Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 30

Thread: E6600 Overclocking Problems

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    E6600 Overclocking Problems

    Hi Guys I've been sniffing around these boards while overclocking my machine but not registered until today as I need a bit of help now and was hoping someone would be kind enough to offer some advice

    You can see my config from the sig, I'm also using the Asus Silent Square Pro which is working wonders at the moment, the problem I'm having is random reboots when my CPU is clocked above stock, I just get a BSD even when not under load and when doing boring things like checking email! I have used Orthos and CPU-Z to check the clock and speedfan + coretemp to check temps. Orthos doesn't like working in blended mode on my machine, it throws up an error and closes at random intervals so I've been running the CPU test instead and after running for 1 hour the highest my temps have spiked is 48 degrees although they usually stick at around 46 for the duration when clocked to 355X9. I'm using the overclocking guide on this site as it's the best I've found so far (Thanks Guys ) but am still having problems, could anyone help pretty please!!

    Please bear in mind that I haven't done any overclocking since the days of jumpers and using a pencil on the L1 bridge so my knowledge is somewhat hazy on the area

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I should add, the FSB's I've tried and found unstable range from 290 up to 355, I was hoping that the board would just push through the lower end problems as they shouldn't be an issue with the chip but that didn't seem to work out

  3. #3
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,497
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall
    It could be to do with certain things you need to disable in the bios to overclock effectively.

    It might be in here

    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=103676

    I havn't really read it but it should help.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    thanks mike that was the guide i was talking about, i did try and post the link but can't as i'm a noob

    i have disabled all the cpu features as in the guide, also changed the memory settings. at the moment i'm wondering if it could be due to a dodgy ram module but am unsure of how to test that

  5. #5
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    Did you manually enter the ram timings and voltages?

    Is the cooler mounted properly?, double check this.

    How are the temps load and idle?

    Run memtest for a few hours.

    Is your 4/8 pin EPS cable from the PSu plugged into the board?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,120
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    22 times in 21 posts
    Memtest86+
    runs from a floppy or cd. Start by pressing [F8] key if using cd, when u startup.
    or
    Memtest HCI
    Or
    OrthosThis is a general stability test but running it with large ffts will test nenory more than cpu.
    or
    OCCT
    Another good stability tool. this takes 30min to run but is a good quick way of determining that your stable.

    so in summary 1st 2 to check memory
    last 2 general stability - if they fail it may be cpu or memory issues.

    welcome to the forum btw
    luck

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Did you manually enter the ram timings and voltages?

    Is the cooler mounted properly?, double check this.

    How are the temps load and idle?

    Run memtest for a few hours.

    Is your 4/8 pin EPS cable from the PSu plugged into the board?
    I've manually entered the RAM settings as per the guide linked above (5-5-5-15, can't remember the rest off the top of my head and I'm at work so can't check)

    The cooler is properly mounted, I was very anal about this as I've burnt out a chip before through my own idiocy!

    temps went up to 48 degrees at a 3.2 (355x9) clock whilst under load but are usually around 46 under load, 28-30 degrees ish on Idle.

    Not run memtest yet but will do as soon as I get home

    The 4/8 pin EPS cable (I'm assuming you mean the heatsink fan cable) is plugged in and working as I've checked the fan speeds etc in the BIOS.

  8. #8
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    No, not the fan cable, there are 2 wires from the PSU that plug into your motherboard. One os the main 24 pin ATX lead, the other is a smaller 4 or 8 pin cable, and it usually goes at the top of the motherboard.

    The memtest thing will help you rule out other stuff. memory problems are a ballache to diagnose properly, so if it is ram, its sometimes just better if one of the sticks is dead, rather than dying

    You 100% sure that you have manually entered the correct voltage for your ram?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    No, not the fan cable, there are 2 wires from the PSU that plug into your motherboard. One os the main 24 pin ATX lead, the other is a smaller 4 or 8 pin cable, and it usually goes at the top of the motherboard.

    The memtest thing will help you rule out other stuff. memory problems are a ballache to diagnose properly, so if it is ram, its sometimes just better if one of the sticks is dead, rather than dying

    You 100% sure that you have manually entered the correct voltage for your ram?
    ah, that cable! yeah, that's plugged in and working fine

    i'm really hoping it's not ram as that'll be a complete pain, i'm hoping I've just been a noob and overlooked something silly!

    i'm not 100% about the ram voltage, I've entered the ram settings on the guide but if there's something else i should be doing then I've missed it...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    20 times in 18 posts
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post

    You 100% sure that you have manually entered the correct voltage for your ram?

