Thread: Subtle PSU problem with Yesico FL-550 fanless

Registered+
    Thanks

Subtle PSU problem with Yesico FL-550 fanless

Hi,
    I have a question about what sort of symptoms a faulty or inadequate PSU might cause.
    I recently had my 450w PSU die on me so took the oportunity to upgrade to a silent model (a Yesico 550w fanless) as I like my computer to be as quiet as possible. Since then I have noticed that my graphics performance is definately slower in a weird sort of way. Performance in games is variable and strangely does not improve when the settings are turned to minimum. I am thinking that maybe the PSU is not delivering enough current or volatges are unastable or something. The rated power of the PSU higher than the previous one however and all other apects of the computer seem to work fine. I initially thought that my graphics card was damaged by the old failed PSU so replaced it but same problem !
    Unfortunately I don't have a spare suitable PSU to test so would need to send the current one back or buy another.
    So my questions is whether this is consistent with a PSU problem and does anyone have experience of the Yesico FL-550-ATX fanless ?

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media
    i have never heard of yesico so i could not comment.

i would say try and take a look at what the psu is outputting with a multimeter as this will give you an idea what the problem could be. also feel how pysically heavy the power supply is. a good quality power supply should weigh a far few where as a cheap one would not
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks
    What are your specs??
    Your psu spec is here Yesico FL-550ATX Fanless 550W PSU assuming i found the right model.

key facts
    +12V1 maximum output current 18 A
    +12V2 maximum output current 16 A
    Now 1 rail is powering your cpu leaving hopefully 18A to power the rest of your system. As we don't know this can't help An x1900xt gfx card on load can pull 9A.
    Given u want a silent psu u also don't want the psu overloaded so i would think 80% max load which gives 85% of 18A= 14.5A max load.

Ask me stuff
    Thanks
    • DecomposingStar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium Wifi
      • CPU:
      • E6400 C2D Intel @ OC'd to 2.91ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x 1GB OCZ Platinum Edition (800mhz - 4/4/12) (32bit Vista runs it at 3.3gb)
      • Storage:
      • 1 Maxtor DiamondMax 80gb HDD, 1x Western Caviar 250gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 2900XT HIS Oc'd 810/899
      • PSU:
      • 670W HiperPower
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 - Customised.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns.G 19" HW191D
      • Internet:
      • 2mb NTL/Virgin
    You should only buy trusted brand PSU's.
    It sounds like you're right, it's not delivering enough power to the graphics, maybe it's faulty, maybe its a crap PSU manufacturer. Send it back where you got it, and get another one, if the same problem persists then try get a full refund and get another make.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    My system is an Abit AB9 Mobo with a E6600 processor, 2x320Gb HDs, a DVD drive and a Radeon 1950XT graphics card. Sounds like my PSU should have enough power for this, theoretically at least.

The Yesico FL-550-ATX fanless is regarded as a decent PSU and favoured amongst the 'silent PC' enthusiasts. It was expensive at £150, seems very well made and is certainly completely silent !

Since my first post I have started suffering sudden system shutdowns (as if the power plug is pulled out). This seems further indication of a PSU problem.
    It's still under guarantee so I will get a replacement......

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Xtanto's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z68
      • CPU:
      • 2600k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250 Vertex 3 and 2TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 520 Watt
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 1600x1200 viewsonic
      • Internet:
      • no internet access
    ""Performance in games is variable and strangely does not improve when the settings are turned to minimum. I am thinking that maybe the PSU is not delivering enough current or voltages are unstable or something.""

The power from the PSU can not affect the speed of the card only the stability.

If you get random shutdowns, gfx artifacts and the like it could be your new PSU however the variable performance you describe sounds like it is not related to power.

You can see the voltages on each rail in the bios of your MB or with a monitoring program in windows.

My guess is that some other issue is affecting the performance of your PC - What game are you testing with?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yesterday I was about to take the PSU out and send it back so had the computer on my desk with the case open. While it was running I nudged the main power connector to the Mobo - the one with the 24 pin plug on it- and the computer suddenly shut down and would not restart. I unplugged and replugged the 24 pin connector and it worked again. After an hour or so the computer shut down suddenly again. This time I had a careful look at the male sockets on the 24 pin connecor and a few looked a little 'splayed' to I closed them up with a pair of fine pliers. Everything now seems to work including the graphics performance and I have had no more sudden shutdowns in the last 12 hours.
    Hopefully this has sorted the problem......
    Presumably one or more of the contacts were not secure.
    Only goes to show that computers are complicated beasts that can go wrong in many strange ways !

Thread Information