Thread: Intel NAS SS4000-E

Registered+
    Thanks

Intel NAS SS4000-E

I was looking around for a NAS box with RAID 1 for a friend who runs a small business. He doesn't store much data but he needs reliable access, hence the RAID 1. It needs to be small & easy to use (which is why I'm looking at an appliance rather than building a Linux based system with RAID).

I have seen a lot of recommendations for Infrant ReadyNAS (eg Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ 256MB - 500GB £ 489 at UlitmateStorage.com).

There is also the Intel SS4000-E (eg http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=3883 and other places) at £300 + VAT and the price of a couple of drives. So there's not a lot in it in terms of price.

I can't find any reference to the Intel box on any of the forums here. Has anyone any views/experience of it?

Scan has http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=423576, which is more expensive (at £520 + VAT & Drives) or some LaCie items and they haven't had a good press.

Price here is a consideration but not the *ultimate* factor, ease of use, reliability and support are important.

Any input would be appreciated.

Rgrds

Peter

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    If he doesn't store much then one of the netgear NAS boxes are cheap enough and will perform RAID1 no problem. It really depends on what he needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    If he doesn't store much then one of the netgear NAS boxes are cheap enough and will perform RAID1 no problem. It really depends on what he needs.
    Thanks for the response, I've had a look round at comments on the SC101 and it has had poor feedback. HAs it got any better? Is the new SATA version better, do you know?

Rgrds

Peter

Thanks

Another alternative DLink DNS-323

I have the Dlink DNS-323 for home use which is a step up from the Netgear, but not as expensive as the more professionally orientated ReadyNAS.

I would use the Dlink in my professional environment (I manage a software development team) although it is clearly physically designed to be a desktop rather than server room product.

Here are some relevant links:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/29671/75/

The bundled backup software would be my only gripe, but as you can very easily map a network drive to the device, any solution (Acronis / Windows backup etc) will work.

Martin

Thanks
    lol my server is an antec 900 with 7.5tb in raid 0+1 with a raid card it is like a heater though most of the hdd's are around 50C I have seen one of them go upto 56C at on time but thats the max temp ive seen there is a noticeable temperature difference when you walk in the door in the morning as all the windows are closed and door is locked it s like walking off a plan into a tropical country lol

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin.evans View Post
    I have the Dlink DNS-323 for home use which is a step up from the Netgear, but not as expensive as the more professionally orientated ReadyNAS.

Martin
    Thanks for the suggestion - the more I look into it the more of these devices there seem to be. All seem to have mixed feedback, though.

I guess I'll have to try one of the lower end ones an see how I get on.

Have you/anyone tried to rebuild a drive with the RAID facility after failure?

Rgrds

Peter

Thanks

Not yet...

I think this is somewhat a work in progress with DLink! The following post suggest that it has improved in the latest firmware:

http://forum.dsmg600.info/t402-Firmware-103-Posted.html

Regards,
    Martin

Thread Information