Thread: Looking for a wireless cable router with external HDD support

Thanks

Looking for a wireless cable router with external HDD support

My much-loved Linksys 11g wireless router has decided bite the dust and I've been left router-less at home.

I'm looking for a replacement ASAP, but I also like the idea of getting a router that I can plug a USB external HDD into - such as the Netgear WGT634U. However, I can only find the Netgear router in stock at Amazon and delivery is qouted at 1-2 weeks. I can't live without an internet connection for that long!

Does anyone know of where I might be able to get one with fast delivery or of any similar product (maybe it's been replaced with a newer model?). I need one that I can plug my NTL cable modem into via ethernet.

Thanks Hexus!

Thanks
    Have you looked at the Asus Wl-500g Deluxe (with two usb 2.0 ports)

I am selling one at the moment for £55 plus postage (i bought it last week to connect my Topfield pvr to my PC but i can't get it all to work with my existing network.....)

It seems to be an excellent router with lots of features - (i think even runs a modified version of linux which you can modify, seems to be alot of people on the web who have got it to do amazing things!)

Make sure you get the Deluxe version as this is the USB2.0 version, there are lots of non-deluxe versions around.

Let me know if you're interested in buying mine, i could post it to you today by any delivery method you like!

If not good luck in finding a good one!
    Last edited by colincliff; 03-03-2006 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    PM sent.

Thanks
    thanks, replied!

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    why not just get some NAS and a standard router?
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    I have question, but don't think it warrents it's own thread, so I'll hijack yours (hope you don't mind ).

I have a standard HDD and a standard router. Can I get a converter that will have a HDD connection at one end and an ethernet connection at the other to basically turn the normal HDD into a NAS HDD?

I hope you undertood that, but it's one of those things that your can't really google for since you don't know the name of the thing you're trying to find.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sort of... what you will probably need is USB caddy that converts the HDD to a USB device, then something like the linksys NSLU2 that has a USB port for the HDD, and an ethernt interface to plug into the Network. There maybe devices out there that have a HDD IDE interface directly, but I can't think of any off hand.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb
    There maybe devices out there that have a HDD IDE interface directly, but I can't think of any off hand.
    For IDE hard-drives that would be the Netgear SC101 (@£70)..... well sort of. It's not exactly NAS, it's more like a SAN. It will house 2 IDE drives (either as Raid0 or Raid1). Although the reviews are good, some people are finding it a very frustating product. Alternatively Synology have a range of products including a NAS that will house a single HDD (they have different ones for IDE or SATA) and are available from Scan. Again from Scan, Thecus do a range of NAS devices that will house 2 drives, they may appear similar to the Netgear, but the Thecus devices are true NAS devices. Buffalo tech. do linkstations which have pre-installed hard-drives, but they also have the option of adding a USB2 hard-drive to increase capacity.

Thread Information