Thread: home networking....

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

home networking....

heya, I want to network my home with several computers wirelessly and have broadband to which they can all access
    there are potentially 6 computers available though only 5 will be on at any one time (as there are only 5 in the house!):
    4 desktops (one is an old one just re-fitted)
    1 laptop
    1 ibook (mac)

all pc's run Xp, the ibook runs OS X and has all the wireless gubbins inside it apparently.
    its not a very big house so it would be nice to go wireless, how is it for reliability? any one make better than others? anything I should be aware of before I go a head with it all??
    (I can get bb in my area - london )
    so, any suggestions gratefully recieved
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Get some cable conduit. Get out the power drill, hammer and tacks and sort out some proper cat 5 wiring around the house. If its within my pathetic DIY skills reach, then anyone can do it

= lots cheaper.
    = lots faster.
    = going to last alot longer (cat 5e cable more or less ok for gigabit in future).

Edit: Ah dam, I didnt notice that you had a 2nd mac laptop. I was going so suggest you do this to save yourself having to buy a wireless base station... but I dont know if macs can handle it or not?

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd recommend both - it's what I have! Hardwired for all the PC's and wireless for the Laptop. You'll have to spend some time locking down your wireless access as you don't want to be sharing your bandwidth with half of london.

If your going NTL/Bluyonder BB, then I'd recommend one of these . Damn fine and very secure.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah, that was a worry I had, if we go wireless how many of our neighbours will be joining in?!!
    I did a brief wireless 'play' the other day and managed to connect to someone in the area, must have been reasonably close as the connection speed was as high as you can get (or doesn't this change very much regardless of distance?) - anyway, yeah I was wondering how to stop our wireless network beocme 'free access' to the rest of the city... short of building it underground !