Thread: switching a A7v266-E with a A7v333 on the sly...

Thanks

switching a A7v266-E with a A7v333 on the sly...

My 16 year old son left for his love of his life to LA last week and I was told NOT to go near his PC... But he's been complaining of speed and other problems with his A7v266-E motherboard that I got him several years ago. So I figured I would try to upgrade it while he was away with more ram 1gig (no problem there) Then I bought a new CPU AMD Athlon XP 2600+ - AXDA2600DKV4D which he said is what he would need to top out the speed of his board. But I'm no genius, I work with computers and software daily. Every place I looked they said I would be able to clock up to @ 1900 with this chip. I installed it and it worked fine at @ 1500. Then leaving the multiple at 11.5 but changing the CPU speed to 266/? which is what the stats say you could run, I think it said /4 something the screen went black, and stayed black.

I went to this site (you know add the 3 www, I have to write it this way so it will post on this board. wayhankfiles.pcvsconsole.com/answer.php?file=564[/url] where it said to change the CPU External Frequency to (MHz): 166. It was at 133 before I change it and run fine.

Anyway I think that is a lost cause for now. So...

As he is coming back home via the read eye tomorrow, I have decided to give him my motherboard also an Asus, a7v333. How do I do this tonight without major problem so that he will not know that I have screwed around with his original motherboard. My board id running with a Athlon 1800+ CPU. The board has to go into his computer shell since he has many more fans than I have. But I'm open to anyones suggestion on what is the safest and best way to do this. We all are using Win2k and firefox. I have my work computer to scan messages after I pull the whole thing apart.

I'm at your mercy for now.

Sherri

Thanks
    It's late, It should read 166 not 266.

Sherri,

Thanks
    Hi,

Sounds like he's lucky to have you as a mum.

That CPU is a 166fsb chip (there were a few 133fsb XP2600s but they are very rare) & simply put that mobo can't run there (I had 1 - in fact my mum is still running it) as it's chipset wasn't designed for it.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS on the A7V266?
    That should probably get it up & running again.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thread Information