• PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Just think, at some point I bet Microsoft will just turn round and charge you £10 a month...

Nox

Vampire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    So the expense would be your taxes. K?
    In that case its perfectly absolutely fine. Will be paying a shedload of taxes and it will be going up every year. It usually doesnt do any good either.

I bought an OS to use on a single computer - that is all I intend to do. I dont intend to migrate the OS to a whole new computer.

So I dont understand why people want to get their panties in a twist over that. And if MS choose to let me do so, why are you questioning it ? If MS chooses not to let my copy of Vista activate, then fair enough - I'll go buy another one. But until then, I bought a copy for one PC and I will use it on that PC whatever it takes.

If MS want to charge a monthly fee, then let them implement it and I will see if I am willing to pay that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    I bought an OS to use on a single computer - that is all I intend to do. I dont intend to migrate the OS to a whole new computer.

So I dont understand why people want to get their panties in a twist over that. And if MS choose to let me do so, why are you questioning it ? If MS chooses not to let my copy of Vista activate, then fair enough - I'll go buy another one. But until then, I bought a copy for one PC and I will use it on that PC whatever it takes.
    As I've already said, why should the genuine users miss out (if not on the use of the OS then on the money) to those cheating the system, whether MS turn a blind eye or not? I've paid £195 for a license, and you've paid £70 (just using HP as an example). Why wouldn't I be annoyed if you were trying to get to the same as what I got?

As for the "1 PC" thing... is that in the same way as Trigger's broom on Only Fools and Horses?

In that case its perfectly absolutely fine. Will be paying a shedload of taxes and it will be going up every year. It usually doesnt do any good either.
    Hehe, very true. Looking from the inside out at least the education sector is just very, very inefficient.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. I've got a netball match tomorrow.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    But shouldnt you be more miffed at microsoft for turning a blind eye and effectively allowing to people to be reactivating OEM vistas, when you have paid them £195 for your copy and the other person has paid £70?

Just being devils advocate here, I dont really care either way as I havent bought vista because of the unfair pricing in the UK.
    Last edited by Clunk; 16-03-2007 at 01:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Vampire
    Thanks
    Not sure what the broom reference is to...

But you should be annoyed at MS for letting me do that ...

Good luck with the match.

As I've already said, why should the genuine users miss out (if not on the use of the OS then on the money) to those cheating the system, whether MS turn a blind eye or not? I've paid £195 for a license, and you've paid £70 (just using HP as an example). Why wouldn't I be annoyed if you were trying to get to the same as what I got?

As for the "1 PC" thing... is that in the same way as Trigger's broom on Only Fools and Horses?

Hehe, very true. Looking from the inside out at least the education sector is just very, very inefficient.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. I've got a netball match tomorrow.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Just think, at some point I bet Microsoft will just turn round and charge you £10 a month...

Nox
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070222-8907.html

Thanks
    The service allows users to pay a monthly fee of around $0 for the use of OpenOffice.
    There, that sounds much better now
    Oh but wait, wheres all the revenue gone ???

Thanks
    My interpretation of the license is you use it on the computer you put it on. Which I will. You dont get support calls to MS with an OEM license - and I wont be making those calls.

If MS obliges in activating it, then what the hell is your problem ? Some so called phantom increase in the difficulty of your job ? Exactly how ?
    That's a bit of a selfish attitude to be taking isn't it?

It's a bit like, "I'm going to 'borrow' a TV from a shop, and as long as I bring it back in good condition, it's not stealing".

We all know that's wrong, but would it still be wrong if you were caught 'borrowing' the TV, and the shop owner just turned a blind eye? Imo, yes that would be wrong.

You can't just interpret things however you feel. It clearly states that an OEM license stays with the motherboard it's activated with.

WARNING! It's against the law to speed.
    (but if you're in a hurry, it's OK)

Why do you need to change a motherboard so many times anyway?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...ecial_uid=1273

Vista Home premium retail = £186.35
    Vista Home premium OEM = £70.48

According to those prices, you can change your motherboard almost 3 times and buy the OEM edition each time before you reach the same price of buying retail once. Knowing that prices will probably drop a little, and XP was out for 5-6 years before vista was released, that means that with 3 motherboard changes, you'll only have each one for 2 years before you're going to want the next best OS.

