Thread: Linksys gateway wireless g router driving me insane

Thanks

Question Linksys gateway wireless g router driving me insane

hi again all, ive another query for you all. i have my pc downstairs in my bedroom. the router is in my room with me. i am connected to the router via cable, and my brother has his pc upstairs, port 2 of the router is occupied by his cable, running right along the floor, up the stairs into his bedroom, sorted.

Heres the problem....in his room upstairs, he has a gaming pc, now, he has a wirelss g network card in that, but the wireless router isnt detected by it.....if i stay in my room and touch the ariel on the router, his pc finds it straight away...soon as i let go, boom, its gone as fast as it appeared.

His room is only 10ft away, if that from the router, the bummer is i have iorn all away up the stairs, this is my problem i think, it could be making the signal deminish, could this be the case...if so, would a access point or soametihng on my actual stairs half way boost the signal enough for his other pc t pick it up....i really dont want to put the router in his bedroom, as all the cable in neatly connected to the walls, and id have to pull it all off to give myslef more cable...so a booster or something halfway, if it would work, would be the thing to do....or am i talking complete and utter turd!

phew...sorry for the long post, but i thought id best give the full picture, thanks ever so much to anyone who takes time to read this.

bellyboy.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    are the ariels fixed properly to the access point? They should be screwed in tightly.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    yes, they are both in tight, its as if, i boost the signal if i touch it...im sure i read that iorn weaken's the signal between wireless networks, there is no concrete between the room, so that is ruled out, it just appears ot be a really weak signal, i am picking up multiple netowrks from around my house, there are about 5 operating, cant see mine, unless i touch the router ariel...then it picks it up straight away, but it is fixed as tight as it can go. its very odd.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    all wireless gear should be able to go through that, you shouldn't be making a big enough ariel to make that much difference, remeber g is 2.4ghz!

time to RMA.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    i just swapped it all around.....cheapest solution. everything is working fine now. thanks for your help.

Thread Information