Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4567891017273747 ... LastLast

Thread: C2D Overclocking Guide for Beginners

Thanks
    Got my new build up and running with the stock HSF on XP Pro x64. Before I start overclocking I'm running Orthos for a bit at stock E4300 speeds. I will also be installing my Tuniq Tower 120 later, but want to know how much more efficient it will be over the stock HSF.

As per the guide, I'm running both CoreTemp 0.94 beta and Intel TAT 2.05 to monitor temps and the temps from each program vary by about 14C-15C. CoreTemp is showing 44C for both cores and TAT is showing 58C for both cores, after running Orthos Blend for about 12 minutes. These temps have levelled off now and are no longer rising (at the moment).

I know there is often variation between programs but with such a large difference, which program should I believe for my OC experiments ?

Also, are these temps about normal at stock speeds running Orthos blend ?

Thanks
    I'm also slightly confused by the memory frequency. If I have a FSB of 266, I realise that to have 1:1 timings I should set the mem freq to 533.

However, should I still set it to 533 if I have PC6400 DDR800 memory, or would it be better to just set it to 800 ?

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    The difference in monitoring programs is normal....well, it shouldnt be normal, but thats just how it is. As mentioned in the guide, use a couple of them and do an average, thats what I do anyway.

You can set the ram to 800 if you want. But have another read of the guide, it mentions that with the cpu at 266 and ram at 533, when you start upping the fsb, the ram speed will also rise automatically, so if you set it to 800 right away, you wont get much of an overclock. Does that make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    You can set the ram to 800 if you want. But have another read of the guide, it mentions that with the cpu at 266 and ram at 533, when you start upping the fsb, the ram speed will also rise automatically, so if you set it to 800 right away, you wont get much of an overclock. Does that make sense?
    Not really. I don't understand why it would limit the OC. If I set the RAM to 800MHz, then why would the OC be limited as I can still set the FSB to anything I want ?

I also haven't disabled SpeedStep, and noticed in CPU-Z that the speed drops from 2.88GHz to about 1.9GHz when idle, but goes straight back up to 2.88GHz when I do some task (eg. launch an app or resize a window). Is SpeedStep a good thing or bad thing when OC'ing ?

Thanks
    Think about it.

If the ram speed rises as you up the FSB, and you start with the ram at 800, as soon as you start to raise the fsb, you will be running the ram out of spec.

In other words, your ram is rated at 800mhz, it may overclock a bit, or it may not, but there is no need to worry about running it that way. For the purpose of the guide, we are keeping the ram at 1:1 - 266/533 - 300/600 - 400/800 etc, and if you follow the guide, you will see the ram speed rise along with the cpu speed.
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Turn speedstep off.
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Think about it.

If the ram speed rises as you up the FSB, and you start with the ram at 800, as soon as you start to raise the fsb, you will be running the ram out of spec.

In other words, your ram is rated at 800mhz, it may overclock a bit, or it may not, but there is no need to worry about running it that way. For the purpose of the guide, we are keeping the ram at 1:1 - 266/533 - 300/600 - 400/800 etc, and if you follow the guide, you will see the ram speed rise along with the cpu speed.
    Ah, I get it now. I was thinking that if I manually set the RAM speed to 800MHz, then it would always stay at that speed, even if I changed the FSB up or down.

So, as the E4300 has a stock FSB of 200MHz, then if I set the RAM to 800MHz and then up the FSB to 300MHz, what will the RAM go up to ?

The reason I wanted to run it at 800MHz, is that the RAM is rated at that speed and so it seems like a bit of a waste if I'm only running it at 533 or 600.

So, as I have an E4300 with a stock 200MHz FSB, then if I set the RAM to 800MHz and up the

Does that mean that if I manually set it to 800MHz, then as my E4300 has a stock FSB of 200MHz

Turn speedstep off.
    Why is it a good idea to turn it off though when OC'ing (I like to understand why something is done ) ?
    Last edited by Defenestration; 06-04-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    Also, why is it a good idea to disable Execute Disable Bit as this can help prevent malicious code from executing through buffer overflows ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Defenestration View Post
    Ah, I get it now. I was thinking that if I manually set the RAM speed to 800MHz, then it would always stay at that speed, even if I changed the FSB up or down.

So, as the E4300 has a stock FSB of 200MHz, then if I set the RAM to 800MHz and then up the FSB to 300MHz, what will the RAM go up to ? Its all in the guide, read about Double Data Rate

The reason I wanted to run it at 800MHz, is that the RAM is rated at that speed and so it seems like a bit of a waste if I'm only running it at 533 or 600.

So, as I have an E4300 with a stock 200MHz FSB, then if I set the RAM to 800MHz and up the

Does that mean that if I manually set it to 800MHz, then as my E4300 has a stock FSB of 200MHz

Why is it a good idea to turn it off though when OC'ing (I like to understand why something is done ) ?
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Defenestration View Post
    Also, why is it a good idea to disable Execute Disable Bit as this can help prevent malicious code from executing through buffer overflows ?
    Leave it on if you like, I found things to be more stable with it off.
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks

Need help overclocking MSI p6n sli-fi with a 6300e :)

I am a pure beginner regarding overclocking issues. I ve just found your great beginner guide and decided to join your nice forum

I'll appreciate a guide or basic figures (RAM values and other necessary tweaks) for overclocking my MSI p6n sli-fi (650i) equipped with a 6300e conroe and 2 gigs of ram...

When i try to use the MSI SOFTWARE the system generally locks down... Should i close all the things in the BIOS before attempting this? Or is it better to overclock using the BIOS itself? If so, ill appreciate any basic numbers and suggestions within the specs of my system which is listed under my profile...

I am not an enthuiast but i hate using such a system with stock speeds... I can at least hit 2.5 ghz speed i believe... But HOW?

Thanks and have a nice day

Thanks
    This thread should help you out.

I'll be adding some 680i stuff this week, I think the 650i bios is very similar (or the same).

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...&highlight=qdr
    Last edited by Clunk; 08-04-2007 at 12:14 PM.
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Not having much luck on my E4300 on the DS3p.

At 335 fsb it crashes at 1.4 volts even as soon as i started TAT to checking the temps (less volts than that and windows crashes on loading) .
    I just tried putting it up to 1.45 to see if it was lack of voltage, and now it is working but temps are reaching 68c.

I'll obviously reduce the voltage eventually but is there anything else I should be checking.

Many people seem to be getting 3ghz at stock voltage, a bit of a dissapointment if mine can't do it at 1.4v even.

Thanks
    What cpu cooler and thermal paste are you using?
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Scythe Infinity and arctic silver 5.

Thanks
    Sounds high for that setup, have you tried reseating the scythe with minimal as5?
    stupid betond belief.

Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4567891017273747 ... LastLast

Thread Information