Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21222324249505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: C2D Overclocking Guide for Beginners

Thanks

Re: C2D Overclocking Guide for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by daza View Post
    Nice little guide, currently (E6400 on quad GT) at 425x8 @ 1.32 load at 44C and idles around the 30C mark.
    Hi, First time poster, newbie to OCing.

How are you hitting that speed/temp? My hardware is in my sig!

I'm using a 6420 with Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. I set RAM 1:1 and upped FSB to 360x8 @ 1.35. This got me to 2.9Ghz without anything else. All other ram settings are on auto and voltages are untouched and running auto (I think). If I push to 372 it'll boot and crash. 380 won't boot at all.

So I decided to read up on it abit more. I manually set my RAM to 2.1v (it's OCZ Platinum PC2-6400Rev 2), this is what is recommended for this RAM (I can't post a link but under the reviews on newegg on page 2 or 3 it's the first post.) I increased vCore to 1.42v and FSB to 380MHz. Though I only ran Orthos for 1+1/2 hours (I know I need to fully test) but it appears to be stable enough. Uguru records temps as 27 idle and 44 maxed. Core Temp is 33 and 51 maxed. Which tool did you use?

As I'm new to this do you have any advice on getting this baby to 3.2 or more?

Cheers,
    Method

Thanks

Guys, Clunk's masterpiece of a guide has now been published on HEXUS.net - http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9808

If you've found it to be useful, and want to share it with the rest of the world, then pretty please can you Digg it? I'm sure you can spare the time, seeing how much quicker your systems are at doing things now
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Awesome Steve. Congrats Clunk, you're famous now

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

Great job, Clunk.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Clunk never mentioned the importance of a good case (well I haven't spotted it)...my small contribution is as follows:-

E4300@3ghz+AF7 cooler + P180 case fans on min+ using OCCT=temps of 63c
    E4300@ leisurely jaunt of 2.37ghz + stock cooler + crappy cheap case + using OCCT=65c

The stock cooler should be OK for overclocking the E4300 to 2.37 so it just leaves the case.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

Thanks

Hi all !! im just wondering which is best performance settings for my c2d e6420, ive got it on stock cooling running at 400*8 =3200mhz with my 667 ram running at 800 and now ive upped the volts on my ram i wana get more speed from my ram but i dont wana go any further with my cpu speed as its running at 50 degrees at load.So im wondering if i lower the cpu ratio to 7x and boost up the FSB will this be better in performance than having it at 400*8

Recently done orthos test and ran for 10 hours at 420*7 with low temps 45degrees

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Decided to have another go at clocking my cpu up.

At 410 fsb (so 2870mhz) if I run prime95 coretemp 0.95 records the cpu temp around 80*C :|

I guess the e6300 just wasn't meant to clock that fast. I'll be getting a g0 q6600 soon.

Using an artic cooling freezer 7 pro in a case with good airflow :-)

edit: I think there's something up with my cooler, going to re-seat the cooler tomorrow. Clocked it back down to 2.8 ~(when previously it ran through 3dmark06 fine) and the cpu temp is shooting straight away. It looks like the cooler isn't working, I'm confused!
    Last edited by Dreaming; 31-10-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Some fiddling with fans later, and I've got it to 39*C idle and 65*C full load (as per two prime95 instances running small ffts).

Sorted!

Now to get back to overclocking. How do you get the memory to run faster? Just more voltage? :/ (the only reason I want to do this is because it's 800mhz, so at 400fsb it's at it's rated mhz, and I reckon I could get the cpu up to 3ghz maybe - just the bloody ram holding me back)

Registered+
    Thanks

I've seen/read and been a part of many "Guides" to overclocking...
    This is a C/C- attempt. I am dismayed at how well it is received on this site.

You start off very well linking to better written more thorough explanations of terms. Which sets a strong basis that all overclockers need. And then when you begin the actual overclocking meat and potatoes you get very flipid and un-grounded. The way you fail to describe the interplay between FSB and RAM in a concise manner leads to an unending series of questions to which you usually respond its in the guide. You make vague references (at least initially) to what temperatures are acceptable...and you do the same with Voltages, when this is when documented and described on Intel's site.

This guide is supposed to be aimed at beginners and yet you are so loosey-goosey with the (FOUNDATIONS of OVERCLOCKING) that can turn a fun/exciting\fruitful experience into a sad experience due to pushing components to far!

(AN ASIDE: I grew up farming and watched as several of my relatives had some terrible "accidents" that were do to improper understanding or training on equipment.

You simply don't have the ability to describe it in a correct logical thorough way or you don't understand overclocking well enough to be guiding people. Things as simple as how you incorrectly describe applying Artic Silver 5 to C2Duo's...that hasn't been the application method since Pentium 4's. (that you stated). ....Core 2 duos should be applied in a [ l ] manner and quad cores should be applied in a [ + ] direction.

