Thread: New Load Plate???

Thanks

New Load Plate???

Just went commando a week ago & started ocing in earnest, last few days. Have been concerned about my temps, so decided to re-check cpu mounting/pasting yesterday.

On removing heatsink was struck by the fact that the heatsink had paste on both sides but none across the centre zone. On checking out the mounting the load plate appeared slightly bent, so was higher at the opening end. Unclipped it & it is now straighter, repasted & reassembled but no difference in temps.

Only thing i can think's happened is i've overtightened the spring loaded screws on the thermalright ultra (somethinhg i thought that was prevented by having spring loaded screws. Is it possible to get a new load plate from anywhere, they look as if they are standard to 775 socket so not mobo dependent??

thanks

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    The 775 mechanism really bends the board. To see what I mean, next time you have the board out of the case, fit the stock intel cooler and look at the back of the board, there will be a rather large and unsightly ummm bulge

My P5B is bad, but by far the worst was the gigabyte DS3, that was terrible. Ive had to mod some special screws for fitting my waterblock because of it as well.

So dont worry, they are all like that

If you are still worried about the temps, just touch the heatsink, is it hot? no? then the sensor is telling porkies
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    If you can't see paste on the surface it just means they were properly mated when together. As you screw down the heatsink it'll squeeze out the excess paste, which is what has happened. Ideally you really just want a microscopically thin covering of paste to fill in the irregularities in the surface.

Thanks
    If you are still worried about the temps, just touch the heatsink, is it hot? no? then the sensor is telling porkies
    Lol!! with a monster like the ultra 120 it's hard to get your finger down there,

Your probably right about being paranoid about the temps. I did hear a sharp click though when tightening the screws on the cooler 1st time i mounted it. just seeing the kink/bend on the load plate made me wonder whether this was the result & that was causing an uneven/poor fit of the heatsink to cpu.

cheers

Thanks
    if the board is bending, it might go the same way as my old graphics card. I tightened up the waterblock too much and didnt realise the whole card was bent about 1cm over the length of the card, which broke the pcb traces so it never worked again. That is probably the clicking noise.

Thanks
    Well a success:-
    B4

With Thermalright ultra 120

After

Zalman CNPS9500-AT bought today from Aria Sales Counter.

Now a 19C drop is pretty good, my temps are now back to what i've seen around.
    Haven't got a clue what the issue has been with the Ulttra 120. Have remounted it numberous time checked everything with no improvement. Any1 ever rma'd a cooler

The new temps are pretty much where my opteron 148 was.

Have also got rid of the "no cpu fan detected" nag all is well.
    Last edited by Supershanks; 22-02-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

2 months Later the 2nd leg.

Finally got round to gibing the ultra in the last post an rma. Got it from ocuk who did well with it:-
    posted Tuesday
    Wed am : confirmed rma
    Wed pm : confirmed despatch only fly in the ointment was that despatch advice email stated B-Grade stock
    Thu lunch : delivered opened to find scruffy box & few shipping labels etc., but it contained a pristine Ultra.

Thu PM spent sat around Scan with Clunk waitiing 4 a pallet to be shifted to enable his q-collect order to be completed.

After a half cocked attemp last night to change it, I switched the ultra in this am:-

So the rematch:-

Zalman 9500 AT

Thermalright Ultra 120

So Thermalright win 2nd leg by around 5C order restored in the universe. Now what extra fsb can i get with 5C Mmmmmmwwwwwwwhhhhh
    Guess the lesson here is if it ain't right don't cuss it rma it even if it seems unlikely. All i can think of is that the heatpipes were fubarred.
    Last edited by Supershanks; 30-03-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks
    [IMG]Now what extra fsb can i get with 5C Mmmmmmwwwwwwwhhhhh[/IMG]

Zalman 9500 AT 9x384 vcore 1.475v

Ultra 9x389=3500 vcore 1.5125v

Thread Information