Thread: Help with Asus P5B-E new system

Registered+
    Thanks

Help with Asus P5B-E new system

Also posted on Scan Forum.

Ok guys looks like I need some help here!!

I have built many systems in the past & had no Issues but this is baffling me.

I have just bought from Scan

Asus P5B-E Mainboard
    E6600 Core 2 Duo
    + many other bits to create a new system.

As Scan don't stock these or I already had them.

PSU is Seasonic S12 600w (had this a few months)

Freezer 7 Pro cooler

I got from elsewhere a ATI X1900GT

I got my memory from Crucial which Ihave just RMA'ed & waiting for new to arrive.

My problem is I am unable to even get into the Bios the system boots up & power stays on, the green light stays on the monitor as though it is recieving a signal yet no image is shown apart from at times I see the "JMicron searching for drives" text. I first thought this was a faulty mobo as no matter what I did swapping from one stick of memory to the other then trying different slots nothing altered & I found it strange that the cover over the socket had Foxcon printed on it not Asus which led me to believe it had been returned previosly, So as I was going over near Scan I called in with the Mobo & Chip for them to test, the guy put a stick of Corsair ram in & one of his CPU & low and behold it burst into life, we then tried my CPU with the same result it burst into life, so leaving the chip installed on the board I brought it home rebuilt the system but yet again the same as before absolutely nothing, I have now sent the ram back & waiting some new stuff arriving even though they insist they have supplied many sets of ram for this board with no problems, but I have been doing some reserch & have found on some forums that some people have been having issues with ATI & some revisions of the bios on this board. So I have decided to post on here & see if anyone has had or know of any issues like mine that they have resolved.

I have tried it out of the case with only CPU, Memory, Video Card Installed with just the same results.

So as you can guess I just want to get this up and running.

I would be grateful for any input that may help

Cheers

Katgra

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sounds like the Seasonic S12 + P5B issue. You either need a revision of the S12 that works with Asus boards or a different board.

It could also be a faulty motherboard.

I would try a different psu first if you can. Even something cheap, just to see if it fires up, that way you can avoid the £30 + vat fee that scan will charge you if the board is ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks Clunk

But I would be surprised if it is the Seasonic as they are very well regarded unit & as I said in my post when I took the board back to Scan they tested it in front of me & it booted first time without any problems.

Thanks for the input though.

Thanks
    They booted it with your psu and your motherboard, or did they use their own psu?
    stupid betond belief.

Registered+
    Thanks
    They used their own PSU, But I have to thank you yet again it seems the PSU is the problem I have now tried some different Ram (OCZ) & fitted an old PCI video card I had lying around with the same results so the only thing left is the Seasonic PSU. I am really not happy about this as it is only a few months old & cost just short of £100, I thought I was buying quality, now its gonna cause me more probs RMA'ing it. I will have to look into the cheapest way to return it, even then I don't know how they will test it because it was running my old system ok.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by katgra View Post
    They used their own PSU.
    Its not that the psu is necessarily faulty, it could just be the Asus incompatibility thing happening. Either way, you need a different psu or mother board
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Hi,

I built a P5B-E supplied from Scan a few weeks ago and had a similar, if not the same, problem.

I spent some time looking at the Asus forums and in the end concluded that it was an issue with the Bios version.

The Bios supplied on my board (0904??? or something like that) seems to be really bad and has a known issue which only seems to affect systems with ATI graphics cards. It manifests itself in booting ok and then after the Jmicron screen just showing a black screen and not being able to get into the bios.

The solution is to upgrade the Bios.

When the machine first starts there is a key combination (I'll try and find what it is and post later) that takes you into a Bios upgrade screen which then searches CD/FD/USB for a new Bios. So if you download the latest Bios, put it on floppy and startup into the bios upgrade scereen then it will flash the bios to the latest version.

After I did this the system booted straight away and I have had no further problems.

Have a look at the Asus forum for the P5B-E motherboard and on the 10th(ish) page there are a lot of other people who had similar probelms and the solution as defined above.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    oh I meant to say that I am also using a Seasonic S12 PSU, although only 430W.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Just to bring everyone up to date, I have now tried 3 different types of memory, 2 different power supplies, 2 graphics cards one ATI the other a PCI Cirrus logic & I am still not able to get into the bios, I am at my wits end with this Besides it has now cost me an extra £60 for a new PSU that it seems I didn't need.

Still I will look into this bios issue But I do need that Key sequence to get to the flashing utility.

Katgra

Thanks
    To upgrade the Bios you need to:
    1) Download the latest Bios onto Floppy, CD or USB.
    2) Rename the Bios file to P5BE.ROM.
    3) powerup the machine and almost immediately press either DEL+Page Down or CTRL-ALT+DEL+Page Down (can't remember which it was).

The PC will enter the CrashFree Bios upgrade utility and should read the new BIOS and start flashing.

This worked for me. I believe an alternative approach to confirm this is the problem is to try a different graphics card like a really really old PCI card. This seems to have worked for some people but looks like not for you.

Registered+
    Thanks
    cheers Hedgie.

I found the CTRL+Alt+Del+Pgdwn but it didn't work, had to drive over to Scan they had not heard of this issue but I persuaded them to try a ATI card & hey presto it did what it had been doing for me. They flashed the Bios for me & I will have to try it later, fingers crossed all will be well. the only thing is has cost me about £30 cash in fuel running around etc.

Well lets just hope things go well now, I will keep you posted.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hedgie you were right my friend, But I had no success at flashing the board myself, I had to take it to Scan for them to do, & surprisingly they had no idea of this issue & were amazed when I asked them to flash the bios as it was incompatable with ATI, but we tried it there & sure enough the same results until the bios was flashed then all was good.

Thanks for the Input I look forward to getting this machine up and running properly.

Katgra

Thanks
    Glad to be of help. This issue must affect a lot of people buying this board. Asus don't seem mention it on their site and the issue is buried in their forum way down in the old pages. Hopefully, the affected Bios version will go out of circulation soon. I'm finding the board to be quite good now so its a shame it started badly.

Good luck with getting the machine finished.

Hedgie.

Thread Information