Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 120mm fans again

Thanks

120mm fans again

I know this has been asked a million times but I forget so Im gonna ask again. Im finishing my build next week and need some 120mm fans, 3 for my case and 1 for my Thermalright Extreme. I was thinking of either gettin these Scythe S-flex or these panaflo's. Also if the Scythes are the ones to get, shud I just go for the 1600Rpm models as Im going to use a fan controller anyways so I can always turn em down. I wud like good airflow from this selection but not too much noise, within reason ofcourse

Any wud be great
    Last edited by Harkin; 18-05-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Where did you get your Thermaltake from? I want one as soon as poss, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

As for the fans, I'm not much of an expert I've read lots of reviews, but can't seem to come up with any good conclusions. I can say though, that I've tried the Noctua 1200rpm and the Sharkoon 1000s. The Sharkoons are fantastic because they are just so quiet, but they dont move much air. The Noctuas moved more air, but where significantly more noisy than the Sharkoons, even though they had a lower DB rating in their tech spec.

As for the Scythes, I wouldn't know which is best, although they aren't hard to research on google, because they are so popular. But my bet would be that going with the 1600rpm would be best, because you can lower it with your fan controller. Its easy to slow down a fast fan, but you can't speed up a slower one.

So as long as you get a good one, it should slow down and be nice and quiet, and yet still provide good air flow. The Scythes are really popular so shouldn't let you down, although Clunk recommends "Yate loons for &#163;1.50 each from jabtech and a fan controller any day of the week" Sounds like a good bet to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobat View Post
    Where did you get your Thermaltake from?
    They are Thermalright not Thermaltake but I know what u mean I got them from here but just looked at they seem to be out of stock, try again monday cos the dood told me that they have more coming and they only put up like 10 or something at a time, also here was supposed to get them today, again try monday, but earlly monday as they're selling like hotcakes

Thanks
    Where did you get your Thermaltake from? I want one as soon as poss, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

As for the fans, I'm not much of an expert I've read lots of reviews, but can't seem to come up with any good conclusions. I can say though, that I've tried the Noctua 1200rpm and the Sharkoon 1000s. The Sharkoons are fantastic because they are just so quiet, but they dont move much air. The Noctuas moved more air, but where significantly more noisy than the Sharkoons, even though they had a lower DB rating in their tech spec.

As for the Scythes, I wouldn't know which is best, although they aren't hard to research on google, because they are so popular. But my bet would be that going with the 1600rpm would be best, because you can lower it with your fan controller. Its easy to slow down a fast fan, but you can't speed up a slower one.

So as long as you get a good one, it should slow down and be nice and quiet, and yet still provide good air flow. The Scythes are really popular so shouldn't let you down, although Clunk recommends "Yate loons for £1.50 each from jabtech and a fan controller any day of the week" Sounds like a good bet to me.
    Yeah the Yates are good, but mainly for Rad's and watercooling stuff, this wud be for case cooling and a Cpu cooler, might just get the Scythes. Just hope they ok and not some dribble as Im gettin like 4 all together

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Quote Originally Posted by Harkin View Post
    They are Thermalright not Thermaltake but I know what u mean
    hehe ahh thanks I always get that wrong I dont even know what Thermaltake is Probably some old brand I used to buy years ago.

here but just looked at they seem to be out of stock, try again monday cos the dood told me that they have more coming and they only put up like 10 or something at a time, also here was supposed to get them today, again try monday, but earlly monday as they're selling like hotcakes
    Sweeeeeeeet! Thank you v much I got the folks at Kustompcs to email me too But having a choice of 3 places is good. That way I'll get them as soon as possible. Can't wait

Yeah the Yates are good, but mainly for Rad's and watercooling stuff, this wud be for case cooling and a Cpu cooler, might just get the Scythes. Just hope they ok and not some dribble as Im gettin like 4 all together
    Hope they are ok. I doubt they would be crap because they get such great reviews and seem so hugely popular. By the way, what is "Rad's"?

Thanks
    hehe ahh thanks I always get that wrong I dont even know what Thermaltake is Probably some old brand I used to buy years ago. I think they just make cases, cud be wrong

Sweeeeeeeet! Thank you v much I got the folks at Kustompcs to email me too But having a choice of 3 places is good. That way I'll get them as soon as possible. Can't wait try the 1st link again tom cos like I said they only put out like 10 up at a time, so just keep checking YoYo

Hope they are ok. I doubt they would be crap because they get such great reviews and seem so hugely popular. By the way, what is "Rad's"?
    Rad is a radiator, Yates are known to work well cos they're pretty much silent but they dont make that much airflow which I need

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Ahhh I see. Thanks again for all the info Good stuff.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Loonies are fine for cases, and perfect for those thermalright coolers.

They have quite a large deadspot, but as the heatpipes are wide apart, that isnt a problem

You may also need to check if the Fixings for the fans require closed or open corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    well as you have a fan controller you could use these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=57&subcat=4

theyre incredibly powerful lol 190cfm is just amazing power and they shouldn't be to loud if you turn them right down with your fan controller I know someone with the 60mm version and they are quite when they are turned down but sound like a plane at full power lol

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    my god 190cfm. It gives you winnnngs!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Loonies are fine for cases, and perfect for those thermalright coolers.

They have quite a large deadspot, but as the heatpipes are wide apart, that isnt a problem

You may also need to check if the Fixings for the fans require closed or open corners.
    Hmm well might just get one of these loonies then as its a good price and use it for the Thermalright. Are u sure they wud be ok for the case though? Dont really have much CFM(47) compared to say Panaflo's on the same site which are 65CFM at 7v or even the Scythes@49CFM at 1200RPM? I wud need good airflow as Im gonna try and clock the nuts off it Obviously I dont want it to sound like Heathrow and I know the stats that Ive stated cant be taken too seriously, but those yates dont seem to be enuf or I cud just be wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
    well as you have a fan controller you could use these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=57&subcat=4

theyre incredibly powerful lol 190cfm is just amazing power and they shouldn't be to loud if you turn them right down with your fan controller I know someone with the 60mm version and they are quite when they are turned down but sound like a plane at full power lol
    Jeebus thats insane, dont think that it wud be worth it though, I wudnt use its full potential

Thanks
    lol but you can play flight simulator and turn up the fans and it would be like flying a real propeller plane get yourself a joystick and your set . Your not likely to achieve the full potential of most components in your pc has that stopped you before??? I heard that someone modded a mini-itx pc on a large piece of mdf and made a hover craft with these fans now a hovering pc would be so cool!!!!

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    If only these stupid companies didn't blag us with their decibel ratings This would be a piece of cake if we could just trust their numbers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
    lol but you can play flight simulator and turn up the fans and it would be like flying a real propeller plane get yourself a joystick and your set . Your not likely to achieve the full potential of most components in your pc has that stopped you before??? I heard that someone modded a mini-itx pc on a large piece of mdf and made a hover craft with these fans now a hovering pc would be so cool!!!!
    flight simulator wud be a trip tho

Thanks
    lol they say 60db surely that is high enough to prove that their loud. but also if you use a fan controller then for every deciel you get 3cfm of air which is a little unbelievable

Thread Information