Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142131 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 176 of 639

Thread: C2D Overclocking Guide For Beginners P5K Add-On

  1. #161
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    You are meant to run it at the standard, out of the box settings, thats how people compare it.

    If you register, you can upload your results and post the links.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  2. #162
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts
    • Skeet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K
      • CPU:
      • E6420 / ASUS Silent Square Pro 3Ghz OC
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Corsair TwinX XMS2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type R 580W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Silver
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 194WT
      • Internet:
      • BT Internet 2.5 Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    You are meant to run it at the standard, out of the box settings, thats how people compare it.

    If you register, you can upload your results and post the links.

    So what do these results mean?

    It seems to think my memory is running at 667Mhz (its running at 750Mhz), why is the CPU test so slow...what is the purpose of these results, seeing as I have no idea about such things.

    Needs explanation!

    Many thanks.
    Openreach ADSL Special Faults Engineer...( I do other stuff too though!)
    </naughty Agent edit>

  3. #163
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    11 times in 10 posts
    • tinners's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel P35 Shuttle
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6700 @ 3.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ - 2Gb + Corsair TwinX 2Gb
      • Storage:
      • Raptor X 150Gb + 2TB Tranquil Windows Home Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX ATI 5770
      • PSU:
      • Shuttle PSU
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SP35P2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP (A04)
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk, hovering around 1Mb
    I'm getting a P5k VM next week and am wondering how it will overclock with an E6300. I read through the guide but cant fathom out where the divider settings area of the BIOS is.
    Am used to Gigabyte boards which dont have the "DDR-667 / DDR-800 etc." memory settings, you just enter the divider.
    If I want to go to 400 FSB to get to 2800 what do I do with the RAM ? If I set it to DDR800 will it work OK ?
    What about if I want to go to 430, how do I stop the RAM running out of spec ?
    What does 1:1 actually look like in the BIOS ?
    Thanks

  4. #164
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts
    • Skeet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K
      • CPU:
      • E6420 / ASUS Silent Square Pro 3Ghz OC
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Corsair TwinX XMS2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type R 580W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Silver
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 194WT
      • Internet:
      • BT Internet 2.5 Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by tinners View Post
    I'm getting a P5k VM next week and am wondering how it will overclock with an E6300. I read through the guide but cant fathom out where the divider settings area of the BIOS is.
    Am used to Gigabyte boards which dont have the "DDR-667 / DDR-800 etc." memory settings, you just enter the divider.
    If I want to go to 400 FSB to get to 2800 what do I do with the RAM ? If I set it to DDR800 will it work OK ?
    What about if I want to go to 430, how do I stop the RAM running out of spec ?
    What does 1:1 actually look like in the BIOS ?
    Thanks
    Read the first part of the guide, then read the ASUS P5 section.

    Set up the BIOS as described with the multiplier at 266 which is stock.

    Set your memory timmings and VDIMM to what your memory supplier suggests, don't leave it on Auto.

    Once you have done that, run ORTHOS for 8 hours plus to check stability.

    Then, where the FSB says 267, select it and just enetr what you want, say 333.

    As you have not set your memory to manual, it will auto adjust it to be 1:1, so with FSB at 333 your RAM will run at 667

    The divider etc, is in teh JUmper Free Configuration area.

    Just read the thread mate.

    If you set the FSB to 400, it will set the ram to 800.

    But again, read the thread and do as it says.
    Openreach ADSL Special Faults Engineer...( I do other stuff too though!)
    </naughty Agent edit>

  5. #165
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet View Post
    So what do these results mean?

    It seems to think my memory is running at 667Mhz (its running at 750Mhz), why is the CPU test so slow...what is the purpose of these results, seeing as I have no idea about such things.

    Needs explanation!

    Many thanks.
    It often reports the system specs wrong.

    I'm not sure why you are running it, was it fun?

    The cpu test is slow because it isnt using the gpu power for that test. Its slow even on a 3.6ghz quad.

    It should give you a rough idea of stability, especially if you are overclocking your vid card. It can show up other problems as well, such as unstable RAM, or PSU.