The saving grace is that generally those reading this will rightly not try and push the system too far.

Zak Edit: I fail to see how your farming life can assist here, but we do thank you for being so positive about our readership's intelligence level

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    Decided to have another go at clocking my cpu up.
    At 410 fsb (so 2870mhz) if I run prime95 coretemp 0.95 records the cpu temp around 80*C :|
    I guess the e6300 just wasn't meant to clock that fast. I'll be getting a g0 q6600 soon.
    Using an artic cooling freezer 7 pro in a case with good airflow :-)
    edit: I think there's something up with my cooler, going to re-seat the cooler tomorrow. Clocked it back down to 2.8 ~(when previously it ran through 3dmark06 fine) and the cpu temp is shooting straight away. It looks like the cooler isn't working, I'm confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    Some fiddling with fans later, and I've got it to 39*C idle and 65*C full load (as per two prime95 instances running small ffts).
    Sorted!
    Now to get back to overclocking. How do you get the memory to run faster? Just more voltage? :/ (the only reason I want to do this is because it's 800mhz, so at 400fsb it's at it's rated mhz, and I reckon I could get the cpu up to 3ghz maybe - just the bloody ram holding me back)
    You need to take your questions to a more advanced forum. Because the OP has put it into your head that the RAM should be focused on simultaneously while adjusting the FSB.

While your processor may be an acception, the E6300 has been clocked comfortably into the 3300 - 3500Mhz range quite often on better air cooled heatsinks. Concentrate on your FSB and clock speed first, to do this loosen your memories timings and either use a pre-selected starting DDR2-### speed as low as you can initially (depends on your mobo) so that as you raise the FSB you stay well under the RAM's stated rating. Essentially set the quest for fastest RAM timings at fastest RAM speed aside for now. Concentrate on your FSB/voltage...other voltage settings FIRST.

Once stable, then go back and tweak the Ram timings/speeds. You will be much better off, that way.
    P.S. use google, search artic silver (if that is your thermal compound) and view the application PDF's for your processor type to make sure you didn't just simply place a small dab in the center of the processor and then tighten the heatsink. This can result in overheating.

Thanks

I have a custom built Q6600 G0 based system on Asus P5B Deluxe with 4GB (ie. 4 x 1GB) GeIL PC6400C4 ULL RAM. I have it Oc'd to 3.25 (360 x 9) and the RAM currently set to 720 MHz on 2.1V (ie. the recommended setting for this RAM). This setup has been running stably for the past couple of months.

As the RAM is rated for 800MHz, with many people reporting successes OC'ing it to 900-950, I thought I'd try setting the RAM to 900. However, after doing this I got an error on boot saying it couldn't find ntoskrnl.exe. When I switched the RAM back to 720MHz, it booted fine.

1) Why would OC'ing my RAM cause it not to find a file which is there (is it due to RAM instability ?) ?

2) Could it be down to the RAM not having enough voltage, as I have four sticks ?

If so, is it OK to run the GeIL RAM at 2.2v or 2.3v ?

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by DA1745 View Post

You start off very well linking to better written more thorough explanations of terms. Which sets a strong basis that all overclockers need. And then when you begin the actual overclocking meat and potatoes you get very flipid and un-grounded. The way you fail to describe the interplay between FSB and RAM in a concise manner leads to an unending series of questions to which you usually respond its in the guide. You make vague references (at least initially) to what temperatures are acceptable...and you do the same with Voltages, when this is when documented and described on Intel's site.

This guide is supposed to be aimed at beginners and yet you are so loosey-goosey with the (FOUNDATIONS of OVERCLOCKING) that can turn a fun/exciting\fruitful experience into a sad experience due to pushing components to far!

(AN ASIDE: I grew up farming and watched as several of my relatives had some terrible "accidents" that were do to improper understanding or training on equipment. <snip>

You simply don't have the ability to describe it in a correct logical thorough way or you don't understand overclocking well enough to be guiding people.

The saving grace is that generally those reading this will rightly not try and push the system too far.
    *yawn* How many overclocking articles have you written? It's meant to be a beginners overclocking guide, not a signalling theory class, all but the more enthusiastic folk wouldn't be bothered reading a novel on the subject, it provides the information they need to get started.

Things as simple as how you incorrectly describe applying Artic Silver 5 to C2Duo's...that hasn't been the application method since Pentium 4's. (that you stated). ....Core 2 duos should be applied in a [ l ] manner and quad cores should be applied in a [ + ] direction.
    Yes, a textbook AS5 application method, in fact ripped right off the manual on their website. Yummy uneven TIM leaking out over the socket. The spread method takes more skill and patience, but it's ultimately more effective.

