Thread: Upgrade Q

Metier9

Upgrade Q

1st q: Which is the way install Vista and XP on the same machine, Vista install first or XP?

2nd q:
    LN15047
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, Socket 775, 1.86 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Allendale Core, 2MB Cache, Retail £96.98 £113.95

LN17655
    Abit I90HD Fatal1ty ATI, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667, SATA II, ATX, On Board VGA £64.99 £76.36

LN12200
    2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC5400 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12 £94.54 £222.17 (*2)

LN11602
    430w Seasonic S12-430 aPFC PSU Silent ATX2.0 *New Version RoHS £38.99 £45.81

Im waiting for the e6320, also would put a silent cooling device for the cpu. Would use the Abit onboard equiv of x700 for any graphics i would need.. got 4gb ram, well vista likes a big breakfast plus can always give the onboard vga a nice supply + multi purpose box (storage at the mo) can use the same type of ram.. incase i need to do some swapping .

anything on the list the shouts 'nooooooooooooooo not me'

edit: Got a free version of Vista Business 64 or 32, business doesnt have the Aero thingy does it?

Thanks
    I take it you have an upgrade version of Vista...

In which case the official way is to have Windows XP installed and activated and then install Windows Vista over the top of it. This I believe renders your XP licence useless, i.e. it won't work from then on; you'll just have Vista.

There is a 'work-around' on the above but I don't know whether this forums encourages it since it's technically illegal by breaking the Eula agreement. You'll have to google it if you wish to do so.

I can't really comment on the motherboard but the RAM maybe considered overkill. I guess it all depends on what your usage is but 2x1GB can be had for under £100 for the value type or just over that for the performance type.

And yes, business does have Aero - it's just Basic that doesn't.

Metier9
    that price of ram is for 4gb

I dont have an upgrade version, i have access to a msdn so complete copies of XP and Vista.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Metier9 View Post
    that price of ram is for 4gb
    Yeah, I know . What I'm saying is that 4GB might be overkill (depending on what you're using it for). Also I was highlighting that 2x1GB (which is sufficient for most) is a lot cheaper, i.e. under £100. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Metier9 View Post
    I dont have an upgrade version, i have access to a msdn so complete copies of XP and Vista.
    To be honest I have no idea how the msdn version works. I would image that you once downloaded and burnt to disc it can be used to carry out a clean install (without XP installed) - but maybe someone else could verify this.

Metier9
    i suppose i could go for value ram.. think its £95 off the top of my head.

Trouble is old boy is that i need to reinstall XP very soon and then later i would install Vista.. i just want to know if Vista will eat XP :S

Thread Information