    Its just another toy really
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  6. #166
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts
    • Skeet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K
      • CPU:
      • E6420 / ASUS Silent Square Pro 3Ghz OC
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Corsair TwinX XMS2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type R 580W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Silver
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 194WT
      • Internet:
      • BT Internet 2.5 Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    It often reports the system specs wrong.

    I'm not sure why you are running it, was it fun?

    The cpu test is slow because it isnt using the gpu power for that test. Its slow even on a 3.6ghz quad.

    It should give you a rough idea of stability, especially if you are overclocking your vid card. It can show up other problems as well, such as unstable RAM, or PSU.

    Its just another toy really

    Cheers mate.

    Dunno, thought I should run it...could do with a guide for clocking the GPU, have downloaded RivaTuner.

    Poster above needs some gentle persuasion methinks!
    Openreach ADSL Special Faults Engineer...( I do other stuff too though!)
    </naughty Agent edit>

  7. #167
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    11 times in 10 posts
    • tinners's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel P35 Shuttle
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6700 @ 3.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ - 2Gb + Corsair TwinX 2Gb
      • Storage:
      • Raptor X 150Gb + 2TB Tranquil Windows Home Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX ATI 5770
      • PSU:
      • Shuttle PSU
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SP35P2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP (A04)
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk, hovering around 1Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet View Post
    Read the first part of the guide, then read the ASUS P5 section.
    Set up the BIOS as described with the multiplier at 266 which is stock.
    Set your memory timmings and VDIMM to what your memory supplier suggests, don't leave it on Auto.
    Once you have done that, run ORTHOS for 8 hours plus to check stability.
    Then, where the FSB says 267, select it and just enetr what you want, say 333.
    As you have not set your memory to manual, it will auto adjust it to be 1:1, so with FSB at 333 your RAM will run at 667
    The divider etc, is in teh JUmper Free Configuration area.
    Just read the thread mate.
    If you set the FSB to 400, it will set the ram to 800.
    But again, read the thread and do as it says.
    Thanks mate, am not a complete noob just wanted to know how to set the divider to 1:1. I think you answered it by just leaving it at Auto and then setting it to ddr-800 when I go over 400 FSB

  8. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    8 times in 7 posts
    • Skeet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K
      • CPU:
      • E6420 / ASUS Silent Square Pro 3Ghz OC
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Corsair TwinX XMS2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type R 580W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Silver
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 194WT
      • Internet:
      • BT Internet 2.5 Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by tinners View Post
    Thanks mate, am not a complete noob just wanted to know how to set the divider to 1:1. I think you answered it by just leaving it at Auto and then setting it to ddr-800 when I go over 400 FSB
    I didn't think you were a complete Noob.

    I am however, but I have learnt lots from Clunks thread mate..
    Openreach ADSL Special Faults Engineer...( I do other stuff too though!)
    </naughty Agent edit>

  9. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    11 times in 10 posts
    • tinners's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel P35 Shuttle
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6700 @ 3.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ - 2Gb + Corsair TwinX 2Gb
      • Storage:
      • Raptor X 150Gb + 2TB Tranquil Windows Home Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX ATI 5770
      • PSU:
      • Shuttle PSU
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SP35P2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP (A04)
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk, hovering around 1Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet View Post
    I didn't think you were a complete Noob.
    I am however, but I have learnt lots from Clunks thread mate..
    yeah sorry for slight overreaction it was late

    Ive read all this and the original thread and helped me get my e6400 up to 3Ghz with no volt increase and RAM running faster than spec. I just couldnt fathom out how the Asus board set the divider, as on the Gigabyte board it doesnt run 1-1 when you set it to auto.

    Just one final clarification, if I set the memory to ddr-800 in the bios will this make sure it never goes past this speed even when pushing up the fsb ?

