Thread: PC Wont Boot

Thanks

PC Wont Boot

Ok so i woke up today went to switch on my PC and nothing, PC suddenly doesnt boot after being fine for the last 5 months since i put it together. Open it up to check to see that the mobo lights were not on and niether was the power supplies. My guess is it seems it is the PSU thats gone which surprises me as its a Silverstone ST75ZF which was raved about its Stability. I disconnected it from the rest of the pc and took it out the case to test it serperatly and the back LED still does not light up(which it would right if it was working? even though it was not connected to the mobo).

The problem i have is that i cannot test any of the other components to see if they are fully working and just wondering if the PSU going out could have affected any of the other components? Seeing as there was no short circuit and surge of power or anything like that.

Thanks
    One thing to check is the plug socket at the wall. Plug in something the you know works (bedside lamp, etc.). If it works, then check the power lead fuse.

It's unlikely that if the psu did fail in the manner you say (overnight, having worked ok last time used/turned off), that it would damage any other components. Possable, but unlikely.

Thanks
    How did you test your psu?

Thanks
    I use a Powersurge Power socket adaptor(cost a ****load) and all other stuff connected to that still work and have not faults or issues, ive even tried a couple of different power cords and different sockets.

I tested the psu by itself to see if the back LED would come on and nothing. Im pretty sure the LED would come on if the PSU was fine but i cant be 100% sure about that. I havent got another compatible mobo to test the PSU with. looking at this image http://www.***********.net/image.php?id=862 it seems the led should come on without being connected to a mobo.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
    How did you test your psu?
    Good point! Just plugging the psu into the wall socket and flicking the switch won't do anything, as it has to be connected to the mobo to complete the cicuit.

Disclaimer: Attempt the following at your own risk

The following web shows you how to test your psu without it connected to a mobo. http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

When you have followed the above instructions, try connecting something like a floppy drive (or other useless/small component), if the psu is ok then lights/motors will work, if not, you know your psu is most likely dead.

Hope this helps.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Try using another kettle lead to the PSU, could just be a blown fuse, normally when there's a supply of energy to the PSU hitting the case power button will start the PSU and motherboard fans unless the motherboard went nuclear or the PSU is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyT View Post
    Good point! Just plugging the psu into the wall socket and flicking the switch won't do anything, as it has to be connected to the mobo to complete the cicuit.

Disclaimer: Attempt the following at your own risk

The following web shows you how to test your psu without it connected to a mobo. http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

When you have followed the above instructions, try connecting something like a floppy drive (or other useless/small component), if the psu is ok then lights/motors will work, if not, you know your psu is most likely dead.

Hope this helps.
    ++

This is a good technique for ruling out motherboard problems, watercooling users do this to fill their loop and clear air bubbles.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    I thought testing the PSU by itself may not work, unfortunetly i dont have any wire strips laying around to test the method VinnyT pointed out. Looks like ill have to send the PSU, Mobo and CPU back to scan to test for me.

Cheers for the help guys!

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    I used a paperclip once before *shrug* Remember you can use any black pin to short the green pin, it's only an interface to the PSUs switch on mechanism.

Thanks
    Well i tried it with a little speaker wire and attached the green to the black and no light came on the PSU, seems like the PSU has gone and will need to be RMA'd i just hope i dont get a replacement and find out other components have gone to.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Yeah, that would be major suckage.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyT View Post
    There is this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=391645

Only costs about a tenner and looks like a handy gadget

Rgrds

Peter

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    Unless there is black marking around the ATX socket on the mobo, blown capacitors on the motherboard, or the PSU went up in sparks and a loud noise, I would expect the rest of your hardware to be fine.

Its extremely rare for a PSU to take other components out, especially a decent brand.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    Well ive got the new PSU and alls well, PSU was dead. It still boggles my mind as to what could have caused it to die. Nothings been overclocked and the PSU has plenty of power for the components I have. Just worried it might happen again.

Only thing comes to mind is that I have vista and when I switched it off I think it just went into sleep mode and maybe that lead to something but its a mystery to me.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Maybe something like this happened?
    James E. Petts

Thanks
    Tech support accross the country are now adding a new item to their callout charges

Thread Information