Thread: Drag and drop between 2 home comps HELP!!!

Thanks

Drag and drop between 2 home comps HELP!!!

I have been searching and searching about how to set up a drag and drop network between two home computers but are coming up with the big 0, anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.
    I have my gamein rig and another workhorse rig networked through a netgear adsl router come hub (dg834gt) fantastic bit of kit, but still can't fathom out the drag and drop bit.
    If anyone can help then cheers in advance
    99.9% of all computer problems are caused by the software between the keyboard and the chair. (A8N-Sli deluxe owners excluded)

Thanks
    What OS are they?

In this situation, and im guessing it's windows, you can simply map a metwork drive using each local admin account (making sure you click "reconnect at startup").

However we need to know if the 2 machines can see each other....are you getting your ip addreses from DHCP or are they fixed (they will need to be fixed)? Can they "Ping" eachother? Have you added entries into the HOSTS file?

With a bit more info you wil be up and running in no time (famous last words)

Thanks
    cheers herb for answering so quickly, yes its xp that has auto configd the addresses but i am afraid i must confess im lost with the rest that youve mentioned

When i set the network up, as with all xp im sure, all you can see are the share files folders and printers in network places and i can swap files from within but that just seems to be a long winded way around especially when i have the two computers monitors sittin next to each other...
    Im sorry to ask but how would i fix each ip address and what would i use to ping em (im sorry about me bein such a layman at this but if you could bear with me... grrr)
    99.9% of all computer problems are caused by the software between the keyboard and the chair. (A8N-Sli deluxe owners excluded)

Thanks
    So, have you shared the rest of your files on the network?

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    Ive only shared the files that are within the shared folders, that were placed there by me, as i thought they were the only ones that could be shared within the network or am i missing something important, what i was really after was a drag and drop situation that would allow me to movin all different files and progs etc freely with in the desktop environment situation.

Thanks
    ...aha...

So you have your connectivity sorted. You can share any folder by right clicking, properties, sharing. Although I would never advise anyone to share a root folder like c:\, you should bear in mind the following.

If traffic from the internet comes through a router that performs NAT (which it invariably does), that machine cannot be accessed from the outside *unless* the connection is initiated from the inside (a trojan could do this for example). Also IP addresses begining 192.168, 10.0., 172.0 and 127.0 are private, i.e not "outsider" can connect to them (same as NAT though, trojan will be able to)

HTH

Simon

Thanks
    ok i didnt know that but thanx for all ya help, one thing still puzzles me though, the reason i mention the drag and drop bit was that a friend a while ago had two computers and when he moved files from one comp to another you could see the mouse movin off one desktop over to the other when he d and d.
    I have since lost touch with the friend so i cant find out how it was done but hey ho
    cheers simon

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    You sure he didnt just have 2 monitors? Its possible he was using something like VNC, which allows you to control one machine from the other. ITs simple enough to set up, just install the server on one, client on the other and youre set.
    linkage

Thanks
    Hmmm, interesting, perhaps you may be right for all this time ive been looking for something that involves a proper network connection and this does now ring a bell, thankyou for all your help guys
    I'm dl the freeby version to see if it is what I need
    Cheers again all.

Thread Information