Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x2GB on a P5B Deluxe?

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post
    you missed out 8gb^

well won't 8gb be good for servers or virtual thingys (don't really know about the topic)
    virtualization, VMWare workstation, virtualbox, microsoft pc.
    hell if you can buy 8gb then its worth it, as long as it isnt too pricey.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Thanks for your concern folks, but I assure you I'll be able to use all those GBs. :-) How about a whopping huge ramdisk to house the swap file and tmp folders for blistering fast access and writes? Or how about loading the games you play completely into ram and enjoy 1 second load times and no lag related to disk caching? The possibilities are endless I tell ya!
    I'm not convinced that a RAM disk for your swap files AND temp files is going to work as intended - can you actually set up your swap file on a RAM disk, and what happens if your temp files run out of space? And how do you go about loading those games into RAM? XP's RAM disk driver has bugs; that I know.

Thanks
    you can buy adapters to turn ddr2 sticks of ram into a single hdd it acts as a ssd (solid state disk)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
    you can buy adapters to turn ddr2 sticks of ram into a single hdd it acts as a ssd (solid state disk)
    but an 8GB hdd isn't really much use for a normal person, they wouldn't do enough work on the machine for the speed increase to be worth the money.

Thanks
    I would use it for windows so its a one second boot time

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
    Enlighten me if you know this as a fact. I only know of the i-RAM, but that only takes DDR RAM (up to 4GB I think). And it's performance is not as great, given that it is limited by the SATA 1 interface.

The i-RAM's successor was announced a while ago, but I am not aware of it being released. I think it's meant to take up to 8GB of DDR2, not that the type of RAM matters (except for the cost, which DDR2 shines at the moment) since it is once again restricted by the SATA-2 interface (but up to 300MB this time). Again, it's not out yet, but if you know of alternatives, then do tell.
    Last edited by TooNice; 20-05-2007 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Enlighten me if you know this as a fact. I only know of the i-RAM, but that only takes DDR RAM (up to 4GB I think). And it's performance is not as great, given that it is limited by the SATA 1 interface.

The i-RAM's successor was announced a while ago, but I am not aware of it being released. I think it's meant to take up to 8GB of DDR2, not that the type of RAM matters (except for the cost, which DDR2 shines at the moment) since it is once again restricted by the SATA-2 interface (but up to 300MB this time). Again, it's not out yet, but if you know of alternatives, then do tell.
    Its not limited by the sata1 interface that afterall would lead to 1.5gb/sec transfer speed which is obviously a stupid amount of speed in theory ssd would be able to reach this speed but it will be good few years before we do...... there is the I-ram on scan which is ddr and I saw on some american forum a similar product by a different company which used ddr2 these adapters are rare though......... I was going to use a ssd for my htpc but apparently they slow down with age and degrade after awhile is this true???

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7820X @ 4.8GHz (delid)
      • Memory:
      • 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 @ 3600 CL15
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 256GB, 850 EVO 1TBx2, 850 EVO 250GB, 840 512GB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB, 8x8TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 1080 Ti RoG Strix
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorsson View Post
    I'm not convinced that a RAM disk for your swap files AND temp files is going to work as intended - can you actually set up your swap file on a RAM disk, and what happens if your temp files run out of space? And how do you go about loading those games into RAM? XP's RAM disk driver has bugs; that I know.
    Say you have 8GB and turn 4GB into a ram disk. Having 4GB ram left means you can dispense with the swap file entirely, or you can set up one that's fixed size and small (say 1GB) if you feel less adventurous. Change the logical assignments for your normal temp directory/directories and browser cache and you should still have space left over. The only thing you need to keep on HD is your work folders for music/video decoding/encoding, as they'll likely need more space.

You're right concerning the XP driver being bugged, but there's at least one available that's fixed and improved. However, you'll be much better off buying one of the many commercial versions, as they'll give you a host of additional features. For instance, you'll be able to set it up so that your chosen folders are loaded into ram at boot instead of having to execute batch files or doing it manually.