I've yet to establish whether you're serious or you're just trolling. Either way, it was a completely unhelpful and useless rant.
    Last edited by aidanjt; 01-11-2007 at 08:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

You need to take your questions to a more advanced forum. Because the OP has put it into your head that the RAM should be focused on simultaneously while adjusting the FSB.

While your processor may be an acception, the E6300 has been clocked comfortably into the 3300 - 3500Mhz range quite often on better air cooled heatsinks. Concentrate on your FSB and clock speed first, to do this loosen your memories timings and either use a pre-selected starting DDR2-### speed as low as you can initially (depends on your mobo) so that as you raise the FSB you stay well under the RAM's stated rating. Essentially set the quest for fastest RAM timings at fastest RAM speed aside for now. Concentrate on your FSB/voltage...other voltage settings FIRST.

Once stable, then go back and tweak the Ram timings/speeds. You will be much better off, that way.
    Did you read the OPs post at all?.. You've just said exactly the same thing he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestration View Post
    I have a custom built Q6600 G0 based system on Asus P5B Deluxe with 4GB (ie. 4 x 1GB) GeIL PC6400C4 ULL RAM. I have it Oc'd to 3.25 (360 x 9) and the RAM currently set to 720 MHz on 2.1V (ie. the recommended setting for this RAM). This setup has been running stably for the past couple of months.

As the RAM is rated for 800MHz, with many people reporting successes OC'ing it to 900-950, I thought I'd try setting the RAM to 900. However, after doing this I got an error on boot saying it couldn't find ntoskrnl.exe. When I switched the RAM back to 720MHz, it booted fine.

1) Why would OC'ing my RAM cause it not to find a file which is there (is it due to RAM instability ?) ?

2) Could it be down to the RAM not having enough voltage, as I have four sticks ?

If so, is it OK to run the GeIL RAM at 2.2v or 2.3v ?
    Apologies, I've re-read the guide again and see my questions are already answered.

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Guys, Clunk's masterpiece of a guide has now been published on HEXUS.net - HEXUS.net - Guide :: Intel Core 2 Duo basic overclocking guide for beginners : Page - 1/9

If you've found it to be useful, and want to share it with the rest of the world, then pretty please can you Digg it? I'm sure you can spare the time, seeing how much quicker your systems are at doing things now
    Can't digg but I've thumbed up on stumble upon

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

(AN ASIDE: I grew up farming and watched as several of my relatives had some terrible "accidents" that were do to improper understanding or training on equipment.

You simply don't have the ability to describe it in a correct logical thorough way or you don't understand overclocking well enough to be guiding people. Things as simple as how you incorrectly describe applying Artic Silver 5 to C2Duo's...that hasn't been the application method since Pentium 4's. (that you stated). ....Core 2 duos should be applied in a [ l ] manner and quad cores should be applied in a [ + ] direction.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for any emotional distress that my guide may have caused you.

When writing such guides, it is virtually impossible to know if there will be any neurotic individuals that might take something the wrong way, or even completely convince themselves that they have read something when they didn't.

I cant help wondering which part of this guide that you were reading that told you how to apply thermal paste incorrectly.

I would like to refer you to your statement..

Thanks for the grading, I'm always nervous that I won't pass, but with a couple of C grades, that is fantastic, thanks miss.

You start off very well linking to better written more thorough explanations of terms.
    Thanks.

Which sets a strong basis that all overclockers need.
    Is that a question?

And then when you begin the actual overclocking meat and potatoes you get very flipid and un-grounded.
    This is where I think you have been reading someone elses guide. At no point do I overclock any meat or potatoes. Flipid is a made up word, similar to hoofpipe, only hoofpipe is better.
    The way you fail to describe the interplay between FSB and RAM in a concise manner leads to an unending series of questions to which you usually respond its in the guide.
    Show me this unending series of posts, I can't see it.

You make vague references (at least initially) to what temperatures are acceptable..
    And tell me, what exactly is this magical temperature that we should all have, regardless of any other variables?

and you do the same with Voltages, when this is when documented and described on Intel's site.
    So, Intel tell you what voltage to use when overclocking, now do they?

Loosey-goosey? Name dropping now are we? Next you'll be mentioning how you are close personal showbiz friends with Turkey-Lurkey.

Yep, thats why I avoided using a combine harvester in my guide.

You simply don't have the ability to describe it in a correct logical thorough way or you don't understand overclocking well enough to be guiding people.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Things as simple as how you incorrectly describe applying Artic Silver 5 to C2Duo's...that hasn't been the application method since Pentium 4's. (that you stated). ....Core 2 duos should be applied in a [ l ] manner and quad cores should be applied in a [ + ] direction.
    Wasn't in this guide Goosey.

And just for the record, if you want to be precise about Arctic Silver application, I took this pic from the PDF file on the Arctic Silver website that you can download here.

As you can see from the pic, you were wrong about that as well

17. Received thanks from:

chuckskull (02-11-2007)

Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21222324249505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread Information