Thread: Home Network Patch Panel and Switch Advice

Thanks

Home Network Patch Panel and Switch Advice

A mate is currently finishing his new house and has run about 10 to 14 CAT 6 cables to the different rooms. The electrician has wired up the cables into the sockets in the rooms, but was after some advice on hardware for a little network cupboard he is going to build.

Along with his broadband modem/router (yet to be installed), I was thinking hard wiring the CAT 6 into a 16 port patch panel, then having a 16 port switch. Along the lines of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00UTYN9j0FE

Was looking at a TP LINK or Netgear gigabit switch for around £60. As for patch panels I'm not sure. Has anyone any manufacturers and examples I can recommend?

Or any other advice I can pass along.

Thanks

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Home Network Patch Panel and Switch Advice

First thing I would say is check the electrician's wiring in the room sockets - some don't realise the importance of maintaining the twist in each pair right up the the punchdown terminal. Ive seen installations where there have been a couple of inches of untwisted wire flapping about and inviting cross talk and reflections with a severe impact on speed.

As for cat 6 panels CableMonkey has a good selection. Here is one https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6-p...045700370.html

24 port seems to be the smallest they do - its a standard 19" rack size. You may be able to find smaller elsewhere
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

3. Received thanks from:

Tyrannosaur (10-12-2018)

Thanks

Thanks peterb for the info regarding the wiring will have a look this week. Do you know if there is much difference between the one you linked to at £60 and say this one from Scan for £18? https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan...-1u-punch-down cause it's quite a big difference in price.

Also I've noticed there are 2 standards you can use to connect them A and B. I take it these need to be the same at each end?

blueball

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    Thanks peterb for the info regarding the wiring will have a look this week. Do you know if there is much difference between the one you linked to at £60 and say this one from Scan for £18? https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan...-1u-punch-down cause it's quite a big difference in price.

Also I've noticed there are 2 standards you can use to connect them A and B. I take it these need to be the same at each end?
    Go with B at both ends, if you want a crossover cable put A at one end and B at the other

Thanks

From the photos, the Cable Monrey one looks a bit sturdier, and may be a better build quality - they supply the professional market, but at that price differential, the Scan one is worth a punt.

The B standard is the most common one (at least in Europe) so go for that.

You might want to have a look at this... https://www.fs.com/uk/products/73403.html

For data cabinets

https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/391-wa...-data-cabinets

but there is the Scan one here

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan...lack-flat-pack
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

just a thought.. you could use tombstones on thre ends of cables & it will be much easier. No need to have a panel as such. By all means have it in a cabinet, but they you can choose the cabinet size/shape and make it more domestic and less IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    just a thought.. you could use tombstones on thre ends of cables & it will be much easier. No need to have a panel as such. By all means have it in a cabinet, but they you can choose the cabinet size/shape and make it more domestic and less IT.
    I find RJ45 plugs work better! - you will need to use cat6 plugs to maintain performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAK33
    but the tombstones are Cat6.. and they can dangle straight, and are easy to fit, no? ie no bends.. minimal untwisting. So if there were a dozen of those hanging.. then other RJ45 can be plugged into them? Just a thought...

(I think the above was meant to be a rely with quote, but he edited the post instead - now where's my "guide to administration" - I'll send it to him - wrapped round a brick: )
    Last edited by peterb; 11-12-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: corrections
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

I hadn't thought of doing it like that Zak33. Using these? https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6-m...ne-module.html

Thanks, gives me a few options to talk to him about.

He probably doesn't 'need' a patch panel but I thought it would be better in the long run so cables have a more permanent place and don't get damaged. Plus some nice coloured patch cables can make it look nice and neat.

As for switches, is there much to choose between manufacturers? CableMonkey seem to do Netgear, TP Link, D Link and Linksys all offering similar solutions at the same kind of prices.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    I hadn't thought of doing it like that Zak33. Using these? https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6-m...ne-module.html

Thanks, gives me a few options to talk to him about.

He probably doesn't 'need' a patch panel but I thought it would be better in the long run so cables have a more permanent place and don't get damaged. Plus some nice coloured patch cables can make it look nice and neat.

As for switches, is there much to choose between manufacturers? CableMonkey seem to do Netgear, TP Link, D Link and Linksys all offering similar solutions at the same kind of prices.

Thanks again.
    I tend to use Netgear - never had any problems with them, but I suspect they are all much of a muchness!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

11. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (11-12-2018)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I got some than Gonzo suggested ages ago... only used two.. but yes.. similar to those. OK it's not as pretty but .. it's easier, and very effective.. and actually, once labelled... very tidy. Just secure the cable somewhere so it cant be "pulled" to far.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZAK33
    but the tombstones are Cat6.. and they can dangle straight, and are easy to fit, no? ie no bends.. minimal untwisting. So if there were a dozen of those hanging.. then other RJ45 can be plugged into them? Just a thought...
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'tombstones' - you could terminate the wall cables in RJ45 plugs and plug them straight into the switch - a patch panel just makes for a more professional layout. You would need a coupler to connect two plugs together.
    You also need a cable stripper and crimper to terminate them properly - and it is fiddly! A patch panel only needs a punch down tool and a tie bar makes for a neat and secure installation with a few cable ties.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information