Thread: Network cabinet switched PDU

Thanks

Network cabinet switched PDU

Hi All.

As part of an upgrade project, I've been looking at ways to clean up my data cabinet. I've been looking at 8-way individually switched PDU that have switches for each appliance on the front and a C13 IEC for each on the back.

Sorry, but I can't post a link yet to show you what I'm looking at.

These allow equipment to be switched off individually. The problem that I see is that by using IEC leads, you've removing the rated fuses from each piece of equipment, relying instead on one fuse rated at 10 or 13 amps. Does anyone see this as being a problem?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Network cabinet switched PDU

Quote Originally Posted by loztech View Post
    Hi All.

As part of an upgrade project, I've been looking at ways to clean up my data cabinet. I've been looking at 8-way individually switched PDU that have switches for each appliance on the front and a C13 IEC for each on the back.

Sorry, but I can't post a link yet to show you what I'm looking at.

These allow equipment to be switched off individually. The problem that I see is that by using IEC leads, you've removing the rated fuses from each piece of equipment, relying instead on one fuse rated at 10 or 13 amps. Does anyone see this as being a problem?

Thanks.
    A lot of PDUs have the fuse as part of the panel. Right next to the IEC slot. Here is an example: https://www.dcdi.co.uk/shop/individu...izontal-1u-pdu
    There are a few variants of this - lit ones, slot ones, etc... Google "Individually Fused IEC C1" and you'll find plenty of examples.

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to fuses: https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ugs-and-fuses/

The fuse in a plug is a safety device designed to protect the lead rather than the appliance.
    Weigh this up with how often a cable will be removed etc. The PDU will still be subject to its own fuse, so don't overthink it too much
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Re: Network cabinet switched PDU

Hi Agent.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that makes sense. My misunderstanding of what the fuse is for.

Thanks again.

Thread Information