Thread: Considering buying 2.5 Gbps USB dongles for home PCs - would 1 Gbps router need chang

Registered+
    Thanks
    • King Mustard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock B650M Pro RS
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32 GB DDR5-6000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/o ODD)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Internet:
      • 34 Mbps down / 6 Mbps up

Question Considering buying 2.5 Gbps USB dongles for home PCs - would 1 Gbps router need chang

I want to improve transfer speeds between my two PCs. 100 MB/s isn't really enough.

Our ISP is BT Broadband and we use their BT Smart Hub (sometimes called the Home Hub 6), which was released in 2016.

I am considering buying 2x Plugable 2.5G USB-C and USB to Ethernet Adapter (totals £64) for the two PCs in the house, which are both currently connected via CAT5e cable to the above wireless router.

Presumably, the router will limit the speed to 1 Gbps.

What options do I have?

Is a wireless router replacement the only possibility to get this working?

I ideally don't want to spend over £100 total, as the upgrade from 1 Gbps to 2.5 Gbps would then not be worth it for me.

I also can not run any more cabling.
    Last edited by King Mustard; 19-11-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks

Re: Considering buying 2.5 Gbps USB dongles for home PCs - would 1 Gbps router need c

Get a switch that'll support 2.5Gbe, use that to connect the two PC's together, then you will have 2.5Gbe network, with your BT router and any other devices plugged into that switch, if they support 2.5Gbe then they'll get it rather than limiting what the internal network to the speed the router will do..

However, why do you think you need 2.5Gbe?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • King Mustard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock B650M Pro RS
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32 GB DDR5-6000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/o ODD)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Internet:
      • 34 Mbps down / 6 Mbps up

Re: Considering buying 2.5 Gbps USB dongles for home PCs - would 1 Gbps router need c

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Get a switch that'll support 2.5Gbe, use that to connect the two PC's together, then you will have 2.5Gbe network, with your BT router and any other devices plugged into that switch, if they support 2.5Gbe then they'll get it rather than limiting what the internal network to the speed the router will do..

However, why do you think you need 2.5Gbe?
    To improve transfer speeds between my two PCs. 100 MB/s isn't really enough.

Thank you for your reply

Spreadie

Why USB? Isn't it just easier to buy a couple of 2.5gb NICs and do a direct ethernet link between the PCs? You can still have a 1gbit connection to your router for internet etc..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King Mustard View Post
    To improve transfer speeds between my two PCs. 100 MB/s isn't really enough.

Thank you for your reply
    100Mb, lol yeah faster LAN speeds needed there..
    1Gbe will probably do you, will BT give you a new hub that's got Gb on it?
    Failing that a GB switch will be cheaper than a 2.5Gbe one.

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    100Mb, lol yeah faster LAN speeds needed there..
    1Gbe will probably do you, will BT give you a new hub that's got Gb on it?
    Failing that a GB switch will be cheaper than a 2.5Gbe one.
    Around 100MB/s is 1GbE.

Note MB, not Mb.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King Mustard View Post
    I want to improve transfer speeds between my two PCs. 100 MB/s isn't really enough.

Our ISP is BT Broadband and we use their BT Smart Hub (sometimes called the Home Hub 6), which was released in 2016.

I am considering buying 2x Plugable 2.5G USB-C and USB to Ethernet Adapter (totals £64) for the two PCs in the house, which are both currently connected via CAT5e cable to the above wireless router.

Presumably, the router will limit the speed to 1 Gbps.

What options do I have?

Is a wireless router replacement the only possibility to get this working?

I ideally don't want to spend over £100 total, as the upgrade from 1 Gbps to 2.5 Gbps would then not be worth it for me.

I also can not run any more cabling.
    I am not a networking expert. Not anywhere close. But .... as I understand it, you have two choices.

1) Connect both PCs, via those pluggable devices, to a 2.5Gb switch. That switch will currently cost you (from the ones I've seen) £100-£130-ish. Or

2) Direct-connect thentwo PCs together, via a DAC (Direct Access Cable). That is a point-to-point connection, but the cable is not a standard ethernet cable (wires to internal connectors ar switched to different pins). But you said you can't run more cable.

Also, using 2) you will still need another ethernet connection to the BT switch, or the PCs will talk to each other, but neither will talk to anything else, including the internet. That other connection could of course be wifi.

How far apart are the two PCs? That DAC is going to be a pain if they are, for example, on differen floors of the house, or opposo=te sides of a wall you cannot drill through.

I can't think of a way that will give you 2.5Gb without either a switch, or a DAC. I suppos you could rewire the existing cable if you get a crimper and feel comfortable doing it. But all those Plugable devices do is support 2.5Gb provided the rest of your network supports it. Forgive me if I misread you but it sounds like you're asking if those USB devices will give you 2.5Gb when connected to the existing 1Gb switch/router? If that is what you mean, that'll be a resounding no.

Also .... be a bit careful in your thinking. The 2.5Gb effectively gives you the bandwidth the devices will support. They don't guarantee you'll hit it. For instance, if you are pulling data of HDs, very few are fast enough to fill that bandwidth. If you can only supply data at most HD speeds, you won't fill a 2.5Gb connection anyway. Very fast (enterprise grade) HDs might,like WD Ultrastar drives, but otherwise, you need to be providing adequate data rates, probably from SSDs.

Where I use 2.5Gb is connecting to my NAS, which does have those very fast WD Ultrastar drives (4x 12TB in RAID 5). That can saturate the 2.5Gb link .... but most of the time, I still don't.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I am not a networking expert. Not anywhere close. But .... as I understand it, you have two choices.

1) Connect both PCs, via those pluggable devices, to a 2.5Gb switch. That switch will currently cost you (from the ones I've seen) £100-£130-ish. Or

2) Direct-connect thentwo PCs together, via a DAC (Direct Access Cable). That is a point-to-point connection, but the cable is not a standard ethernet cable (wires to internal connectors ar switched to different pins). But you said you can't run more cable.

Also, using 2) you will still need another ethernet connection to the BT switch, or the PCs will talk to each other, but neither will talk to anything else, including the internet. That other connection could of course be wifi.

How far apart are the two PCs? That DAC is going to be a pain if they are, for example, on differen floors of the house, or opposo=te sides of a wall you cannot drill through.

I can't think of a way that will give you 2.5Gb without either a switch, or a DAC. I suppos you could rewire the existing cable if you get a crimper and feel comfortable doing it. But all those Plugable devices do is support 2.5Gb provided the rest of your network supports it. Forgive me if I misread you but it sounds like you're asking if those USB devices will give you 2.5Gb when connected to the existing 1Gb switch/router? If that is what you mean, that'll be a resounding no.
    Crossover cables aren't really a thing any more - modern network ports can handle a direct link without them. So you don't need SFP NICs with Direct Attached Copper (DAC) cables.

Thanks

-

Only one access list per protocol, per direction, per interface can be applied on a Cisco router. Multiple access lists are permitted per interface, but they must be for a different protocol.

Thread Information