• Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q (27" 2560x1440)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb

New ADSL Wifi/Modem/Router Choice

Hello All,

I'm sure that this has been asked before, but as technology keeps updating, then its worth asking anew! Recently, my trusty 3Com OfficeConnect Modem Router decided to just die on me and then the usual thing pops up "What am I going to get instead to replace".

I've read around and as I need decent wireless connectivity for my laptop upstairs, I'm still having trouble deciding. The things that I am trying to avoid (and have tried to find issues with specific models on forums) are wireless drops, poor signal strength and frequent reboots needed.

In all honesty, i cant really afford to spend THAT much so its a kind of best value as possible. Even looking on PC world website (only because they often do great bundles) they have a linksys WAG354G and card, but that seems to have problems that i have stated.

I'm sure that a lot of hardcore comms people are going to recomennd a Draytek - to be honest, I've never heard of them that much, but what i have is very good - it is obvious that the quality comes at a premium. So can i have some decent comments on particular models and why you think that it would be good as a choice to buy???

Thanks in advance

Jonny

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have a Linksys WAG354G which I got from PC world in the aforementioned bundle for a steal (pricing mistake which they honoured). Its fantastic, its been running for months, haven't had to reboot it once. The range is great fills the whole house nicely and I get full power most places, its also tiny compared to a lot of routres out there and the antenna is internal so no untidiness (though there is a socket to attach one if you want the range). Top router, highly recommended!
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    I'm quite partial to the thompson/alcatel speedtouch. Don't know which model I've used though!
    SmoothNuts!~yaman_an@*.dsl.pipex.com > change my rating to exceptional tbh

Thanks
    Dlink for me as almost all of them come with easily replaced antennas for boosted range etc.
    AMD X2 @ 2.6Ghz, X1800XL @ 540/600

Thanks
    • jonathan_phang's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21)
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB SSD + Misc Data Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb
    Well, plumped for the Linksys bundle from PC World and have it up and running at the moment, and also connected wirelessly to my laptop. Downloading Half-Life two from Steam to just give it a run through, but stability-wise, only time will tell. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

One day i WILL be able to afford a Draytek!!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Which Linksys bundle was it? Did it perform well?
    Was it a good buy? Would you recommend it?
    I'm in the same boat, I need a wireless router that would allow me to connect my new computer to the old one and a laptop in future.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    You might be interested in the tests that THG did.

Yes it's P2P tests (cue the usual posts about P2P being naughty - even though a BIG film name is looking to use bit-torrent to distribute DRM crippled files) but more and more people are noticing these issues, hence me highlighting them earlier rather than later

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/0...outer_for_p2p/

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot Lee, this article seems very helpful.

Would a wireless connection to the internet affect online gaming performance? i.e. lag?

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    I use wireless and wired and only see about 4-5 ms difference between pings depending on which system I use.

I prefer the 'wired' as theres less chance of my mate popping something in the microwave and causing slight interference, but I've used wireless for playing WoW, CS, HL2 etc without any adverse effects

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb
    Well, update on this whole saga, as follows. Initially, as per my first post, my 3Com seemed to die on me and I ended up getting the Linksys WAG354G (small square with a mesh-looking top) which came bundled with a PCMCIA card.

I have previously set up Linksys connections for my brother in law (though a DSL WRT wireless router) and was impressed with the config pages and the range of things that you could do. That prompted me to get the aforementioned bundle.

Went home and set it up and it seemed fine on wired, however, wireless was another story. Now, the router is in my study, an extention to the back of my house and i have the room at the top at the front - about as far away as possible. This is quite a way and with much in the way, so i wasnt expecting superb signal strength, but the Linksys gave variable throughput, being 24 at best and cycling down to 2 and everything in between. What I need is consistent throughput upstairs, so i was a little dissapointed.

I then went to get the next version up, the WAG54GS, which has "Speed booster". I just wanted to see if this would make the signal a bit more consistent. The Setup pages for the router are a little bit more polished and again, the wored connection was great, but the wireless was again the same.

Today, i have been thinking of getting a netgear rangemax but thats about £100+ and thats double what i paid for the original linksys bundle... I hate it when you get problems like this and end up going further and further up in price...

In a strange twist of fate though, the 3Com router that i had thought had died might not have after all, it may just have been the adapter that fried!!! So i'm going to try and borrow a replacement off someone for a bit, then test if it still connects fine. If it does, I'm off to Maplin to get a replacement!!! Then going to stick with that and wait for the n-standard to be finalised, or at least wait for the MIMO/Pre-N range to come down in price.

For those who can put the router in a central place, I'm sure that it wont be a problem if you go for the linksys. Great setup, they are very small and the wired connection was fine, no lockups, connection losses or drops. But if you are at the extremes of your house, then maybe not...

2p worth

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    I have had 2 NetHear DG834 boxes. My first was a NetGear DG834G and it was good - I ran it for over 2 years, but now I have upgraded to a NetGear DG834PN Rangemaster which is rock solid and has better range and signal strenght & throughput that my original Netgear DG834G - (which is now runing a friends home network quite happily).

I have only sent 2 Tech Support quieries to NetGear and got a good and fast response. You can get a bundle of DG834PN plus a wireless card for a laptop for under £100 including post (Lowest on Web)
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    There is an external aerial socket on top of my Linksys, it might be worth trying a cheapo Hi-gain anetnna to see if that boosts the signal enough.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100mb
    As a final update, it appears that it WAS just the power adaptor - got another, and back to 24/36mb on wifi - great - who'd have thought the officeconnect was so good! Also returned the WAG354G to PC world, and they seemed to suggest that there had been a few returned for the same....shame on you linksys...

Thread Information