Thread: Seen them installing overhead fibre on the pole today

Registered+
    Thanks

Seen them installing overhead fibre on the pole today

Spoke to the guy doing it as I was wondering why he was in the garden with a reel of fibre optic. Finally after years of rather poor internet I will hopefully be able to get a nice connection.

How about everyone else? What are you working with and is full fibre something you're eager for or already have?

Current speed on FTTC. Hopefully won't take too long for the FTTP to come available to order.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Re: Seen them installing overhead fibre on the pole today

No poles around here, underground on a newish (20 year old) estate. The cabinet is less than 100 yards as the crow flies so we're maxed out at 80/20. Fine for 2 people working from home, on calls, streaming, etc. Maybe things will change when little Jimbo gets older!

Slinging it on the poles seems like a sensible option though. I seem to have a black cat5 like cable coming in to my master socket with two of the 8 wires terminating like the normal pair. 'Future proofing' maybe? Shame the rest of the house just seems to have cat3 cables to the extensions (when wired took 10 meg of the speed!).

OwP
    Registered+
    Thanks

I have full fibre from Gigaclear, when they installed it had to be new and underground. Then along comes Trooli, this lot are able to access Openreach's ductwork and poles, obviously much quicker installs and hopefully cheaper to do.
    I am currently on 300 up/down with Gigaclear for £39, Trooli are offering 300 down 100 up for £35, might hang on and see if they do any offers soon. My wife works at home so good internet has been essential. Location wise small rural village surrounded with smaller villages, they have used my village as the hub and connected all the smaller ones to fibre as well.

Registered+
    Thanks

Much better upload speeds than what you get through openreachs FTTP. Impressive! I'd stay with Gigaclear if I were you, that upload speed is impressive.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Stuck on FTTC at 35Mbps. No sign of anything else in next few years. I keep checking one.network/thinkbroadband/ispreview in the vague hope someone will come our way but with a town of 10000 we're just not profitable enough. Also its mostly 50 year old ducting (1970s) around here (rather than poles) which is usually pretty collapsed by now which may explain why Openreach haven't put us into any fibre first rollouts as it'll be a big digging job.

Pleased for you though - 14Mbps would be unusable with two of us WFH with 2 kids. Just be aware it might take 6 months before you can order - maybe more given what I've read on the sites forums I mentioned.
    Trust

Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro C9Z390-PGW
      • CPU:
      • Intel 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb G.skill DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SATA, Toshiba 3TB SATA HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2080
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Jonsbo UMX4 Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • 72mb/s fibre

I have Openreach FTTP through BT. I'm on the top 900Mb/s service, but my Speedtest.net result is:

I had all sorts of problems with the installation. Basically, Openreach couldn't work out how to connect my house to the network, even though the pole is just outside my house. They made up some rubbish about needing to dig up the road & get traffic control permission etc etc, all of which was completely unnecessary...it took a couple of engineers a couple of hours to connect me up in the end, but I had to wait 8 months for that to happen! The silver lining though, is that BT agreed to give me £1,400 compensation for all the hassle I went through, which will pretty much pay for my Internet connection for the duration of the contract

One thing you should be aware of when going for Openreach FTTP is that they will switch you over to 'Digital Voice' VOIP, which will ultimately be the standard for all landline connections by 2025. It has the advantage of high audio quality voice calls for compatible phones, but compatibility is the issue. The BT Home Hub router has a single phone socket on the back of it for existing PSTN phones, but if you have other PSTN phones connected via extensions in your home, they won't work. BT will give you a cordless DECT phone which is compatible with Digital Voice, but I had a particular problem with DV compatibility. I'm physically disabled & use an 'environmental control system' to operate an adapted phone when I'm in bed. Of course it wasn't until I'd been switched over to DV that I realised the adapted phone wasn't compatible, so I've had to go back to BT to get them to switch my landline back to copper PSTN, but in the process, I lost my landline phone number as apparently once it's been transitioned to DV, it can't be reverted back. So...a bit of a learning experience really. But I do have effectively 'free' Internet access

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro C9Z390-PGW
      • CPU:
      • Intel 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb G.skill DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SATA, Toshiba 3TB SATA HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 2080
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Jonsbo UMX4 Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • 72mb/s fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Xuse View Post
    Much better upload speeds than what you get through openreachs FTTP. Impressive! I'd stay with Gigaclear if I were you, that upload speed is impressive.
    Yep, if you need fast uploads that's a great service - almost three times what I'm getting on the top tier BT FTTP offering...

Thread Information