particular intel device you need to have the Intel PROSET software installed (called Intel Network Connections in Unistall Programs) as well. I have tried two versions 15.x and the latest 22.7.18.0
    To get it to install though I had to use certain drivers. The driver I was using was a 2016 Microsoft driver (reports the correct model) and the network was fine but PROSET would not install. Installing an older 2010 driver from Dell allowed PROSET to then install. Auto update pulls down 12/07/2012 12.1.77.0 which doesnt work either from sleep or pattern match.

The newer version gives additional options but it still doesnt seem to work with pattern match and WOL from Sleep. So far...
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 11-10-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks

I have now moved on to looking at seeing if the Intel Management Engine and AMT are the cause.

--

Well after loading up ME there was a section on power saving and a setting was set to only wake on s0. I changed it to S0, S3, S4 & S5 but it made no difference. It still didnt wake up from sleep.

Now on to seeing if the ME driver in windows needs updating and seeing if there are ME realted stuff for the 960 from Dell.
    Installed the Intel Management Engine Interface in System Devices 5.2.0.1008 23/06/2009. Dell download called Intel ME5 Host Embedded Controller Interface Driver 5.2.70.1046 10/4/2012. Made no difference

Intel Serial Over LAN/Local Management Service Driver 5.2.70.1046 10/4/2012 I think this may have installed a program called Intel Management and Security Status which doesnt seem of any use in the waking from sleep aspect directly. Didnt help with waking up anyway.

Installed Intel AMT SOL/LMS Driver 5.2.40.1037 1/7/2011 Possibly the same as one of the above but cant tell.. why cant they keep to a naming convention.

None of it so far has worked
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 11-10-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks

Well I pretty much gave up trying to solve the issue with the Intel 82567LM-3 on board the Dell Optiplex 960. Other than trying different versions of the Intel PROSET, I could probably test it with Windows 7 and a fresh install of Win 10 but I am not in the mood.

It seems to me that the Intel 82567LM-3 does not wake on WOL or pattern match when asleep at least on the Optiplex 960.

I have added a Broadcom PCI-e network card and that wakes up no problem, from off or sleep.

Thread Information