Thread: Is the Vigor2600+ the best solution for me ?

Thanks

Is the Vigor2600+ the best solution for me ?

So im looking for a router that’s primary use will be in a student house. Features must include:

Traffic prioritising – gaming must come first, then browsing, downloads, ect.
    To be able to distinguish between browsing http traffic and downloads (based on extension?) and apply traffic prioritising to this.

Work with multiple IP addresses from ISP.

Blocking of sites based on keyword and url / ip.

Logging features of what sites people have visited if possible.

Ability to split the connection “fairly” between connected users. Ie. If we have a 2 meg connection with 2 people on the network, they both have exactly 1 meg each if they are both downloading from a source that will max the connection out.
    If one person is downloading, then they get all the unused bandwidth on the connection (obviously with traffic prioritising working throughout, so even if one person is using 1.8meg of the connection downloading a person gaming should experience no lag, preferably). As soon as another person requires the connections bandwidth then it will equal itself out back to a meg each.
    All the above must stand true if there is 3/4/5 ect… people on the network.

VPN support.

Anyone know if the Vigor2600+ meets all the above, or can anyone suggest any alternatives? (that don’t require a degree in linux – my experience is limited and Jo lives too far away for me to bribe him)

Cheers !
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Mate, lol, that is exactly what im after too lol, for the same reasons. I was looking at that router earlier this year, because it has port throttling. But before i buy i need to make sure myself that each persons connections doesnt interfear with the other persons. For eg: If ur flat mate is downloading something at 1mb, u wont get any lag, because i personally get situations where i get ping jumps and laggyness even if they are downlaoding at 2kb. Any slight download effects pings.
    Rig: Amd 64 3700+ San Diego | Abit AT8 | 4x512 Corsair XMS3200C2PRO | PowerColour X850XTPE / Arctic Cooled | Samsung Spinpoint 250Gig | Enermax NoiseTake 485w | Arctic Freezer 64 Pro | Coolermaster Wavemaster Silver | Dell 2405FPW | Logitech G5 / Everglide Destrukt Monstermat |

?!
    Thanks
    Linksys wrt54g does this with custom firmwares at the fraction of the cost. Partially linux based but its all nicely GUI'd should you not want to ssh in.

Thanks
    ok so this lynxsys, will allocate seperate bandwidth to each pc. So it acts exactly the same as having 2 isp? They will not effect each other in the slightest?
    Rig: Amd 64 3700+ San Diego | Abit AT8 | 4x512 Corsair XMS3200C2PRO | PowerColour X850XTPE / Arctic Cooled | Samsung Spinpoint 250Gig | Enermax NoiseTake 485w | Arctic Freezer 64 Pro | Coolermaster Wavemaster Silver | Dell 2405FPW | Logitech G5 / Everglide Destrukt Monstermat |

?!
    Thanks
    The Freeman firmware can QoS so that gaming gets total priority. It could do what Merlin is suggesting but you'd have to cap the capacity to 90% of avail or lower. Question is , which firmware can do it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrt54g list here.

Thanks
    Just picked up a DrayTek Vigor2600VG for under a 100 quid.
    At that price i couldnt stop myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    tell me if it works agent, is that the one with port throttling on?

Thread Information