Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C2d E6420 Nightmare!

Registered+
    Thanks

C2d E6420 Nightmare!

Anyone out here got real experience with the E6420 chip?
    Since changing my old A64 3800+ chip, I have wasted money and time and caused nothing but stress!
    The A64 x2 5200+ was bought and sold in a week, because of its high temperatures and noisey HSF...

In its place, a full makeover - spec as listed on the left.

I have overclocked very moderately to begin with, on standard cooling, and managed a best of only 2720Mhz, with my RAM timings relaxed to 5-6-6-18
    Temperatures worried me a little under load, so I just bought a Scythe Mine...

Finally got it installed, with some OCZ Ultra 5+ silver compound on it. The BIOS had reset itself after the mobo was removed, so I set the OC settings back to what I had them at... IT DIDNT BOOT Gutted! Wouldn't take the same moderate settings. If I upped the Vcore to a way OTT 1.4375 in the BIOS (reads at 1.51v in ASUS probe ) then it boots. I have left that Vcore, and have got it at 2.8Ghz now.

BUT - at this slightly improved clock speed, at this voltage, even with the Scythe Mine, the temperatures are higher than before. An idle of a poor 47DegC is not what I would of hoped for That Vcore cannot be healthy? What can I do?

Anyone going to guess where I'm going wrong? Have I got a dodgy version of this stupid overpriced ASUS board? Is it my PSU? Or the chip? Or is it someone above who hates me an aweful lot

HELP!!!!
    Thanks in advance, this is DOING MY HEAD IN!!!
    I don't want to offend anyone on this board, but please give me sensible replies, I dont need anybody blaming my installation skills (Im impatient, but I do this sh!t for a living )

Alan
    Last edited by thommo41; 12-06-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: If BIOS is set to AUTO VCore, the best OC I can get is around 2.6Ghz :(

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, for starters, you have bought a board that isnt a great overclocker, just average really. If it was me, I would sell it and get a different one.

Have you tried the guide?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • Hottentot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 at 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • SSD + HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Case:
      • CM HAF 932 (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 2690WUXi
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb
    I would start again by lowering the vcore to default (quickly) and running the processor at default speeds. Record the temperature. Running with a massive vcore of 1.4375 you should expect high temperatures.
    Also you should not need to relax memory timings until the memory is over 400 are you sure you are running the memory one to one with the fsb. What voltage is going through the memory (my Geil needs 2.1v).
    Use CPU-z to get the memory and FSB readings.
    Check the temperatures again at 2.6Ghz (use TAT) my CPU idles at about 45' with a case temperature of 40', under load it hits 60' which is normal.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    If 450 FSB "isnt a great overclocker", what the hell is?

I would save those comments for the ECS boards

I ran the E6420 on my P5W64WS Pro for a few days but couldn't reach the same o/c as my E6600 and so moved it to my other PC.

With your RAM etc, you should be able to do 400 FSB (at default multi) and around 1.4v for 3.2GHz, mine would do more but required looser memory timings due to my RAM, so couldn't be bothered to push it much further......3.2GHz-ish is plenty

Your issues sound related to the chip or heatsink fitting to me.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    Have a look at your heatsink, is it fitted correctly? I have a e6420 myself, it idles at the low to mid 20's under full load its around 32-35ish and that with an overclock to 3.2. It can do 3.4 but needed to much power so dropped back down to 3.2.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    If 450 FSB "isnt a great overclocker", what the hell is?

I would save those comments for the ECS boards
    ?
    stupid betond belief.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Is the HSF installed correctly? Thanks for the insult
    The stock HSF wouldn't do more than 2720Mhz with the Vcore set to AUTO in the BIOS. And even then, it decided to use a VCore of 1.42...

Shaithis - you have this board right? What is your BIOS revision? and do you fancy discussing your settings off-topic?

