Thread: BT and connection sharing

DsW
    Thanks

BT and connection sharing

I'm going to setup a wireless network for a friend, however he currently has BT Broadband Basic and on the BT website it seems to suggest that you can only use the connection with one computer. Eh?!

He currently has a USB modem, and I was going to replace this with a wireless modem/router/firewall unit so him and his wife could access the internet from a laptop and a desktop at the same time.

I thought this would work fine, however the BT website has made me think twice about this. Are they just talking about the prevention of Windows connection sharing or could they doing something else that would only allow one (nominated) PC to access the connection (even if both PCs were behing a router)?

I can't really see how BT could prevent two computers accessing the internet via a router - but I don't want to go ahead and get the router only for it not to work.

Any help much appreciated!

Tak
    Thanks
    It will work fine with a router, just like any other ADSL connection. I think BT say that it can only be used on one machine because that's all that can be done with the kit they provide for this tariff. Go for it

Thanks
    I'm using BT internet on 2 systems...

Slightly Trigger Happy
    Thanks
    should be fine. i'm not on the basic but have been with BT for years.
    your computer is similar to a fridge in that if it cannot keep a beer cold then it sucks

Ant
    Thanks
    Shouldn't be a problem at all.... I used to be with BT a few years ago, and never had a problem using ICS, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work with a router.

Ant

Thread Information