Thread: My new shuttle spec is it ok?

Thanks

My new shuttle spec is it ok?

Hi Everyone,
    First post! I am about to enter the world of a SFF pc so I thought id post to see if you guys think its an ok spec out right now. Ok here we go:

Shuttle SD37P2

CPU Intel Core 2 2.4ghz E6600

500GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16MB cache Hard Disk Drive

Corsair 2024MB TwinX XMS2 6400 DDR2 Memory Kit (2 x 1024MB

Sony AW-G170AB2 Dual Layer Black 18x DVD +/-RW 12X RAM oem

So I guess my first question is the SD37P2 states it needs 667 PC5300 DDR2 memory is it ok to put the PC6400 800 memory in above?

Also I can get the OCZ special ops memory (667 tho) for about the same price which is better? The above Corsair or the OCZ?

Also this pc will probably be a media centre hooked up to my tv.. I was going to go with the Sapphire x1950 pro 512 video card but I was thinking it could be too loud? Should I go with say Asus 7600GS SILENT 512MB DDR2 PCI-E instead? Whats people's feeling on ATI vs Nvidia? Ive heard Nvidia's vista drivers are cr4p thats why I was leaning towards the x1950...

Thanks alot for any feedback guys! I will post pics of the shuttle once I decide on these last things!!

ESXMAN.

Thanks
    Hey Esxman, welcome to the forums.

Seems like a very nice setup you're building there - I myself have built a system almost identicle to that (except I opted to go for the £100 cheaper SD32G5 instead).

It's fine to put faster memory into your PC, all that will happen is that it will run at the maximum speed your sytem works with. In this case it will be at 667. Although it runs slower, its timings are usually better.

Buying faster memory than your motherboard supports is a great way to help overclocking - it will give you a little bit more headroom and ensures your ram will work at the faster speeds.

I myselft opted for the x1950 pro due to the very positive reviews its had, the WHQL certified vista drivers and the fact that its single slot.

Nvidia drivers I think are still beta but I've heard mixed opinions for both ATI and Nvidia when using vista.

The silent 7600 will obvioulsy be a quieter option. Apparently the x1950 pro isnt very loud though as it has a temperature controlled fan.

Tim
    Last edited by Timmy!!!; 07-04-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable
    I would stick with the Corsair ram, rather than the Special Ops stuff..
    Check the faster Corsair is supported though.

I myself have got the x1950pro i cannot fault it.

Good luck with the build.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey View Post
    I would stick with the Corsair ram, rather than the Special Ops stuff..
    Check the faster Corsair is supported though.

I myself have got the x1950pro i cannot fault it.

Good luck with the build.
    Out of interest how loud is the fan on your x1950 pro? I'm not bothered how loud it is when playing games, just normal 2d use.

Tim

Thanks
    • timtim86's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Shuttle
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 5000+
      • Memory:
      • 6GB OCZ Gold 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 250GB Seagates, 1 x 750GB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GS 384MB
      • PSU:
      • Shuttle 400W
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SN27P2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2007WFP
    That setup seems very good...just wanted to add that I think there has been a bios update for the SD37P2 that allows it to run 6400 RAM.

Thanks

Thumbs up

hey guys thanks for the feedback my rig arrived on saturday so its all built running 32bit Vista Ultimate and its working great!

One thing though is it wont power on if its running off an extention power board I need to plug it straight into the wall.. Plus they only gave me Europe power plugs and not a UK one!! Weird hey... I tried a UK power plug I had lying around here from a server and it wouldnt power on at all. Scared the cr4p out of me I thought I did something wrong!

Thanks for the heads up about the BIOS update that would be awesome seeing I ended up getting the 6400 Corsair!

I havent even noticed the fan on my x1950 yet although I havnt fired a game up yet...

I will get some pics of my setup and post them in the photo section this week...

Thanks
    Glad your system is working well.

I've got my x1950 pro, and although most people would probably be fine with its fan noise level, I definately wasn't!

When in 2D mode the fan spins at 40% but is still by far the loudest component in my system.

Using ATITool it's possible to change the fan speed to whatever you want it to be - I have set it to 20% when its under 50 degrees and now I've got a nice quiet pc

Thanks
    get the G-skill value if you overclock the hz they are far superior to the corsair xms2!!!

Matt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Esxman View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    First post! I am about to enter the world of a SFF pc so I thought id post to see if you guys think its an ok spec out right now. Ok here we go:

Shuttle SD37P2

CPU Intel Core 2 2.4ghz E6600

500GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16MB cache Hard Disk Drive

Corsair 2024MB TwinX XMS2 6400 DDR2 Memory Kit (2 x 1024MB

Sony AW-G170AB2 Dual Layer Black 18x DVD +/-RW 12X RAM oem

So I guess my first question is the SD37P2 states it needs 667 PC5300 DDR2 memory is it ok to put the PC6400 800 memory in above?

Also I can get the OCZ special ops memory (667 tho) for about the same price which is better? The above Corsair or the OCZ?

Also this pc will probably be a media centre hooked up to my tv.. I was going to go with the Sapphire x1950 pro 512 video card but I was thinking it could be too loud? Should I go with say Asus 7600GS SILENT 512MB DDR2 PCI-E instead? Whats people's feeling on ATI vs Nvidia? Ive heard Nvidia's vista drivers are cr4p thats why I was leaning towards the x1950...

Thanks alot for any feedback guys! I will post pics of the shuttle once I decide on these last things!!

ESXMAN.
    System look great! But when you buy a new pc think of a bios-update.. Always good!

Thread Information