Thread: The noise!

Thanks

Angry The noise!

My computer was built for me by a friend a few months back, and is perfect accept for the fact that it is so noisy!

The case was admittedly cheap, and someone has suggested to me that a better case may quieten down the computer when in use.

However, I dont want to buy a new, dearer case when there is no guarantees that the noise will quieten down, or if it does, then I would like it to be noticably quieter.

I use my computer instead of my main stereo, but I must have the music on at a fairly high volume for it to drown out the sound of the computer.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks

Thanks
    Best plan is to check what the fans are rated at so that you can start to see the CFM (cubic feet per minute volume of air a fan shifts) and its' dB(a) (the noise it generates).

Fans at 20dB are basically silent. 10dB is an increase of double the amplitude i believe.

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Have you tried running it without the case and trying to determine if it's an individual fan that's problematic.

You might be able to sort it by replacing the appropriate fan.

Thanks
    You need to go here and start reading m8. http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Registered+
    Thanks
    Originally posted by DaftpuNk
    Best plan is to check what the fans are rated at so that you can start to see the CFM (cubic feet per minute volume of air a fan shifts) and its' dB(a) (the noise it generates).

Fans at 20dB are basically silent. 10dB is an increase of double the amplitude i believe.
    The amplitude doubles every 3db.

Pentium 4 2.8c / 1024mb DDR (PC3200) / Radeon 9800 Pro / Terratec DMX 6Fire LT / Sparkle 400W / Hitachi 17" TFT
    3Dmark2001 3Dmark2003

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Is there an easy way to silence a PSU? Ive got an antec 400W one, but its still fairly noisy (I got it second hand, I assume its quite old, but is still very stable so I want to keep it.)

Its the only vaguely noisy thing left, since I bought a fan controller for my 7 case fans, and a thermaltake HSF, but since its still making lots of noise it seems to be making the rest of the noise reduction a little pointless!

Thanks
    Originally posted by ab1385
    Is there an easy way to silence a PSU? Ive got an antec 400W one, but its still fairly noisy (I got it second hand, I assume its quite old, but is still very stable so I want to keep it.)

Its the only vaguely noisy thing left, since I bought a fan controller for my 7 case fans, and a thermaltake HSF, but since its still making lots of noise it seems to be making the rest of the noise reduction a little pointless!
    could just replace the fans with quieter fans...gotta be careful fiddling about inside a PSU though, and some PSUs need the airflow from noisy fans so they don't overheat...

Thanks
    Just buy an antec sonata case. Absolutely silent, and comes with a Antec 380 watt ps.

No-Name - The Name That You Can Trust

Thread Information