Thread: Adding a new machine to a network with a domain?

Thanks

Question Adding a new machine to a network with a domain?

I need to add a new 2K machine to an NT Server, the network uses a domain. How do I go about adding the new pc to the domain??

Because at the moment it wont allow the pc to join……

Thanks in advance.

rough_neck

Thanks
    you can try to create the computer accoun on the NT server 1st (from server manager on the NT server )

you'll also need the domain admin password to be able to join the 2k machine to the domain ( from my computer -> properties -> computer ID ) use the full NT Domain name ( not the DNS one ) and it ought to join without too much complaining.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Excellent I will try that tomorrow

Cheers

rough_neck

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Make sure you've not got a drive mapped to Domain resource or have a domain resource open before trying to join the domain.

Thanks
    if you need to check go into cmd and type net use if there's stuff listed there just do a 'net use /delete *' then you won't get annoying errors from it when you try to join the domain

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Also found a usefull KB article at TechNet , whereby 2k allows no more than 10 NT workstations to join a domain.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jiff Lemon
    Make sure you've not got a drive mapped to Domain resource or have a domain resource open before trying to join the domain.
    Well they have joined the domain but in server manager they are greyed out ? ? However when I did add them to the network, they did have a drive already mapped. So should I un-map the drive and then rejoin the domain???

Thanks
    Can you see the services if you highlight the pc and then go to the services at the top. Do you see the services that pc is running?
    Also on the nt machine can you see the pc in Net Neighborhood and can you click thru it and see the c: or d: drives if you have shared them.

Doesnt matter if you have a mapped drive when coming onto a domain but as NT use wins and 2k uses DNS a NT domain with 2k clients does show em as greyed out sometimes,.

As long as its seeing the domain and can log on ok that should be fine...

Thanks
    Originally posted by perryh73
    Can you see the services if you highlight the pc and then go to the services at the top. Do you see the services that pc is running?
    Also on the nt machine can you see the pc in Net Neighborhood and can you click thru it and see the c: or d: drives if you have shared them.

Doesnt matter if you have a mapped drive when coming onto a domain but as NT use wins and 2k uses DNS a NT domain with 2k clients does show em as greyed out sometimes,.

As long as its seeing the domain and can log on ok that should be fine...
    Right I see. The clients can't see the NT server in network neighbourhood, they can ping it. The only way is to \\<servername> in the address bar then I can see the server. They are still greyed out though.. . I will have to try the services thing.

Don't get me wrong everything works fine mapped drives printing etc, I just want to know why the new machines are greyed out.

Also, when you right click on the domain controller you get an option to re-sync (something like that) the domain can you explain what this is??

Thanks

rough_neck

Thread Information