Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks

Water Cooling

ive herd alot about water cooling.. and was jsut wondering if its worth its price tag and if so whats a good kit??

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    crap water cooling isn't as good as *good* air cooling, and still more expensive. you are looking at spending in the region of £150+ for something comparable/better to the best water cooling out there. i've been looking into this recently too, and trying to figure the best solution for the lack of space in my case

Nox

Thanks
    Yep you got to spend to get results, in considering buying the Austek Waterchill Kit, looks pretty good. I just want a quiet system for a change
    Last edited by Darkmatter; 24-12-2003 at 02:09 PM.

Eccentric Trend setter
    Thanks
    I'd buy the parts separately if I were you. Danger Den gear is very good.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Darkmatter
    Yep you got to spend to get results, in considering buying the Austek Waterchill Kit, looks pretty good. I just want a quiet system for a change
    IME the Asetek is a good easy kit to setup, but the performance is a little lacking.

I played around with 3 sets, Danger Den, Innovatek and Waterchill and their performance rank is in the order I have listed above. Obviously there are other considerations into account in noise, userfriendlyness (sp ?) and tidyness of the whole kit.

IMO if you have an AMD setup and looking to push the overclocks to the max then Waterchill is definatly not the kit for you.

Thanks
    IMO Watercooling is only as good (not better) than a decent air cooling setup ... what the good point is that the equal watercooling system is alot quieter than a powerful air cooling solution!

If your not bothered too much about cooling performance I cool my entire system with 2 fans (CPU, PSU) and there barley hearable over the HDD! Only cost me around £50-60ish todo the rest of the case (quiet CPU cooler, Zalman stuff all round, acoustic matting etc.) but its well worth it, lol!

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Registered+
    Thanks
    hmmm i have to disagree, my waterchill kit is running my 2400xp @ 2800 at 28 - 30 idle 36 full load. Im not saying its the best cos i dont know, but dont diss it, cos to me these are good temps
    [-Hoochy-]

Thanks
    the above posts are not very usefull tbh.

watercooling can cost upto £500.
    watercooling can also cost £120 for exactly the same performace/niose if you buy the rght parts.

firstly, the rad most ppl get are commercail new ones designed for watercooling - cost between £50 and £70. this eing where the biggest saving is made. cars have used radiators (and heatercores) for a LOT longer than ppl have been watercooling. most of them are very high quality *if* you get one in good condition. heatercores are better because rads can be v big and unsuitable.
    heatercores are about £10.
    finding one in a car breakers is diffiucult if it hasnt been taken out first, and they might not have any taken out. heatercores are on the inside of car behind the dashboard so are difficult to get too.

buying stuff second hand (i did) also makes it cost a lot less..
    i got my cpu, nb, and gpu all w/c for ~£100. i will v soon be adding mosfets, ram and gfx ram to the w/c so i can o/c bit higher

commercail w/c kits are all overpriced and rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe. they cut conrers (like using 3/8" tubing instead of 1/2"!) to save money and make them cheaper, which sorta defeats the point in having it as it makes the performace worse than air..

i have 4x80mm fans on my heatercore - this is instead of 2 niosy 40mm fans and an 80mm fan on cpu. each run 5v modded and are silent. pump is also silent. psu is silent. hdd is the only thing making niose atm

Thanks
    There is a swiftech kit that is meant to be good for £165, can't remember where. Google it.
    P4 3.0C@4.05 | Abit IC7 Max 2 | 1GB KingMax PC4000| Radeon 9700Pro | 560GB| Echo Gina 24 | Dell 2001FP|

Thanks
    Originally posted by Hutchy
    hmmm i have to disagree, my waterchill kit is running my 2400xp @ 2800 at 28 - 30 idle 36 full load. Im not saying its the best cos i dont know, but dont diss it, cos to me these are good temps
    Assuming your reply was for me ?

Well we'll have agree to disagree, because I'm not dissing it - just my honest findings after using 3 different WC kits on the same setup, lets not forget I paid good money for my set too and found it lacking cf to the other 2.

Thanks
    I spent $550 USD on my first and last watercooling setup >.<.. But I went all out, I cooled the CPU, GPU, DDR MEMORY, Chipset, hard drive... I also had a three way device w/ built in resivoir, another full resivoir, the best radiator, the best pump... Then I even put 5 Papst fans in the case as well, just for the hell of it. It was a nice setup, because I was one of the first people to get the P4 3.06ghz 533mhz chip.
    Shuttle SB61G2 - P4 3.2ghz - GeForce FX 5950 - 512mb Corsair XMS Pc3700 - WD Raptor 36.7GB 10KRPM SATA - WD Raptor 74GB 10KRPM SATA - DVD/CDRW Combo Drive - External DVD-RW Drive - Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 GMX - Stealthed DVD

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    alright so what i am hearing is ...
    they arnt worth the BIG bucks you spend on em unless you make it yourself??
    btw what about the aircon thing in a car... how does that work?

AND how much does a bottle of 600ml coke cost in england?
    Last edited by Applecrusher; 25-12-2003 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Aircon thing? I'll assume you mean the Heater Core... If I'm not wrong, hot water is used to heat them up, and air is blown through them (making the car warmer). This is nice... if it's in a car... and it's cold. However, if it isn't in a car, and it's in a water cooling loop - it can be used as a cheap alternative for a radiator and fan. Not all heatercores are built for the 120mm fan standard, though, so a shroud must be made to connect the fan to the core.

I think Vauxhall Nova heatercores are the most popular. I might be wrong, though

I use a Thermochill 120.2.

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    hmmm... im having a look round for things to use for the radiator...
    bty does this kit look any good? its $300 (AU) and looks easy...

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Swiftech kits are very good from what I've read, although, have a look at getting a larger radiator (minimum of 1x120mm). If you're overclocking, or aiming for silence, etc, you'll get alot more cooling and silence potential from a 120mm fan/rad than an 80mm job

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    but i dont have a 120 mm place for the fan... would 2 80 mm radiators do?? cause i have 4 fan slots.... 2 front 2 rear

EDIT
    BTY is it possible to get some realy real cold thing and blow air over it?? this would be on the in fans.... and would it cool the system more??
    Last edited by Applecrusher; 26-12-2003 at 10:36 AM.

Thread Information