As I said before, this WILL NOT overclock beyond 2600ish at the moment, UNLESS I increase the VCore in the BIOS, which in turn, increases the temperatures and obviously risk frying the chip... I suspect the motherboard, but has anyone got any reason to suspect perhaps the PSU?
    Re: the board being a bad overclocker - the HEXUS review (and many others) suggest you are wrong... 3.2Ghz should be easily reached, possibly even with std cooling, certainly with a Scythe Mine installed...

Cheers
    Alan

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    Using the latest BIOS (from a few weeks ago, 0701 or 0702 iirc)

I have hardly changed any BIOS settings, RAM is set to SPD, FSB to 388 (was at 400 when I had the 6420 installed).

The FSB termination voltage is set at the second option (not red or pink)

CPU 1.45v

Everything else set as standard or OFF.

Now, if its over-heating, I fail to see how it can be the board or PSU because that would mean over-volting, which doesn't sound right when you say that it overclocks more if you select a higher voltage....if its over-volting I would expect you to hit 3.2 easily without changing any BIOS settings....

It has to be either the CPU or the contact between CPU and HSF IMO.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo41 View Post
    Re: the board being a bad overclocker - the HEXUS review (and many others) suggest you are wrong... 3.2Ghz should be easily reached, possibly even with std cooling, certainly with a Scythe Mine installed...

Cheers
    Alan
    I didnt say it was a bad overclocker, I said it wasnt great, and compared to other boards it is just average, and was/is vastly overpriced.

Assuming that you will automatically get to 3.2ghz based on reviews is quite foolish. Your board may or may not get you there, your cpu may require a lot of extra voltage, in which case, standard cooling is worthless.

Good luck with it though
    stupid betond belief.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Clunk, a quote from a review... "We get the impression that this is a board for the seasoned and serious overclocker using Core 2 Duo"

I didn't choose this board though, it came to me in a "part ex" deal on my old AMD kit. It just so happened I got a sort of "overpriced exotic" board in the deal - if you were offered a board that retailed at this price and had good reviews, Im sure you would do the same deal!

I didn't assume 3.2Ghz based on reviews, It was based on a very popular opinion on forums and sites all over! General opinion suggests 3.2 is easy on this chip and this motherboard platform. Obviously not so in my case.

The contact between CPU and HSF isn't something I can do anything about really, it sits as flat as it can do, the pins are all clipped in and pushed down as far as they can be, knowing my luck, I probably have a misalligned Mine cooler or CPU cover!

I'm about to give up to be honest, this is far too much hasstle...

One last thing, I left the sticky plastic cover on the bottom of the Heat sink fan, could this be why I have issues at all?

A

P.S. You know Im takin the pi$$ with my previous comment I hope

Thanks
    OK: First thing, im sure you are joking about the 'sticky back plastic....'.

Secondly, you should not be having this much trouble getting to the promised land of 3-3.2ghz with this chip.

You also have decent enough RAM for that not being the problem.

However, I would have a look at the NB voltages, as with the older chipsets that were designed with a lower FSB in mind (compared to p35s which have 333 in mind)you are likely to need more volts to get that high.

i would do the following:

1) reset BIOS
    2) following clunk's guide, set DRAM voltage to 2.2 (i assume your patriot is guaranteed to this, if it isnt, put it at what it is guaranteed to), and set to 5-5-5-15; set the memory divider to <1:1 (ie 3:2, or 6:5)
    3) then set Vcore to 1.35v
    4) then go ahead and up the FSB to 300 and see how she goes.
    5) if you are booting into windows and are getting at a very very very minimum 2 lots of PRIME95 (each in seperate folder, each with different CPU affinity via the taskmanager), then see how much further you can go
    6) id next move on to around 350 and see what happens.

Just dont forget - the northbridge is where the FSB is, so if that is getting enough volts then you should be fine, if things are crapping out, try to increase it, but start low and go slow. if your ram is running on a low divider that takes the RAM out of the equation.

