Thread: Please help me with my new router and ICS

Thanks

Please help me with my new router and ICS

I am a total noob when it comes to WiFi and routers. I have been running an Adhoc network for a few months pretty well. Mainly just to connect my Squeezebox and PDA. But i also just got a PSP which i cant get to connect to my adhoc network. So i just bought a D-Link wireless router (router only, no modem) to sort this out and finaly get a 'proper' network.

ICS used to work fine, but with my router it just wont work. Do to being stuck on dialup for the time being, my PC has a modem which i used to be able to share nicely.

Can someone please tell me where to start?! As far as i can tell, the PC is set up right for ICS. Everything is connecting to the network and working fine (including my PSP) and i can even load up and view local webpages stored on the PC but nothing can reach the internet (such as my squeezebox's server software which has a webpage interface).

BTW, the windows firewall and routers firewall are both off for the time being.

Thanks.

Splash
    Erm, I may be missing the point but if you have a wireless wouter why are you using ICS? I used ICS once back in the days when I thought Windows 98 was king of the hill, but from memory it was a notoriously faffy beast.

From what I've read your setup goes

internet----ICS PC----Wireless Router----Other stuff

Is this right? ICS from what I recall essentially allows you to use NAT, which I suspect your router does too - double NAT (which I suspect is the situation you are in) is a pain in the rear.

Can you confirm that your setup is as I think? Once I have a bit more info we can go further down the road...

EDIT - just re-read your post which seems to confirm your setup as I thought. Can you disable NAT on the router at all?

Thanks
    "if you have a wireless wouter why are you using ICS" - but what other option is there?

I have no access to ADSL, and wont anytime soon.

So i have to use dialup. I want to network all my wireless stuff together - this includes my PDA and PSP which i would like to be able to go on the net with.

Googling a bit, it seems many people are in the same boat as me but i cant find a solution.

I'm completely lost. i f***ing hate my dialup situation but hey ho.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Your router's probably handing out addresses via DHCP, which'll include the router as the default gateway. You want the router's DHCP server to be OFF, and for it to have a static address. ICS will hand out IP addresses in the 192.168.0.X range, and it will usually set itself to be 1 (so your router should be something other than 1; maybe 254 or something like that). Its DHCP service will hand out other addresses and also the default gateway. All your machines should be on the LAN side of your router (so you're just using it as a switch/access point), because the routing is being done by ICS.

Thanks
    Thanks for your help guys, but i took it back and picked up a basic wireless access point which works great.

Thread Information