    Just a general observation and is loosely linked to the thread:-

    Surely with more voltage and the ram runs hotter?

    On auto on DS3P the voltage for Geil is 1.85v...yet minimum supposed to be 1.9v and should be 2.1 on the stick, yet on every test I've done e.g orthos, my system is stable (erm well haven't done memtest).
    So if I have a decent OC and it's stable why increase mem voltage?

  11. #11
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmonkey View Post
    ah, that cable! yeah, that's plugged in and working fine

    i'm really hoping it's not ram as that'll be a complete pain, i'm hoping I've just been a noob and overlooked something silly!

    i'm not 100% about the ram voltage, I've entered the ram settings on the guide but if there's something else i should be doing then I've missed it...
    have you, by chance, set your ram to run at 800mhz and then started to overclock the cpu?

    You need to make sure that you have entered the correct voltage for the ram. take one of the sticks out, itll say something like 1.9v or 2.1v, go into the bios, there will be a setting to change the dram voltage, possibly near the bit where you change the fsb.

    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur2 View Post
    Just a general observation and is loosely linked to the thread:-

    Surely with more voltage and the ram runs hotter?

    On auto on DS3P the voltage for Geil is 1.85v...yet minimum supposed to be 1.9v and should be 2.1 on the stick, yet on every test I've done e.g orthos, my system is stable (erm well haven't done memtest).
    So if I have a decent OC and it's stable why increase mem voltage?
    Yes, the ram will run hotter, and dont call me shirley

    I wasnt actually telling YOU to up your voltage, I was telling magicmonkey to check that his is correct.

    if your system runs stable at lower voltage than the ram needs, then great, no need to change it, but you have to remember that it is rated at what it is rated at for a reason, and setting it to the rated voltage is just one less thing to worry about when fault finding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    20 times in 18 posts
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post


    Yes, the ram will run hotter, and dont call me shirley

    I wasnt actually telling YOU to up your voltage, I was telling magicmonkey to check that his is correct.

    if your system runs stable at lower voltage than the ram needs, then great, no need to change it, but you have to remember that it is rated at what it is rated at for a reason, and setting it to the rated voltage is just one less thing to worry about when fault finding.

    BTW does the principle of a faster side bus equals faster computer, or am I confused about something in the past:-


    Which is faster....... cpu@9 X 300 = 2.7ghz

    or

    cpu@6 X 450 = 2.7ghz

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    have you, by chance, set your ram to run at 800mhz and then started to overclock the cpu?

    You need to make sure that you have entered the correct voltage for the ram. take one of the sticks out, itll say something like 1.9v or 2.1v, go into the bios, there will be a setting to change the dram voltage, possibly near the bit where you change the fsb
    the ram was set to 1:1 so that should be ok, i haven't changed the voltage though as i want to try and leave that alone as much possible. i'll give this a go when i get home later, fingers crossed...

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    20 times in 18 posts
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post


    Yes, the ram will run hotter, and dont call me shirley

    I wasnt actually telling YOU to up your voltage, I was telling magicmonkey to check that his is correct.

    if your system runs stable at lower voltage than the ram needs, then great, no need to change it, but you have to remember that it is rated at what it is rated at for a reason, and setting it to the rated voltage is just one less thing to worry about when fault finding.

    BTW does the principle of a faster side bus equals faster computer, or am I confused about something in the past:-


    Which is faster....... cpu@9 X 300 = 2.7ghz

    or

    cpu@6 X 450 = 2.7ghz

  15. #15
    SeƱor Member Flewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    765
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    27 times in 24 posts
    • Flewis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P45 Platinum
      • CPU:
      • Intel E7200 @ 3.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Corsair PC5400 @ 720MHz 4-4-4-11
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x ATI HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Zeus
      • Case:
      • AOpen H700B custom watercooled
      • Operating System:
      • Vista HP x64
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet fibre
    At equal clock speed the higher fsb will give more performance.

  16. #16
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    Without trying it, I would have said that the 9x300 would give better performance, just because @ 400-460 ish FSB, there is a large hit in memory bandwidth due to the changeover of chipset straps at 400.

    Try it and see. 400 onwards to about 460= drop in memory bandwidth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. overclocking 3000 venice problems
    By cj2mrhat in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-09-2005, 03:04 PM
  2. Wierd overclocking problems...
    By Jonny in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-08-2005, 10:59 PM
  3. problems with overclocking.. need help urgently............
    By abhijitd316 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 21-07-2005, 06:17 PM
  4. xp1500m/nf7s overclocking problems
    By Zathras in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 28-06-2004, 10:47 AM
  5. Weird overclocking problems
    By Hype in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •