Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no pagefile in XP

Thanks
    Originally posted by Ravens Nest
    I personally set my one at 1024 minimum and 1024 maximum.
    What you're doing is something I'd recommend if you're using Win98SE. However, Win2K and WinXP have fairly intelligent allocation methods of allocating virtual memory, so I won't worry about letting the swapfile expand...
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thanks
    Originally posted by Bindibadgi
    1gig? small?
    Double your installed RAM is fairly conservative already.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Ravens Nest
    Originally posted by spikegifted
    What you're doing is something I'd recommend if you're using Win98SE. However, Win2K and WinXP have fairly intelligent allocation methods of allocating virtual memory, so I won't worry about letting the swapfile expand...
    Well thats what i thought as well but when i play games like GTA3 or Gothic 2 that stuttered a bit so tried different virtual memory settings and thought i'd try the old 98/ME setting and it seemed to help a bit.

And 1gigabyte perminant swap file is small nowadays, is most computers sold have Harddrives with over 40 gigabyte on them.

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by spikegifted
    Double your installed RAM is fairly conservative already.
    i use 30% pagefile with a gig installed! I think that's slightly conservative.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    Personally I keep my pagfile a set size (1024mb on a dedicated partion, no less, to complement 512 megs of RAM) simply to keep it nicely defragmented and out of the way of my installed progs.

With your gig of RAM I'd be tempted, depending on HDD space to fix the PF to a gig as well.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Originally posted by acidrainy
    does it really help..... ?
    what happens if you say.... play with photo-shop for too long and use up your ram ?
    If your worried about Photoshop taking to much mem, set the limit for resources used by PS to a low amount.

On the other hand, if you ues PS to a greater extent, do it like my wife, and allow it to use75% or more of your computer resources.

I just know that after she has used PS, I need to reboot to be able to do much else.
    I used to have something here.

Thanks
    I agree, fixing the size of the pagefile is pretty effective. If you want to go nuts in trying to increase it's speed, you can try loading it onto a small FAT-16 partition like we used to do for NT servers (the ones that didn't require security).

Registered+
    Thanks
    If you got it set that High that is more than windows use so you defeating the purpose of nopagefile arn't you?.I tried nopagefile but I play alot of games and I would get messages saying windows is going to increase your pagefile by so and so,I got tired of it and went back to letting XP do the job.But it was a tab faster with nopagefile setting engaged.BTW plz forgive all my grammer,I,m not to bloodie tight on writting in a smart way.

IT CAMETHROUGH "MY FIRST POST "

I,m going to throw a party
    Last edited by SHARKMEAT; 06-08-2003 at 08:11 PM.
    TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS

Thanks
    The page file is also used for the storing the contents of the RAM should you have a system crash.

It gets saved as a dump file, hence hwy you get the blue screen as it dumps the info to the page file and rename's it to system.dmp normally.

Thanks
    yeah - but have you ever known anyone to use the crash dump - 1GB text file?

Thanks
    nope, I went on an M$ Course on how to read and understand em

Yet to this day I don't care about em!

It's quicker to rebuild a machine than try to understand it.

Thread Information