Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabling advice needed

Thanks
    We had really shoddy wireing +10 years old going to a extension socket upstairs to a master in the kitchen. I was fed up with this as we where getting 2mb/s on DSL max, which was pretty lame. A major overhall was required.

I contaced BT and asked them to give me a new mastersocket seen as ours was a old type one, and not as good for wireing extensions and the like, they said £110+more. So bugger that, and got one myself off the internet, with a ADSL faceplate, extended the drop wire with some Cat5e to a new socket upstairs, then wired the new extensions into the filterd part of adsl faceplate. Took some pictures of the serveral stages. We also re-did the arial socets to the rooms in the house while we where up there.

Now the conection is 3mb/s +

http://vault.emobash.com/?subdir=dan...re&sortby=name

Thanks
    Before you do anything you should take your kit to the master socket and plug it in there having first disconnected the extn wiring to upstairs . It's not just wiring that can have an effect , certain telephones with capacitor stored memorys and other features can also have a bearing.

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless
    Quote Originally Posted by merdat View Post
    Before you do anything you should take your kit to the master socket and plug it in there having first disconnected the extn wiring to upstairs
    I did, look a coupla posts back

The result was that the connection was twice as fast hooked up to the master.

There's obviously a problem with the internal wiring though, because if I even hook up the extensions (without anything plugged into the extension sockets) speed drops 1 mb. With eveything reconnected to the sockets (thru filters) it drrops even further

Thanks
    Well in that case you should have a visual inspection of the wiring at each socket ie master --1st socket and 2nd socket. Your will have to take a screwdriver and remove the 2 frontplate screws and have a look at the wiring connections. At the master there should be wires on 2,5 and (3 which is the bell wire). now ideally the colours on there should be the same as the colours on 1st upstairs socket and also the second socket. More important is that master 2 goes to 1st 2 then 2nd socket 2 and master 5 goes to 1st socket 5 goes to 2nd socket 5 . See diagrams on that pipex link if unsure.Your builders have maybe crossed a wire . Next step would be to plug gear into 1st socket after disconnecting the second socket wiring. This will show is problem lies between master and 1st socket or 1st and 2nd socket.

If you do not want to dis wires etc then you best option is either a long ethernet cable to where you want kit or get a wireless jobbie for you pc.

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless
    Thanks for that ! That's a big help.

I might have a check of the wiring if I'm feeling confident

I think you're probably right about the builders maybe making a blunder with the wiring. Easy mistake to make I s'pose.

I've currently got a 15m patch cable in place. Well, I say in place, more all over the place. The snag is that the connection runs at 3.5mb connected to the test socket, but as soon as I connect the faceplate it drops to 2.5 So I've had the net connected and all the phones disconnected

Wireless might be an option but this PC is meant to serve as a media hub so I was hoping to stream HD video which I'm led to believe is problematic if not sent through a wire.

Thanks again for everyone's input !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information