You really should NOT be having to increase Vcore to beyond 1.35v for a 3-3.2Ghz cpu speed, and if you are having to do this then there are two things that could be the cause:
    a) motherboard (as clunk had alluded to, but im sure not meant any harm by; at the end of the day its a professional mobo and so things are different, end of)
    b) you have a dud chip (btw did you mention where you got it from and the week/code on it)

I have had my e6420 for about a week now and have only played with it over the last weekend, and i got to 3280mhz without really batting an eyelid. the difference between my setup and yours?

I have D9 RAM (which means i can clock it higher, but this doesnt really count if you run yours on a divider to see how the chip/mobo does) and

I have a p35-based motherboard, and

I have a 620W Corsair PSU.

not trying to start an argument or whatever about your motherboard, but i do think that is the likely culprit here.

also dont forget, i am using inferior cooling to yours - XP90C + panaflo M1A 92mm, no intake, and two very slowly running 80mm exhausts.

hope that helps, if not, ask away and we will try.

Registered+
    Thanks
    5aboy, possibly the most usefull reply yet, thanks...
    OK, so I have just taken the Mine cooler off, and back on goes the Intel cooler... The temperatures are 1-2 DegC higher. BUT - the OC abilities are no better or worse. Plus my case side panel will fit now

So, Im trying in a few moments what you said, Im currently 1:1 on RAM with 330 FSB. I will drop the memory divider now, and try a higher FSB. RAM Voltage at 2.2 already.

Let you know in a few moments... I wont hold my breath...

OK, those few moments have past. NO LUCK on the lowest divider, it made no difference. FSB at 331 and Vcore on AUTO wouldnt boot. I then set it back to 330 and it wouldn't get to WinXP. WTF??? FROM BAD TO WORSE
    Im now on 325FSB and it seems OK, I daren't run anything though, I cant be crashing this PC any more tonight...

I think it's fair to say that I am the most unlucky PC builder of 2007 - A64 3800, to A64 x2 5600, to C2D E6420 and STILL not happy

Any suggestions? Anybody want a prestine ASUS P5W64 WS Pro motherboard? Make me an offer

Alan
    Last edited by thommo41; 13-06-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    im willing to bet its your motherboard that just doesnt like it.

i am sure you are running latest BIOS, and that at stock everything is working A-OK (including the RAM at 800 44412);

sorry to hear about it, but i think thats about it. if i was you, id honestly ask myself - is it worth the bother? i have always thought - if i get good components and they dont overclock but work ok at stock, then although not thrilled id be happy (as it does what it says on the tin).

have you tried dropping the multiplier to see if it is the FSB that is screwing you over - id drop it to 6 and let it boot at 266x6 (get into windows, do superpi thing and reboot if OK)

and then id see how high i can go on the FSB - im betting that this is the limitation (which points to mobo, consider using the CPU VTT setting - i have heard setting it at 1.55 helps but i dont know what it does or means really; and consider using a higher voltage on NB).

Thanks
    • Queelis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32 GB 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 512 GB, Toshiba E300 3TB, WD Green 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce RTX 2060 Super
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet PurePower 10 600W
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Silent Base 601
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Gbit
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo41 View Post
    One last thing, I left the sticky plastic cover on the bottom of the Heat sink fan, could this be why I have issues at all?
    Umm... I don't know how to say it.. OMG. The HSF should touch the CPU metal to metal via the thermal paste. You have basically melted the plastic cover onto the CPU and HSF. Good luck scraping it off.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    I think the OP's comments might have to be

Registered+
    Thanks
    You appear to be located in Lithuania, in which case, I forgive you for not picking up on the sarcasm

The whole overclocking thing with my PC has failed, I am now just one of probably a very select few who bought a C2D and have to run it at barely more than stock speeds.

What annoys me more is I actually paid out money more than once, to go from a std A64, to an A64 x2, then stupidly to where I am now.

Oh well, when will we learn that PCs are here to give us grief and cost us un-necessary expense...

Cheers
    A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information