Do you really change your hardware that often anyway? If you do, then you're "it's too expensive" argument just went out the window, and if you don't, then you may as well just buy an OEM on the odd occasion you do upgrade.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    @acrobat: It's not unknown for a BIOS update, or even a settings change to trigger the reactivation, so if you can do a full motherboard change without it triggering, you've got some luck on your side!
    Wow. Thats quite strict but it makes sense I suppose. I must have got lucky with XP because I reinstalled a new motherboard (and all kinds of stuff) and never had that happen. Vista must be a bit better at detecting though.

I think you are stuck then really. Like someone said, its only fair that the Retail version lets you do a few activations but OEM is a one time thing. Thats the point of the retail version and im sure if it didnt work like that, the people who paid more for retail wouldn't be happy.

P.S.
    I hate to hyjack this thread but its better than starting my own I guess.... Can I buy Vista and install it on a new hard drive in my PC, and keep XP on this hard drive? That way I can try it out for a while and if it goes well... I can just format my XP drive?

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobat View Post
    P.S.
    I hate to hyjack this thread but its better than starting my own I guess.... Can I buy Vista and install it on a new hard drive in my PC, and keep XP on this hard drive? That way I can try it out for a while and if it goes well... I can just format my XP drive?
    yes

but beware of bootloaders

Vampire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun View Post

It's a bit like, "I'm going to 'borrow' a TV from a shop, and as long as I bring it back in good condition, it's not stealing".

We all know that's wrong, but would it still be wrong if you were caught 'borrowing' the TV, and the shop owner just turned a blind eye? Imo, yes that would be wrong.

You can't just interpret things however you feel. It clearly states that an OEM license stays with the motherboard it's activated with.

Vista Home premium retail = &#163;186.35
    Vista Home premium OEM = &#163;70.48

According to those prices, you can change your motherboard almost 3 times and buy the OEM edition each time before you reach the same price of buying retail once. Knowing that prices will probably drop a little, and XP was out for 5-6 years before vista was released, that means that with 3 motherboard changes, you'll only have each one for 2 years before you're going to want the next best OS.

Do you really change your hardware that often anyway? If you do, then you're "it's too expensive" argument just went out the window, and if you don't, then you may as well just buy an OEM on the odd occasion you do upgrade.
    Just in case you were wondering, yes I WILL SPEED IF I THINK I WONT GET CAUGHT. And I bet you do too. If you dont then thats good for you.

If I paid for a TV I damn well want a TV. If the shop does not give me the TV I paid for, or decides to not return it after warranty repair, then they will have a very pleasant meeting in court. Your example of borrowing a TV is fatally flawed and bears no relation to Vista licensing.

With quality motherboard prices over the &#163;100 mark I dont want another &#163;70 added on to it. I dont change it very often - my last setup is still here after 2.5 years, but that does not mean I dont want the option.

End result - I will keep activating my Vista if MS allows me to - You *might* go buy another copy with each motherboard, although I would say it is very very probable that you will try to activate yours again.

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    infact not even a BIOS update blew my trial of XP x64, had a 5 sec power cut, my machine rebooted itself (obviously) bios hung. Did a bios reset, fine booted, but as I didn't think to change the date back the system thought i had been messing and prematurely expired my copy. Oh well. Thought it was pretty good till then.

Nox

Ask me stuff
    Thanks
    • DecomposingStar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium Wifi
      • CPU:
      • E6400 C2D Intel @ OC'd to 2.91ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x 1GB OCZ Platinum Edition (800mhz - 4/4/12) (32bit Vista runs it at 3.3gb)
      • Storage:
      • 1 Maxtor DiamondMax 80gb HDD, 1x Western Caviar 250gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 2900XT HIS Oc'd 810/899
      • PSU:
      • 670W HiperPower
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 - Customised.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns.G 19" HW191D
      • Internet:
      • 2mb NTL/Virgin
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun View Post

Vista Home premium retail = £186.35
    Vista Home premium OEM = £70.48

I bought my system soon before i bought vista, and i didn't realise how crap my motherboad was, so in these terms, i dont change it often.

I've got all the information i need now.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Moralising posturing aside (and it really is sickening) it's up to MS whether he's reactivated or not - not you, not me - MS. End of story.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    But shouldnt you be more miffed at microsoft for turning a blind eye and effectively allowing to people to be reactivating OEM vistas, when you have paid them £195 for your copy and the other person has paid £70?
    When it happens, yep. Still, there's no MS employee here to moan at (that I'm aware of), so I'd just be shouting and arguing with my own echoes.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    When it happens, yep. Still, there's no MS employee here to moan at (that I'm aware of), so I'd just be shouting and arguing with my own echoes.
    Paul Adams is an MS employee

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information