• Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Starlink - experience?

Have recently bought a new house and moving out to the sticks and just looking to see what people’s thoughts are using starlink? Heard from some that they’ve had issues with Sky?

I primarily need it for work (reliability) and just casual gaming. I’m going to assume that it’s fine but is there anything I’d need to be mindful of with either Gen 2 or Gen 3 routers? Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Re: Starlink - experience?

I've used it a little bit at work, one of the tech guys had one for the get in before the proper internet guys turn up, and used it at Lemons to get some remote intercom access for an off-site guy.

Seems to be ok, not sure I'd fancy it for gaming, as latency would be crap I suspect due to the up to the satellite and back down again part.

Thanks

Re: Starlink - experience?

Experience = zero.

But ... I do seem to remember that, if you place any value on privacy, it's got some strong points.

I wasn't paying close attention when it was explained to me, but it was something to do with the lack of the traditional baseband modem you get with a mobile phone. Also, something to do with IMEI and with Google/Meta/Apple etc basing so much of their tracking capabilities on it being very hard these days (short of deliberate measures, like de-Googled phones) to dodge the link direct to your identity from your phone. Starlink, IIRC, breaks that link so has a marked benefit there. It's probably not a thing many people would use Starlink to get, but if you're looking at Starlink for other reasons, it might be a nice little bonus.

Beyond that, I know zip. Or less.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thread Information