Thread: Download Box

Registered+
    Thanks

Download Box

Hello all,
    I've got a SV25 shuttle that I want to set up as a download box. My main rig and shuttle both have Lan connections so connecting them together is no problem. The thing I'm doubtful about is how I set up the computers so that I only need 1 monitor etc.

I assume I load the software onto the shuttle. As you can see past the original principle I'm a bit dogy after that. Lots of advice needed. PLEASE!

Pete

Thanks
    Well you'll want to set it up as the system that does all the ICS, you can use remote desktop to get onto it from your main machine as well. It's more of a case of configuring.

Not hard, windows xp has all the software needed incorporated into the OS

Registered+
    Thanks
    hi

why dont you just buy a kvm switch. link

Thanks
    I like using my gateway PC as a download box. I'll either than transfer files to the client or just run them direct over the lan.

If you are using XP pro on the client PC (I think thats the right way round), then you can using XP's remote desktop to manage the gateway as a headless download/server box. No need to buy and fiddle round with a KVM switch + extra cables.

I found that I was a bit crap at first with this system - It was taking me ages to set up with alot of sitching usb mouse and monitor cables from one to the other. This is because as soon as you make the wrong move with the firewall/networking on the gateway box, you'll have to plug the mouse/monitor/keyboard back in to sort it out. Having a usb keyboard here would help - you cant hotswap ps2 connections like you can with the monitor.

As you get a better idea of networking in general and why every bit does what it does you will find that you could problably do a reinstall of both machines, set every up and it work perfectly fist time off the bat

Thanks
    Oh, you'll need quiet PC's for this. Not alot of point to doing it this way unless you are planning to leave the gateway machine on 24/7. I went back to using 3 machines to 2 because of this.

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    just get a kvm. download box will run fine on a c3- thus nearly silent
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    VNC is a very good free remote desktop util, i personal found MS remote desktop a pig to setup.

www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Registered+
    Thanks
    Sorry about the lack of a reply but I've only just got the notification that anybody had replied.

It appears the KVM switch is the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

Pete

Thanks
    Whichever way you look at it, a KVM switch is going to cost you more than a 2nd hand monitor and will involve alot more cabling behind the desk.

Imho the expense simply isnt worth it as you wont be doing that much work directly on a download box.

As darkmatter says, there are different free VNC software options to chose from - you dont need XPPro for a completely free solution. You would be silly not to try VNC first.

Thanks
    Yep, got for vnc mate, have a 2 port kvm and that plus mouse/kybrd/palm cradle/dsl/table light/webcam/printer cable/scanner makes for a shed load of cables...

Thread Information