Thread: Wireless LAN problem

Thanks

Wireless LAN problem

Hi, I've just finished setting up my wireless home network using an ADSL wireless modem router that connects to my desktop via ethernet and to my laptop via wireless, right. The internet is working fine (as you can tell!) but the LAN isn't, on my desktop I can view the shared folders on my laptop but not the other way around. The laptop can access the internet but everytime I try to access the desktop shared flies it says I dont have permission... please help me to sort this as 1-way isnt good enough!

I am running XP pro on the desktop and XP home on the laptop, is this why?

Thanks
    Are both drive on NTFS? I vaguely remember older Windows having trouble to view XP shared folders without a hack due to the later being NTFS. I am not sure if it would apply to two XP systems though even if it was the case.

Actually does this only happen with wireless? If so, then this theory goes out of the window.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Most likely "simple file sharing", check out this KB for instructions on disabling it.
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Registered+
    Thanks
    Is there any firewall software running on the desktop, that could be preventing connections?

Thanks
    You don't have a Wireless LAN problem, it's a networking issue.

Make sure you both can access a common workgroup (like mshome or workgroup). Then make sure the resources are shared on the machine being accessed. Make sure you give the user of the machine that's using the shared resources access/rights to them. That should do it.

Thanks
    How do I give permission? On my laptop when I'm in the Workgroup, both the Laptop and the desktop icons are present, clicking the laptop icon takes me to the laptop shared folder, but when I click the desktop icon an error messege appears saying I dont have permission to access etc. On the desktop in the workgroup both laptop and desktop workgroups icons are present and both take me to their respective shared folders.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lightestspiral
    How do I give permission? On my laptop when I'm in the Workgroup, both the Laptop and the desktop icons are present, clicking the laptop icon takes me to the laptop shared folder, but when I click the desktop icon an error messege appears saying I dont have permission to access etc. On the desktop in the workgroup both laptop and desktop workgroups icons are present and both take me to their respective shared folders.
    WinXP Pro defaults to the workgroup name WORKGROUP, while WinXP Home defaults to MSHOME.

As long as you have not specified any extra security, both computers have the same workgroup name specified and the resources are shared, you shouldn't have a problem using them.

To change the workgroup name right-click on the My Computer icon and select properties. Click on the Computer Name tab, click the Change button and type the new workgroup name in the appropriate box. Save and reboot the computer. Then, after making sure the resources are shared, try to connect again. Should be no problem.
    Last edited by StormPC; 30-09-2005 at 12:58 AM.

Thread Information