As far as games go, you can simply load the whole game folder into ram and run it from there Granted, for some games this may not work, or they may require a host of re-assignments to be made, but most are pretty "independent" in my experience and will run without complaint. Just check if you can move the game folder from one drive to another and still run it; if so you'll have no problems.

By all means, it won't be useful for everybody - anybody using their PC in short stints and then shutting it down again will find the whole thing way too bothersome. Personally I never shut down the machine though, so whatever I have to do manually will only have to be done once a week or so, which is approx. how often I reboot.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Or you could just install Linux and not need to swap at all *shrug*, then mount /tmp & /var/tmp with tmpfs, sorted..
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 256GB, 850 EVO 1TBx2, 850 EVO 250GB, 840 512GB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB, 8x8TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber
    Ah, but then you're forgetting the weeks or months it'd take me to fully master a new OS ("mount /tmp & /var/tmp with tmpfs" is roughly equal to "Лондон опроверг сообщения о том" in my book). I've tried Linux 5 or 6 times over the years, but I've never become remotely sold on it. May take Ubuntu for a spin sometime soon, but all in all I really see no earthly reason why I should make the change. A few years back I saw the point in moving over, but these days Windows works and is even stable and reliable, so why swap?

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Granted I've been running Linux for years and I know how to get it to do what I want in no time at all, but I only got to that point by learning, computers aren't remote controls you can't just tap a few buttons and expect it to do what you're thinking... without thinking.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber
    Oh I know that much. Having been computer literate since I bought an Oric-1 some time ago, I'm reasonably sure I could get around Linux if I wanted. The point is that...there is no point in doing so that I can see. Back in the time of Win98 and to a lesser extent Win2000 there was a point, as Linux could provide far, far better stability and security - if you cared nothing for user-friendliness. Today Linux is, at long last, catching up in terms of useability, but in terms of stability it's no longer needed in the least. Security-wise its still no doubt way ahead, but then Windows is plenty secure if you only use a smidgeon of common sense.

Windows does everything I want, runs all the games and programs I might want, is stable, fast and secure (as long as I know what I'm doing) - so why would I want to swap?

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Well you can't see a point in anything if you don't try to learn the ins and outs. There's a whole lot more to Linux than stability and security, and it isn't as user-unfriendly as you'd imagine, dispite microsoft's 'get the fud' campeign.

Point is you're talking about getting 8Gb to put a ramdisk on windows (which is broken) for the pagefile (which linux wouldn't touch), and moving your temp directories onto the ramdisk (which works on linux brilliantly with the stable tmpfs (temporary filesystem)).

I've used Linux for a long time now, and one of the first mistakes I made was attempting to emulate my Windows usage, and you will too I'm sure. It's not just 'another windows' it's an entirely different approch to using your system. It's just something you may think about looking into on the side, whether it's dual-booting or virtualisation.

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber
    I'm absolutely sure you're right and that Linux is a superior OS in many, many, many ways. I'm no Windows fanboy (way too old for starters), I'm just lazy as hell and no longer all that interested in tinkering with all and sundry. Like I said, I'll likely give Ubuntu a try after a new machine is up and running in a few weeks, but as long as I have to dual-boot in order to run games and whatnot there's really no great point to it other than curiosity. I'm simply not willing to endure dual-booting when one OS can do it all (even if it doesn't do it as well).

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Yeah, dual-booting is a pain in the hole, VMware Server is an invaluable tool for testing things though.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    OK so we now have the situation where to get the benefits of the 8Gb of RAM you have to learn a new OS or buy a third party product. Even then its use is limited to temp files (4Gb max) or a game that you can load into the 4Gb that will work.

And 4x2Gb will run slower than either 2x2Gb or 4x1Gb. Is this only for those who have money to burn?

Thread Information