Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which provider?

Thanks

Which provider?

I've just moved into a new flat, it's got phone sockets in....but i don't think it has a bt line active yet. I wanted to get Broadband to the flat..preferably 8Mb/s. I've done a check on the area and was told the place could receive 6Mb/s, so that's fine.
    I've been looking at some providers and they want to charge me an arm and a leg for this speed, or just cap my usage at 20Gigs..and what use is that when it'll be so fast.
    So my question is do i have to pay BT for the phone line and what's a good provider for this speed, i don't really want to spend more than 25 a month.
    Thanks for any help
    Ali.

Splash
    Your best bet will be to check out ADSLGuide - just about all providers are now either capping your data transfer, shaping your bandwidth or charging a fortune. You need to decide what your priority is to be!

Thanks
    Unless im mistaken, i believe that NDO are one of the few providers who dont cap your line or use traffic shaping. If anyone know otherwise please post here, as I will probably be order their service in the next few days, as i too have just moved house. They are a bit more than most isps tho....but if what i said above is true you get what you pay for.

Also they are a offering 8mb service

Thanks
    • vaio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ds3 rev1.
      • CPU:
      • Allendale E6300 468 x7
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 512 Guil Ultra PC2 6400 468mhz @ 2.1v
      • Storage:
      • 120 GB Maxtor PATA/Ubuntu-Vista dual boot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon 1600 Pro.
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520.
      • Case:
      • Enermax Chakra.
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT 19" tft. (1280 x 1024)
    I use Freeola.

There is a cap but it is a reasonable one.
    40gb per month peak (8am-10pm) and 300 gb per month off peak.

Also, they offer the service as a 3 month trial,at the reduced price of £15, after which you can go elsewhere if not satisfied.

Also, the service is being upgraded from 2mb to 8mb (local availability permitting)

Normal monthly cost after trial is £25.

Anyway, here is the linky
    Member Of Crunchers Inc multi project Distributed Computing team-New members most welcome *

Thanks
    not meaning to hijack this thread, but what are peoples opinions on zen internet and especially nildram. They seem to be very competitive. Also any views on UKOnline?

Thanks
    NDO/names.co.uk, we use them at home..they do seem very good, a fast service and very rare drop outs, might have to have a look at their packages again.
    As greektony said anyone know if either zen internet or nildram are any good?
    Cheers

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks
    Zen are superb, CS is fantastic and they are the top quality ISP out there. But that does come with a price.

Im with Be* at the moment and that seems brilliant to me (touch wood), Ive not had a dropout yet and get a steady 140kb/s upload and 1.8mb/s download.... Unfortunately you have to live in one of their enabled areas to get it. If you are in their area then feel free to message me any questions, and get in touch for a code to give free activation and a referral for your first month free.

Thanks
    I have been with Nildram for 3ish years now and tbh they have never let me down, customer services is spot on and i have never lost my connection. Nildram FTW!

Edit ---- > also if you play alot of multiplayer over the internet there are a lot of jolt.co.uk servers which are all hosted by Nildram,, so expect really nice low pings

Age before beauty......MOVE!!!!
    Thanks
    Just migrated from f2s to Zen. Nildram was a close 2nd and for your £25 limit they must be the best. From my research all appear to have some form of cap....except Eclipse who do an uncapped service for the same price as the capped service. All a bit weird and it was very difficult to understand the differences. Reading between the lines it looked like the uncapped service had high contention and therefore pretty useless for gaming.

I have switched ISP a few times now and if I can give one bit of advice it would be to go for an ISP that shows a consistent high score on adslguide.
    The Man with the Silver Spot

Ant
    Thanks
    I've had nothing but great service from Zen for the past few years, as a home user and business user. Never had any dropped connections, and everytime I've contacted them, they have been very helpful and polite on the phone. They also seem to get things done very quick!

I've actually just regraded my home connection from their 1MB uncapped service to their 8MB 20GB cap service for £25 a month which I don't think is that bad tbh - £5 a month cheaper than it used to be too. Couldn't recommend them enough.

Thanks
    Use Bulldog myself, no complaints so far. Service is totally unrestricted, and I believe its now £19.50 a month for the £8mb package (I pay £21.50). Only downsides are that I believe you now have a minimum 6 month contract (I got in when it was 1 month), and you need a bulldog phone line (same price as BT's). Oh and the customer service is supposed to be a bit rubbish, but I haven't had to deal with them yet *touches wood*.

If not them then Be* are the other company i was thinking about, their 24mb service is nicely priced at £24 a month. Again, though, fledgling company gonna have some problems, and apparently their cs is even worse than bulldog's! However I looked into them again recently for a mate and they seem to be picking their act up.

These are bth the cheap options; the expensive one is Zen. Depends if you're willing to pay that much ...

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    I have been with F2S for 2 1/2 years now - started at 512 unlimited and then changed to 2Meg with a 10 Gig Cap after 13 months for no charge and a reduction of £5 per month. I used th thing they were really good support-wise but since being taken over by Pipex this seems to have gone to the dogs. However as my link has been pretty good and reliable so far this has not been an issue - and F2S lost the opportunity (and fees) of providing me SMTP feed email rather than me having to collect from POP3 mail box.

Following this post I found I could now regrade with F2S up to a 4 meg link for another £5 reduction per month... so I have!
    Last edited by EtheAv8r; 28-04-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe
    Im liking the look of this NDO. Unlimited transfers on 8mb for £39.99 a month?

Im sold lol

Anyone know anymore about this or these ppl?

Neon
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Registered+
    Thanks
    I'm with Demon and pretty happy. Their homeoffice package isn't the cheapest at £24.99/month but offers a fixed ip, webspace and no traffic caps or blocked ports. If you don't need more than 2Mbps check it out.

The service is generally pretty reliable, apart from a couple of years ago when their email servers were completely overloaded for a couple of weeks.

As a general point - it's worth registering your own domain name and use that for email. A .co.uk name is only £1.99/year with free forwarding of mail to the address of your choice, it frees you to change ISP without having to tell all your contacts about a new email address.

Age before beauty......MOVE!!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40

Im sold lol

Neon
    I used to be with them on dial-up. They had good service and connection. Consistently high scores on adslguide over the years. One of the top 5 IMHO.
    The Man with the Silver Spot

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40

Im sold lol

Neon
    "Generally, we would view data transfer of 60GB or more per month (as is a common limit with other ISPs) to be excessive and reserve the right to discuss this usage with the user concerned."

Unlimited my ass.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thread Information