Thread: Installing a PCI Card Upside Down

MurphmanL

Question Installing a PCI Card Upside Down

I have just bought a new soundcard for my pc that installs into a PCI slot... however i have already a card installed so i wish to remove it. Earlier i tried doing so but in vein had to refit the case and boot the pc with no changes... however i have just watched a guidance video on how to install a PCI card.. with the pc UPSIDE DOWN! I would be more than happy to do this, with assurance to the rumour...
    "When Hard Disks are turned upside down, they wipe themselves and break" is this true?

Can i safely install a piece of hardware with the pc upside down? Because i cannot surely with it right side up as i cannot access the screws.. please reply ASAP.
    I know what to do from there on, i just need to remove my current card. If u are wondering where i saw the video (its also in writing, but the video is only 2 mins and shows clearly what i saw)check here:
    PCI Card

and watch the video (it can take a while to load) if this operation is safe, please give me the heads up so i can install this new audio device. Thanks.
    P.S how do i remove the bottom of my pc? I persume there are screws?
    Last edited by MurphmanL; 29-12-2003 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    lol at the "When Hard Disks are turned upside down, they wipe themselves and break"

To be honest, you can turn your pc any which way, as long as it is turned off.

MurphmanL
    So I am safe to install the PCI card upside down without fear of damaging other components?

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    switch your pc off!!! I know it seems obvious to some people, but believe it or not... some people try to upgrade there PC's while its still switched on *whistles... wasnt me*

Unplug all the cables from the back of the PC, Power cable, monitor cable, mouse, keyboard, etc....

Then you can start working on your base unit. Normally these are made up from 4 parts. A chassis, a top cover and 2 side covers. Sometimes the side covers are joined together with a top cover.

To access the "technical bits inside" your pc remove the side covers. Usually 2-3 screws at the rear of the PC.

Once ya inside.... you can start removing the old PCI card and slot in your new soundcard. You are probably best off with having the PC case sitting on a desk so you can view it better. I usually do this with it sitting on my knees. It doesnt matter which way the PC is, but i would always recommend that when you power your PC back on, make sure it is sitting the correct way otherwise you can risk damaging the hard disk.

By the way..... It's nonsense about turning it upside and wiping information.

Good Luck

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

iMc
    Thanks
    yeh sure, i mean i take my hard drive out and lay it down upside down etc, ive even used tossed around HDDs before that are covered it spilt drink etc and still worked!! they more hardy than some people say.
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Parts are only fragile when you don't want them to be... that's what I've noticed throughout my time working with equipment. Crafty little beggars.

Thanks
    ive shoved my rig into the boot of my car on its side, and driven 600 miles, 60 of which through bumpy country roads.

Not had a problem yet

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    oh dear... imo people with that kinda level of knowledge shouldnt really be fiddling about inside a PC, but i guess you've got to start somewhere... anyhow read what XTR said and follow his instructions and you shouldnt run into any problems... just make sure you earth yourself before touching any components (this can be done buy touching the metal part of the case when it is still plugged into the mains (as the case is earthed ) and try to hold pci cards by the metal backing plate rathe than the silicon itself.

mark

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    pfffffffffff, thats not how us pro`s do it, just grab the card, pull it as hard as possible and out it comes, then just bang ya new one straight in, no bothaaaaaaaaaa.

hard disks will never wipe themselves ever so dont worry about that, would also have to agree with theo, hardware tends to take a lot of punishment right up until the point where you actually need it and that is when it will break. has happened to me on more than a few occasions (fortunately not usually my kit )
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks
    PC components are designed to work in any position (with few exceptions). Having a HDD or a PCI card upside down will not cause any problems. Same goes for fans, heatsinks blah blah blah

Exception - CD-ROM - regular cd-rom will not work upside down or sideways, but caddy drives will.

Obvious peripherals that won't work upside down: keyboard, printer, mouse [unless it's a trackball].

Sorry for the sarcasm
    P4 1.8A @ 2.4 GHz With TT Volcano 7+|Epox 4BDA+|1 Gig Samsung 2100 DDR @ 2700 Speed|Gainward GeForce PowerPack! Ultra/650-8X XP “Golden Sample” |80Gb 7200 RPM WD + 15Gb 7200 RPM WD|SBLive + ALtec Lansig 4.1 Speakers|Samsung SyncMaster 955DF Monitor|Chieftec Full Tower Server Case with 2x120 MM Side Fans + 2x80 MM Front + 2x 80 MM Back Fans|Running WinXP Pro Corp Edition SP1|TDK VeloCD 48x CD Burner

Thanks
    We're fast approaching Jan 1st and not April 1st

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Dave was sent a hard drive in an empty fed-ex box (about the same size as a cereal box - no foam or other packaging) from canada, and it survived.

I doubt turning the pc upside down will do it any harm

Mind that bus, what bus? Splat!
    Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500+
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB
    rofl at the wierdest one yet, never heard that before
    i must admit i dont tend to earth my self when i mess around with my pc, never used an anti-static band thing before, never had any problems, its more what you touch, or dont

as some one said, hold the metal pci back plate, and if needed the PCB on the outside of the card, not the stuff on the card

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    all very good advice, not that I follow it, I manhandle all my cards and components and pay no attention to static, never had any problems related to this kind of stuff yet.

HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks
    Yeah - what others said ...

If you are worried about static (and it does cause long term problems ... sortens life of things etc.) just leave the mains plug into your PC and have it switched off at the mains, this keeps it grounded!

Just wanna check - your installing/uninstalling a PCI card from a SUNMic. PC right? If so - use that tutorial as that is a different form factor to how most of us have our PC!

If you've just googled for 'installing a PCI card' or something and you have a normal PC then its different to that, IE you don't need to turn the PC upside down!

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Registered+
    Thanks
    Check out http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_kortbyte1.php for more expert advice.
    All effort is useless

Thread Information