  10. #170
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinners View Post

    Just one final clarification, if I set the memory to ddr-800 in the bios will this make sure it never goes past this speed even when pushing up the fsb ?
    Nope, it will start the RAM off at 800Mhz and as your increase the FSB, the RAM speed will also increase, so unless you have PC2-8000/85000+, you dont really want to be doing that at this stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  11. #171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    832
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    11 times in 10 posts
    • tinners's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel P35 Shuttle
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6700 @ 3.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ - 2Gb + Corsair TwinX 2Gb
      • Storage:
      • Raptor X 150Gb + 2TB Tranquil Windows Home Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX ATI 5770
      • PSU:
      • Shuttle PSU
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SP35P2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP (A04)
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk, hovering around 1Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Nope, it will start the RAM off at 800Mhz and as your increase the FSB, the RAM speed will also increase, so unless you have PC2-8000/85000+, you dont really want to be doing that at this stage.
    OK cool I'll leave it at auto then and make sure the fsb stays 350 - 400. I dont need this PC to be anything special speed wise, and 2500 - 2800 is plenty. (its a media build) I also dont want to do any voltage increases so I keep the heat down.
    In fact I dont really need to overclock it at all, I'm only doing it because it's there.

  12. #172
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    It is impossible to say what is reasonable to expect from your particular cpu at a certain voltage because they are all different.

    Dont worry about the memory bandwidth for now. That is in the more advanced parts of the guide. Have a read of the first part of the guide that is based on the P5B, it should fill in any gaps, as the P5K guide assumes that you have read the first part

    Dont be scared of adding voltage to the NB, I have been running this at full whack since day one, and the same for the P5B's before it. All you need to do, is make sure that there is some airflow through the case, and youll be fine.

    Same with the CPU voltage, dont be scared of adding it in small notches, just keep an eye on the temps.

    So, in a nutshell, dont worry about too many things at once while you are learning, and see how high your cpu will go at temps that are acceptable for your cooling, and once you settle on an overclock that is good for you, THEN you can go and mess around with the RAM and timings/speeds
    I am convinced I have a bad chip/mobo, it's probaly the chip, as this is the 2nd mobo, I RMA'ed the 1st one after some posting issues. My RAM seems fine, I ram memtest with the stock settings, for a couple hours without errors. This entire week I have been tinkering with higher FSB's > 333. I have spent a lot of time trying to get stable at 3.2Ghz (400x8). I upped to the VCore to 1.45, NB to 1.55, Orthos fails within 2 mins. Unless there are some other setting on the P5k Vanilla version that need to be changed I am not sure what else to do at this point. I even loosed the RAM timings to 5-5-5-15 @ various voltages, still no stability. Seems like the best I can do is 3.0 (333x9) with most of the settings in this guide. Oh well 3.0 is 25% more performance for nothing so I'll take it. Sucks though, this board and e6600 should be able to do 3.6Ghz (400xx9). In any case my 8800 320M will be a bottleneck long before my chip is. If there are any other suggestions other than RMA'ing my CPU (I do not want to be down for weeks) I'll take the 3.0 and leave it alone.

  13. #173
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    Post pics of your current bios settings please mate, I'll see what I can do
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  14. #174
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    15 times in 12 posts
    What an awesome guide, shall be taking notes from this on monday when hopefully my scan order will arrive Thanks clunk

  15. #175
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    Post pics of your current bios settings please mate, I'll see what I can do

    Check a few posts up, I posted my current bios settings, you tried helping me last weekend, no luck however.

    Pics posted below, sorry about the stupid flash...
    Last edited by robucf4; 27-07-2007 at 06:48 PM.

  16. #176
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts




    Last edited by robucf4; 27-07-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142131 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HOWTO: Overclock C2D Quads and C2D Duals - A Guide v1.0
    By graysky in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 07:44 PM
  2. C2D Overclocking Guide for Beginners
    By Clunk in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 908
    Last Post: 17-06-2008, 07:00 PM
  3. Best online overclocking guide for...
    By icp222 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 09:42 AM
  4. Idiots guide to overclocking E6600 on a P5B deluxe
    By yan816 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM
  5. Idiots guide to overclocking my Intel Core Duo 2 6400/ASUS P5B Deluxe
    By qu0th in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-12-2006, 03:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •