Thread: Anyone ever done any long-range wireless ?

Thanks

Anyone ever done any long-range wireless ?

Thinking of having a play with one of these
    Got a friend who lives about 1KM from me. We dont have direct LOS, but its farly close (mainly trees). Would be using 802.11a, so much better with a non LOS situation.
    Even if it didnt reach, would just be interested for the fun of it
    Last edited by Agent; 30-05-2006 at 07:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    I did have a play around with some long range equipment for a satellite project I did a while back. A lot of it was theory based though I did get some practical time in, compass bearings are the best way to line them up, we then got a laser pen out but don't think that'll work with trees in the way. The max range of a fairly standard 802.11a kit is about 500-600m outside. With a high gain antenna like that you could theoretically double the range. Definately worth a shot, though that antenna says its 360 degree, might be worth looking into a more directional one, Wireless networks are notoriously unsafe...
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    Regarding the safety of them : Would be WPA with MAC locking, and the internet wouldn’t be accessible from the connection anyway. Even if someone got into the network, they wouldn’t really find anything without going into the hassle of breaking into the FTP server too.
    Provided I have the money, I may give this a shot after my holiday

UKMuFFiN
    Me and my mate were getting into this a few years back. We were signed up to http://www.wirelesswales.net/ but after GCSE's and stuff i just sort of forgot about it. An alternative to netorking your computers albeit a lot less exciting is Hamachi which basically connects you through the internet privately through different nodes.

Anyway forget that last bit coz your gonna go with the wireless coz its more fun and you'll have bragigng rights! All the best with it and let us know how you get on

Thanks
    WPA with MAC is fairly safe, MACs can be emulated but the only way to break WPA is through dictionary attacks, your fine for a simple network like yours. Let us know if you have any sucess! Are you both going to get insane aerials or just the one?
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenNight
    WPA with MAC is fairly safe, MACs can be emulated but the only way to break WPA is through dictionary attacks, your fine for a simple network like yours. Let us know if you have any sucess! Are you both going to get insane aerials or just the one?
    But getting the MAC in the first place is another thing !
    The keys on WPA will be set to the longest, random string of ASCII that is possible. Doing a dictionary attack just wouldn’t make sense. Would also change it regularly if needed.

I think just one aerial at the moment and take it from there. If we do get 2, i need to find out how to link the 2 up together to act as one connection (bridge ?). Not really done anything like this before

Thanks
    Getting a MAC and switching your wireless kit to that MAC takes seconds if you know what your doing in Linux, WPA with random code is almost impossible to crack.

If your going down the two aerial route either just whack one onto a router and one onto the card at the other end. Or just one on each card at each end and do an Ad-Hoc connection.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenNight
    Getting a MAC and switching your wireless kit to that MAC takes seconds if you know what your doing in Linux...
    Its pretty easy to change it at a hardware level too with most cards . What im highlighting though is that you would need to know the MAC address to spoof in the first place. With the shear number of combinations of this too, that in its own right would take an age

Thanks
    With a copy of Ethereal and a wireless card it takes about 20 seconds.

MAC addresses are unencypted
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Really ?
    Well thats freaking stupid. Didnt realise that

thanks for the info !

Thanks
    MAC security is just another layer ( albeit a thin one )
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thread Information