Thread: Internet (Wifi) keeps dropping on my PS4 and PC

Thanks

Internet (Wifi) keeps dropping on my PS4 and PC

I have Windows 10 and my Wifi keeps cutting out on my PC and my PS4 (which are practically side by side).

"The network gateway is accessible, but Windows couldn’t receive network traffic from the Internet."

The PC has an ethernet cable plugged into a Netgear WN3000RP WiFi Range Extender and the signal strength seems to be pretty strong. 3 bars on my ipad, 90% on my PS4. Not fool proof or high tech I know, but it seems to be amplifying the broadband correctly.........?

And "the access point between your modem...is broken" keep getting flagged up. This is extremely irritating where the connection keeps breaking after 2 mins of usage or thereabouts. It seems that resetting my Wifi Range Extender seems to help, dunno why but it is becoming extremely tedious.

I am not at all sure what hardware peripheral info you guys might need...and rather than provide a wall of text, thought it would be better to wait to see what was needed

Splash

Re: Internet (Wifi) keeps dropping on my PS4 and PC

Can you give us some indication as to how you connect to the internet - you mention a wifi extender - where does that connect on to? How far away is the router? What are your walls/floors like? What's the signal strength if you connect to the router? If you connect direct to the route do you see the same dropouts?

(wall o'text, I know )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Can you give us some indication as to how you connect to the internet - you mention a wifi extender - where does that connect on to? How far away is the router? What are your walls/floors like? What's the signal strength if you connect to the router? If you connect direct to the route do you see the same dropouts?

(wall o'text, I know )
    Ok.

I am in a house, up one flight of stairs with the router directly below me. I use the wifi extender to boost the signal of the router, but primarily the Extender is used to provide me a Ethernet connection for my PC. The signal is actually pretty strong when I do NOT use the extender with it at full and if I connect to the router no, I do NOT see the same dropouts.

There is one thing I find a tad peculiar:

The Router has two networks/channels? One 2.4 Ghz the other 5.2 Ghz. However, my PS4 seems to be able to only recognise one channel/network (not sure what is the correct term, sorry), and that is the 2.4 Ghz one.

So, we have TNCAP4BB7D3 (2.4 Ghz)

and TNCAP4BB7D3-5G (5.2 Ghz)

My ipad recognises the two networks that are created from the router, but my PS4 doesn't? But they both utilise a wireless connection and located right next to one another? Not sure if this is at all relevant.Figured I'd mention it anyway.

Thanks

(wall o'text, I know )

(wall o'text, I know )
    I am upstairs in an apartment. The router is downstairs, directly beneath me. I use the Wifi extender to extend/amplify the signal from the router, allowing for Wifi access for my PS4, and an Ethernet connection for my PC (I have an ethernet cable inserted into the extender and into the PC).

The router has two networks it seems...

Thanks

(wall o'text, I know )
    Ok, so I can can say with a strong degree of confidence the issue is definitely the Wifi Extender and not the router.

The wireless signal stands at about 91% from the router. The Wifi Extender is right beside my PC and PS4, and only goes throgh one floor and no walls.

When I disabled the Wifi Extender, and left my PS4 to be connected to the router directly throughout the night, there was no interruption or dropping of signal at all. This was evidenced by virtue of the fact that I was downloading games and they have downloaded successfully with no interruption of service/signal for over ten hours.

Rest assured, I definitely have not had a quality of service THAT good with the Wifi Extender.

"My" router and the wifi extender are both on the same channel, there is nothing else on the channel according to Wifi Analytics.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

you can get dodgy sender units.

MY last two routers ( I know.. your problem is the extender) both got random transmission failures and finally stopped transmitting totally.

Can you swap the Wifi extender for another?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Splash

If your PS4 can connect to the router directly is it worth looking at some powerline networking (or a wireless card in your PC) instead?

Thanks

hey, i am also experiencing same issue.. thanks everyone for the replies.. it was a bit helpful.
    best regards!!

Thread Information