• Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    I've got to say, I did consider a 36g 15k SCSI Drive for my next build, but it is likely that my next build will be an XBox 360, as my Desktop & Laptop are more than suited to all my non gaming needs.

Like TooNice said, it really is a cost issue. If it was no holds barred cost is no issue, then it would perhaps be my recommendation, but I still think you'd be better off with one larger drive.

That said, if you can find a controller, and you can afford to get a second storage drive, then for £45, you can't really argue.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1060
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    SCSI, fast as they are (though I would not go as far as Zak's description - no disrespect ), *will* lose their edge against newer SATA drive in time (especially for desktop applications).
    none taken.

In terms of booting games up, SCSI is still faster than almost all SATA drives. Raptor is, in my experience, similar, but not faster.

I also have never had a SCSI drive die and I got al mine second hand....and they all lived for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Again thank you all for your views on this, I have noted that the cheetah I have purchased has 2g/s fibre channel interface and excuse my ignorance again wonder if this makes any significant difference(did notice the fibre channel card on ebay was £50..too expensive). I will in the longer term require more storage but do hope in the shorter term this helps me with Medieval totalwar 2 etc. with regards to playability in gaming.
    I currently have an 80gb maxtor IDE which is about 60gig full.Iuse it also for photography occasonal video editing and film/music downloads etc.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    One the biggest reasons that SCSI has survived so long is simply due to the features that are on offer. Although the drives are effectively connected in serial with each rather like the good old IDE each SCSI drive comes with a lot more intelligence built in on the drive. The drive and controller also supports features like disconnect which means that the drive can disconnect itself from the SCSI bus if a task it is performing is likely to take a long time, this means that you can still access other drives in the daisy chain without problems.

SCSI originally only supported 8 devices so including the SCSI card you can connect 7 other devices. You can or at least you could by SCSI CD-ROMs.

Zak, the signal doesn't need to "bounce back", in fact it mustn't "bounce back" as this would mean that no other device can talk while there's activity on the SCSI bus, this is why there SCSI requires a terminator to make sure that when the signal reaches the terminator there's no echo back.

Did I find SCSI disks fast, hell yes, I've never owned a Raptor so can't comment on that front, but even going through the PCI bus my drives were quick. You'd notice this most say when copying files around, also the Windows install goes through a lot quicker.

As I said I got rid of my drives cause I needed more space and SATA fullfilled that requirement, I still have my 29160 controller so if I come by a cheap SCSI disk I may well go back.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    SATA is basically a cheapskates SCSI interface anyway, except minus most of the best bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    One the biggest reasons that SCSI has survived so long is simply due to the features that are on offer. Although the drives are effectively connected in serial with each rather like the good old IDE each SCSI drive comes with a lot more intelligence built in on the drive. The drive and controller also supports features like disconnect which means that the drive can disconnect itself from the SCSI bus if a task it is performing is likely to take a long time, this means that you can still access other drives in the daisy chain without problems.
    Actually IDE communicates to devices in parallel, that's why the interface has been renamed to PATA.

SCSI originally only supported 8 devices so including the SCSI card you can connect 7 other devices. You can or at least you could by SCSI CD-ROMs.
    SCSI Optical drives are great, it's a shame they're becoming a rareity these days, drive manufacturers don't seem to be interested in the older, wiser, and more technically correct bus.

Did I find SCSI disks fast, hell yes, I've never owned a Raptor so can't comment on that front, but even going through the PCI bus my drives were quick. You'd notice this most say when copying files around, also the Windows install goes through a lot quicker.

As I said I got rid of my drives cause I needed more space and SATA fullfilled that requirement, I still have my 29160 controller so if I come by a cheap SCSI disk I may well go back.
    My experiences of installation of Windows on a SCSI controller has been no more trickier than a SATA RAID controller. Pop the floppy in, hit F6 when WINPE prompts, select correct driver, hit enter, carry on as normal. *shrug*
    I hate floppy drives with a passion, but I can attach one to my machine for emergancy use, I'd slip stream the drivers into a Master install disk normally.

I have a pair of WD Raptors, sure, they're fast, even in RAID0 the CPU usage is almost negligable. It's a shame none of the modern SATA controllers support TCQ.

SCSI is really decades ahead of SATA, and it came decades before it, and it's predicessor PATA/IDE, the only reason ATA exists is because it's cheaper to offload the work to the CPU and it looked nicer to the OEM profit margins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    SCSI vrs SATA

Relibability is a hudge thing for me, thats why I run on 15k SCSI drives via RAID-5

Performance is blistering, none of the drives has ever failed (seagate scsi) but it makes a wee bit of volume.

Raptors have died on me

Never going back too WD again.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thread Information